Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-14-2011, 10:13 PM   #721
darkofday
Enthusiast
darkofday began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
it is actually the wrong time of year for me to work with these things
Yeah,it is really the wrong time of year for students like me(you also students?) to work these things.All kinds of exams are in queue.
Any way,our work in real society is more important.Just do the work on this forum for fun,not with pressure.
darkofday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:35 PM   #722
darkofday
Enthusiast

I'm interested in the Copyright on Duokan lite,i think you too.
original text:
多看阅读器软件版权归北京多看科技有限公司所有。多看阅读器软件及其所包含所有组件仅提供给个人出于非商业 目的的使用,所有将其用于任何商业目的的行为必须事先获得多看科技甚至各组件开发者的许可。
感谢文泉驿微米黑
translation:
The copyright of Duokan reader software is owned by Beijing Duokan Science and Technology company.Duokan reader software and all components is only provided to to individuals for non-commercial use,all commercial purposes use must must obtain permission of Beijing Duokan Science and Technology company even the developers.
Thanks to WenQuanYi WeiMiHei font.
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 11:32 PM   #723
FethryDuck
Addict
FethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle3, DXG
Oh, my gawd

darkofday - does that mean you work all night long ?

Will have a look at it - - when I have had some sleep.

BTW - I did something I haven't done before with Calibre.
Gutenberg book UTF-8 text, then search Metadata, ( I also added that info in start of book ) and then run convert to text, after you have selected Kindle format. It DID actually accept text in and text out. Result was actually a pretty perfect layout of the page on Duokan-lite.

I was really pleased by the result. Perhaps I was just lucky with it, but you should try it.
It would be superb if it work with PDF in, text out, but I will have to try that tomorrow.

Just wanted to give you this tip and hope it actually deliver results like I got it. Oh, I turned letter size to minimum on the Kindle.

Hmm.... perhaps you could make your own layout size according to your wanted letter size ?
FethryDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:51 AM   #724
FethryDuck
Addict
FethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enough

@darkofday: - I no longer live with the pressure of exams, but it is a busy time of the year. Yes, the Copyright notice is of interest. Could not have foreseen my involvement in something that still isn't OpenSource and the amount of frustrations. But your translation lead me to the following site, which I found interesting:
http://wenq.org/

As mentioned other places, I would like to see everyone enjoying this, be able to communicate and exchange, rich or poor, blue,black, or green.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:51 AM   #725
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
@FethryDuck:

just wondering if the new beta supports turkish characters.

namely "Ğ,İ,Ş,ğ,ı,ş"

Duokan just omits these characters now. I wonder if this changed in beta.

can you please try the text file i attached with the characters i mentioned?

thanks in advance
Attached Files
File Type: txt turkish character test.txt (28 Bytes, 228 views)

Last edited by reprep; 06-15-2011 at 07:55 AM.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2011, 08:06 AM   #726
FethryDuck
Addict

Duokan lite

Translated part of the Chinese presentation page at
http://www.duokan.com/forum/thread-16818-1-1.html

The attached file shows how it looks. At present, only Chinese menus and background. It is very limited - at least for now, but that is of course some of the idea. The few included functions is not fully implemented yet, or so it seems. ( example - not sure how the web search/wifi functions is intended to work )

In many ways, they seem to have a more democratic discussion as how things evolve, then many other developing projects. Feedbacks from users are taken into account and this can for example favour wishes from the majority, which are Chinese of course. ( this is my impression, anyway.. )

Added info: - missed out on another document which is attached here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=739
Attached Files
File Type: pdf lite.pdf (271.7 KB, 460 views)

Last edited by FethryDuck; 06-16-2011 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 06-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #727
Whitewolf99
Whitewolf99 began at the beginning.

Device: none
tried dklite out. seems like there is no directory-support anymore in dklite, at least i can't find an option to trigger it as in duokan. would be a amjor bummer, since that was the main reason for me to use duokan.
Whitewolf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #728
FethryDuck
Addict

Hope this may be helpful for several ...

I believe your supplied test-file is wrong. Attach some Wikipedia page at the bottom.

Your file look like this:

Ð,Ý,Þ,ð,ý,þ

akþam

akam

Was that what you intended ? Or perhaps the letters shown in your online-input ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprep View Post
@FethryDuck:

just wondering if the new beta supports turkish characters.

namely "Ğ,İ,Ş,ğ,ı,ş"

Duokan just omits these characters now. I wonder if this changed in beta.

can you please try the text file i attached with the characters i mentioned?

thanks in advance
NOW - your file gave this result in Duokan-Lite:

ak m
akam

THEN I did confuse myself, tried converting your text-file with Calibre, which does not produce the correct result as your file is already "wrong". ( these things can be a bit tricky ) Hmm... tested an idea: - uploaded your test-file to google-translate, with "detect language" and translate into "turkish" - gave this result:

Ğ, İ, Ş, ğ, ı, ş

Akşam

akam

And in Duokan-Lite ? Exactly the same
( what Duokan-standard never did )

Note that Microsoft has patched together their own "non-standard" code-pages for several languages, something some may have to keep in mind.
( those files do not translate correctly to Apple/Linux/Unix for example )

Also note that text-files on project Gutenberg have sometimes been wrong, even when they should be utf-8. ( I have wasted a day until finding the errors ) And you may translate epub,mobi,pdf, etc. to text files with Calibre.

