Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-01-2008, 08:39 PM   #106
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
so, what is this book you are quoting ? if the rest of it lives up to the citation, i must definitely add it to my list...
Patrick O'Brian's "Master and Commander" series, also known as the Aubrey and Maturin series. Historical fiction, but O'Brian, particularly through the character of Maturin, is a master of dry humor.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:54 PM   #107
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I have acquired a sudden desire to bake a pear tart for my partner ...
make it a peach tart and bring it to Arbroath in December near Christmas and you've got a deal.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2008, 10:42 PM   #108
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I'm not sure whether Mrs Wolf would approve of strange women turning up with patisserie.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:27 AM   #109
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Vera (a redhead this time), at sea, squid, coffee smoothies, vomit. I'm having a seriously difficult time with this next one.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:37 AM   #110
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I'm not sure whether Mrs Wolf would approve of strange women turning up with patisserie.
particularly given the subtext patisserie has acquired in this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Vera (a redhead this time), at sea, squid, coffee smoothies, vomit. I'm having a seriously difficult time with this next one.
pff, you're just teasing us now... or are you trying to build suspense ? here's some "pre-release buzz" for you for motivation : buzz buzz buzz...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Patrick O'Brian's "Master and Commander" series, also known as the Aubrey and Maturin series. Historical fiction, but O'Brian, particularly through the character of Maturin, is a master of dry humor.
thanks ! i have added it to my (already far too long ;- ) list of books to read... sounds good, i don't know how excited i get about historical fiction (although i like historical mysteries, so why not ?) but i'm all for dry humor.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2008, 11:24 AM   #111
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

“The romance is just gone”, wept Peg to her cousin Vera. “We never even do it anymore. The closest I get to romance is checking him for tics. He goes out ever’ night, and I just know he’s down at The Wet Spot (‘does your Mama still dance there, V?’ ‘No, not since her hip replacement’) and I just don’t know what to do. I mean, he’s no champion hog-caller”, Peg pauses to dab her eyes and blow her nose, as Vera blushes a particularly porcine shade of pink, “but he’s all the man I got. How do you and Harv keep the fires stoked-up? Why you’re always at each other. They don’t make these double-wides like they used to – we can hear you two, especially when the dogs get to howling”.

“You just got to keep it spicy. Mix things up, Peg. A man likes variety”, says Vera. “Why don’t you surprise him, play dress-up? You could play ‘Hooter’s Girl and the Traveling Salesman’ or ‘Babysitter and the Pizza Pie Delivery Boy’”.

“Which delivery boy? You mean my nephew Joey? Oh… I don’t think Hank’d go for that", said Peg, with a faraway look in her bleary, close-set eyes.

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 03-02-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:56 PM   #112
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unbelievable! You have a gift, sir.

A future best seller launched during e-book week from here at MR? It needs only tasteful images and plenty of good clean humor.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf The Passion of the Crust.lrf (100.4 KB, 289 views)
File Type: prc The Passion of the Crust.prc (198.2 KB, 297 views)
File Type: imp The Passion of the Crust.imp (38.1 KB, 298 views)
Old 03-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #113
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

I think we all ought to congratulate ourselves on what has to be the most thoroughly hijacked thread in history. I pity the person who stumbles in expecting to find a technical discussion on naming "eBook Display" devices.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #114
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Naming ebook display devices? Oh, you mean Vera! Actually, it's all Nate's fault - as usual. He started it.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:22 PM   #115
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Thank goodness - I've been thinking re: the amorous adventures of Harv and Vera, that I needed someone to blame.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:07 PM   #116
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
it did try to be a serious thread for a little while, but it really stood no chance against the force of entropy of our combined efforts...

...luckily !!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:36 PM   #117
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
You people are insane.

I like that.
Usually, I'm the one causing the insanity, what with my very being composed of 'eldritch horror' and whatnot...not too much whatnot though, 'twould spoil the mix. I don't know where you people got it.

Taylor, you are a genius of the trashy narrative.
Was thinking too of that poor soul who attempted an honest discussion of a worthy topic, only to have it devolve into most worthy silliness.

Jon: What or where is Arbroath?
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:50 PM   #118
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Thank you, thank you... I thought casting Vera's Mama as a stripper recovering from hip replacement surgery might just be my proudest achievement to date.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #119
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Verily. It was a nice touch.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:27 PM   #120
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
Verily. It was a nice touch.
Agreed. A close tie with visions of lineoleum, though.

Tags
birth of the cool, farking and lower farking, hugo and lefty, liseuse, ongoing saga, saga, screaming mad adrian, the birth of the cool, the goose, unutterable silliness, vera