Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Smile Simon & Schuster surprised me.

I was considering purchasing a book from Barnes & Noble on my Nook. I was sure that I had read the previous book in the series several years ago on my PDA (LIT format). I wanted to look through it to refresh my memory of the storyline. I used to buy LIT format books from various sources. When my PDA died and I switched to epub books, I liberated all my LIT books and loaded them into Calibre (or so I thought). However, when I looked for that particular book, it was not there.

I checked my Fictionwise account and did not see the book, so I went to Simon & Schuster. I hadn't logged on to my account there for several years. However, there was the book I was looking for with a link to download to Adobe Digital Editions. So I downloaded the epub version, and I was good to go.

I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. With all the bad press that publishers are getting these days, it was nice to have something good happen.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well once you purchase a book, it is supposed to stay on your account so it does not strike me as a big deal that it was still there.
However if it made your day then good
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
Mikou
Zealot
Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Amazon Fire 10, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One
I'll have to keep this in mind for future purposes. It is nice to have a backup at the site where you buy a book. Some stores I frequent limit downloads by limiting the total # or setting a time limit on downloads.
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Well once you purchase a book, it is supposed to stay on your account so it does not strike me as a big deal that it was still there.
The point though is that S&S updated everyones books to ePub when they dumped other formats (they actually did this a couple of years ago). Most others haven't done that.

As for a book staying on your account. I wouldn't ever count on that as 100% as it's bitten people more than once.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
As for a book staying on your account. I wouldn't ever count on that as 100% as it's bitten people more than once.
I would consider it standard for books to stay on your account so anything less is a letdown. But I guess letdowns are common in this business.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
I never depend on a seller to store my books for me. I always backup my purchases. Somehow I let this one book fall through the crack. Out of all the places that I bought books in LIT format, this is the only time I was able to get a new copy in epub. I purchased LIT format books from several different places.

Fictionwise: They will let me download my books in LIT format only.

Amazon: They won't even acknowledge that I bought books in LIT format. The books I bought from them don't even show in my account.

Harper-Collins: They don't even have customer accounts anymore. My books are gone from there.

That's why I was so surprised that Simon & Schuster had my books and let me download an epub file.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Fictionwise and Random House parted ways a while back, and I was unable to download the Random House books I had purchased a few months prior.

Neither Fictionwise nor Random House would provide me with the ebooks, and I learned a valuable and very expensive lesson about downloading and backing up books immediately after purchase.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I would consider it standard for books to stay on your account so anything less is a letdown. But I guess letdowns are common in this business.
Relying on someone else to store your books for you is foolish in the extreme, IMHO. Once you've bought a book, the person who has to take responsibility for it is you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:40 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
Amazon: They won't even acknowledge that I bought books in LIT format. The books I bought from them don't even show in my account.
It's news to me that Amazon have EVER sold LIT-format books. When did they do so?
Old 06-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's news to me that Amazon have EVER sold LIT-format books. When did they do so?
Back in 2005/6 if I remember right, up to just after the time they bought mobi.

There was a mini uproar as you only had a couple of months to download everything.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:18 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Back in 2005/6 if I remember right, up to just after the time they bought mobi.

There was a mini uproar as you only had a couple of months to download everything.
Thanks. I don't remember that. I remember them selling PDF-format books, but not LIT.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:25 AM   #12
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It should be standard for obsolete files to be freely replaceable since DRM attempts to prevent folks from converting the files themselves.

You should probably thank Simon, though. Schuster is a bastard. Or so Simon says.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #13
Mikou
Zealot
Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Amazon Fire 10, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One
I've been burned twice with vendor bookshelves. I bought a Lit ebook from Amazon, removed the drm and converted it. At some point, I lost the original file. When I tried to find it in my Amazon account, I discovered that the ebook service was gone, as was my link to the book. I never had any warning.

The 2nd time was with ereader.com. My credit card was stolen. I replaced it & updated my ereader account with the card#. I was able to redownload all the books so they were linked to the new card... all except one. With that one, there was a link, but it was connected to the wrong book... a book I hadn't purchased & didn't want. Customer support (via Fictionwise) was completely unhelpful because the book I had bought was no longer for sale on their site. To get this book would involve me going to my bank in hope that I could the old card#. Instead, I tracked down the last 8 digits of my previous card that was saved in my Mac's Terminal app from previous drm removals. I already had software tools that could open the book with only the last half of the number.

I would always advise making at least 1 backup of ebooks, but I appreciate and prefer to support vendors who makes things easier for their customers.
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #14
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
People's expectations run high sometimes, IMHO. I don't really expect anything stored anywhere else to stay there forever and be retrievable by me. Yeah, I'm cynical. I download and back-up and email off-site anything that is truly important to me...and I still get burned sometimes (usually because I did something stupid or was lazy).

For S&S to come through in this way, with a converted book, after years of account inactivity, is pretty mindboggling to me. Good for them!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote