Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-13-2012, 05:30 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
35 Ed McBain novels on sale for 99 cents [SALE ENDED]

Amazon has 35 novels by Ed McBain on sale for the cheap price of .99 each.

These are the 87th Precinct novels and it's only for today.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-14-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Wowser!

Here's the list of Ed McBain / 87th Precinct Novels from edmcbain.com:
(with the 1950's titles in 99¢ Kindle edition linked)
Cop Hater (1956)
The Mugger (1956)
The Pusher (1956)
The Con Man (1957)
Killer's Choice (1957)
Killer's Payoff (1958)
Lady Killer (1958)
Killer's Wedge (1959)
'Til Death (1959)
King's Ransom (1959)
Give The Boys A Great Big Hand (1960)
The Heckler (1960)
See Them Die (1960)
Lady, Lady, I Did It (1961)
The Empty Hours (1962)
Like Love (1962)
Ten Plus One (1963)
Ax (1964)
He Who Hesitates (1964)
Doll (1965)
Eighty Million Eyes (1966)
Fuzz (1968)
Shotgun (1969)
Jigsaw (1970)
Hail, Hail The Gang's All Here! (1971)
Sadie When She Died (1972) Independent Mystery Booksellers Association "100 Favorite Mysteries of the Century"
Let's Hear It For The Deaf Man (1972)
Hail To The Chief (1973)
Bread (1974)
Blood Relatives (1975)
So Long As You Both Shall Live (1976)
Long Time No See (1977)
Calypso (1979)
Ghosts (1980)
Heat (1981)
Ice (1983)
Lightning (1984)
Eight Black Horses (1985)
Poison (1987)
Tricks (1987)
Lullaby (1989)
Vespers (1990)
Widows (1991)
Kiss (1992)
Mischief (1993)
And All Through The House (1994)
Romance (1995)
Nocturne (1997)
The Big Bad City (1999)
The Last Dance (2000)
Money, Money, Money (2001)
Fat Ollie's Book (2002)
The Frumious Bandersnatch (2004)
Hark! (2004)
Fiddlers (2005)
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Damn, what a deal.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I've wanted to read these for quite a while. It's a great price, but for me a series has to be read in order and it appears the first book is among those not available digitally. I wish I could be sure that the not available books will indeed come out as ebooks otherwise I'm likely to never read these.

Anyone read anything about the status of the other books? (there are a few from other pubs also out already) Does Amazon the rights like they do for these 35 books or does someone else hold them? I know this series has lots of fans so thought maybe someone had read something.

The ones currently missing as ebooks from Amazon or others are...
Cop Hater (1956)
The Pusher (1956)
Killer's Payoff (1958)
The Heckler (1960)
Doll (1965)
Sadie When She Died (1972)
Let's Hear It For The Deaf Man (1972)
Eight Black Horses (1985)
Mischief (1993)
And All Through The House (1994)
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's really NOT necessary to read this series in order. Each is a standalone book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is not good at all that the series is incomplete. I suggest a boycott until all the books in the series are available. If we start buying the ones available, then the publisher is only going to think it doesn't matter that the series is incomplete.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Looks like none of the novels involving the Deaf Man -the 87th's nemesis- are here..
Ah well, I think I'll pick up a few anyway.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Looks like none of the novels involving the Deaf Man -the 87th's nemesis- are here..
Ah well, I think I'll pick up a few anyway.
In that case it's even less important that they aren't all there, since those are the only ones where one might possibly gain something by reading in order.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's really NOT necessary to read this series in order. Each is a standalone book.
But as you pointed out in this post you get more out of the series by reading in order...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=102949

...reading a series in order is just a thing I generally have to do. There have been too many times someone's told me it's OK not to and it's turned out I wished I would have.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
But as you pointed out in this post you get more out of the series by reading in order...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=102949
You do, but in this particular series it's an exceedingly minor factor. Given that this is a 1-day sale, it would be ridiculous to miss out on such a great deal because of that - a real case of "cutting off your nose to spite your face".
Old 01-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is not good at all that the series is incomplete. I suggest a boycott until all the books in the series are available. If we start buying the ones available, then the publisher is only going to think it doesn't matter that the series is incomplete.
Rights issues can be complex and AFAIK Amazon bought the rights to everything they could. It's quite possible some other publisher holds the rights to the missing books.

McBain's estate also appears to not have been willing to sell worldwide rights for these as I'm seeing reports of these being geo restricted and from what I remember Amazon has said they'd always buy worldwide rights where they could.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You do, but in this particular series it's an exceedingly minor factor. Given that this is a 1-day sale, it would be ridiculous to miss out on such a great deal because of that - a real case of "cutting off your nose to spite your face".
Oh, I'm sure I'll buy them, but I know I won't likely start reading them until book one becomes available (and book three).
Old 01-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
McBain's estate also appears to not have been willing to sell worldwide rights for these as I'm seeing reports of these being geo restricted and from what I remember Amazon has said they'd always buy worldwide rights where they could.
Yes, these appear to be US-only. I'd buy them like a shot if I could.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Rights issues can be complex and AFAIK Amazon bought the rights to everything they could. It's quite possible some other publisher holds the rights to the missing books.

The rights holders need to learn that holding back some of the books is a really stupid idea. The only way to do that is not to buy any of the others ever until all are released.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The rights holders need to learn that holding back some of the books is a really stupid idea. The only way to do that is not to buy any of the others ever until all are released.
We don't know that they're being held back. Some other publisher may hold them and just hasn't put them out as ebooks.