There is a Linux/Unix browser called Lynx - which you also find ported to Microsoft Windows, I believe. It is a text-web browser. It is very nice to download and save text-versions of blogs, articles, etc. If you simply adjust your terminal width to something close to Kindle, press "p" (print) and select to file, then the result may be like attached file.

The file is simple to edit the way you want, and I read it on the Kindle

Duokan-Lite does not have a print-screen feature yet, so I cannot use that.

IN CLOSING: yup, Duokan-Lite does handle it
Attached Files
File Type: txt Wikipedia:Turkish_characters2.txt (5.2 KB, 294 views)
Old 06-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #729
FethryDuck
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf99 View Post
tried dklite out. seems like there is no directory-support anymore in dklite, at least i can't find an option to trigger it as in duokan. would be a amjor bummer, since that was the main reason for me to use duokan.
Think I did see this mentioned on their site, but keep in mind that this Lite-version is probably not intended as a full-fledge reader the way the Duokan-regular is. I suspect there may be added functions as it matures.

Something seem to have failed for me, as I should have the regular Duokane as well. The idea is that this lite-version will live along both Amazon and Duokan. Somewhat like fbkindle, perhaps ?
Old 06-15-2011, 12:14 PM   #730
Whitewolf99
Whitewolf99 began at the beginning.

Device: none
you should have. i can change between dklite, duokan and kindle without a problem. had duokan installed previously and then just overwrite the "DK_System"-folder as darkofday described it.
Whitewolf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #731
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by FethryDuck View Post
I believe your supplied test-file is wrong. Attach some Wikipedia page at the bottom.

Your file look like this:

Ð,Ý,Þ,ð,ý,þ

akþam

akam

Was that what you intended ? Or perhaps the letters shown in your online-input ?

NOW - your file gave this result in Duokan-Lite:

ak m
akam

THEN I did confuse myself, tried converting your text-file with Calibre, which does not produce the correct result as your file is already "wrong". ( these things can be a bit tricky ) Hmm... tested an idea: - uploaded your test-file to google-translate, with "detect language" and translate into "turkish" - gave this result:

Ğ, İ, Ş, ğ, ı, ş

Akşam

akam

And in Duokan-Lite ? Exactly the same
( what Duokan-standard never did )

Note that Microsoft has patched together their own "non-standard" code-pages for several languages, something some may have to keep in mind.
( those files do not translate correctly to Apple/Linux/Unix for example )

Also note that text-files on project Gutenberg have sometimes been wrong, even when they should be utf-8. ( I have wasted a day until finding the errors ) And you may translate epub,mobi,pdf, etc. to text files with Calibre.

There is a Linux/Unix browser called Lynx - which you also find ported to Microsoft Windows, I believe. It is a text-web browser. It is very nice to download and save text-versions of blogs, articles, etc. If you simply adjust your terminal width to something close to Kindle, press "p" (print) and select to file, then the result may be like attached file.

The file is simple to edit the way you want, and I read it on the Kindle

Duokan-Lite does not have a print-screen feature yet, so I cannot use that.

IN CLOSING: yup, Duokan-Lite does handle it
well i was at work when i uploaded the file so i guess notepad on windows XP screwed the file.

"Ğ, İ, Ş, ğ, ı, ş

Akşam

akam"

was the content of the file but you already know that, i am sorry for the loss of your time because of me not being so careful about coding differences of operating systems.

In the end i am very glad as duokan is finally supporting turkish characters.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by reprep; 06-15-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:23 PM   #732
FethryDuck
Addict

Exclamation Corrections !

VERY SORRY GUYS - MAY HAVE FOOLED YOU

And I seem to have fooled myself !

Not sure why they named this release Duokan-Lite, but it seems to be a full fledged reader. I cannot say for sure, but I have enclosed some Pdf file that show much more of it. I have received fragments in my attempt to understand what their design intentions could be and I may have jumped to some wrong conclusion.

There are actually several comments around some suggestion I wrote, which may have lead me astray. Google-translation may leave much to interpretation. From the start, I have been concerned about character encoding, localization, etc. ( Notice that language localization has never been completed in the regular Duokan ! ) At first sight, several of the functions is not revealed, and this also lead me astray. There are plenty of other details, giving rise to such impression.

Perhaps they have functions they plan to add to it as it is developed. It is lacking localization input, dictionary, while having web-funcionality. And there are more which simply point in a different direction. I am simply a bit confused by this.
Anyway - for those that have not checked any of it, the attached pages will give a much better impression. ( I wonder why I did not find those pages earlier, but I somehow I did not )

If you have any info or correction to my input, I will welcome it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf lite_2.pdf (869.9 KB, 384 views)

Last edited by FethryDuck; 06-15-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:53 PM   #733
FethryDuck
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf99 View Post
you should have. i can change between dklite, duokan and kindle without a problem. had duokan installed previously and then just overwrite the "DK_System"-folder as darkofday described it.
Done a few more attempts, and it did work this time. Thanks

There has been several at the Duokan-site reporting the same problem, if I understand them.
Now I uninstall before intall again. Perhaps it cleaned up something.

btw, it does seem more obvious that this is not my initial hope of the software.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:16 AM   #734
darkofday
Enthusiast

Duokan lite has been changed to open-test,download link:http://dl.dbank.com/c08ha2mv8l
Old 06-19-2011, 09:09 AM   #735
reprep
Addict

unfortunately the link is slow as hell. about 10 kb/s per second.

Is it still for only kindle 3? I only have a kindle DXG now.