Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-11-2009, 11:10 PM   #1
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Kindle for PC perfect for cookbooks - my wishlist

Oh man ... I hate the new Kindle for PC program; it's damaging to my wallet.

Up until now I've avoided buying cookbooks: I don't really want more physical books around (I live in a small place), and they are difficult to browse and use on the Kindle.

But, they are perfect on my big monitor at home -- exactly where I'd use the cookbooks. Fast to browse -- the scroll wheel paging is perfect for this, and if I want to save or print out a recipe, I can just use screen tools to grab some text.

And, if I import my screen capture of the recipe to Evernote, it will even make it text searchable and taggable (and Evernote desktop makes this dead easy). Perfect!

After just one hour of usage, I've bought 2 cookbooks. This is WAY too easy.

My wish list for the Kindle for PC:
* Text search! Now where was that zucchini pizza crust recipe?
* Two pages per view for widescreen viewing -- though this does make me wonder if I should get a second monitor to mount vertically.
* Easier adjustment of paging. I like to see the recipe all on one page. I can use 'go to location' to fine tune it, but that's a pain.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:31 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
And, if I import my screen capture of the recipe to Evernote, it will even make it text searchable and taggable (and Evernote desktop makes this dead easy). Perfect!
Nice idea. I have been evaluating going paperless at home... and I think Evernote is my weapon of choice.

My wife has a bunch of favorite recipes that are printed out and stuffed in the cabinet. I was thinking that I could scan these in and create a recipe notebook... it would be the perfect excuse to get a kitchen computer.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:19 AM   #3
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
My wife has a bunch of favorite recipes that are printed out and stuffed in the cabinet. I was thinking that I could scan these in and create a recipe notebook... it would be the perfect excuse to get a kitchen computer.
And an excuse to get a Fuji Scansnap. Scan straight to Evernote.

I so want to justify getting one, but honestly, I don't get all that much paperwork and I only handle it once to process and file and sometimes once again at tax time. I can't justify scanning it all in. All my bills are sent direct to Paytrust (not me), so I never even see that paperwork.

If I ever get the guts to destroy my last few cookbooks to scan them quickly, then I might buy one. It may happen -- I hired a firm a few years ago to digitize 700 CDs and haven't touched the physical CDs since. The few books left that I use may join the party someday. It's so weird. I used to have thousands of books (and hundreds of cookbooks) -- bookcases lining every spare wall space -- I dreamed of a house with a library as a kid. Now they sit in boxes waiting for me to sort and sell/donate.

Last edited by zartemis; 11-12-2009 at 12:23 AM.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:40 AM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I love having cookbooks on my Kindle, too. I can search them when I'm at the store and I just plop the Kindle in a cookbook holder with a protective shield when I cook.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:10 AM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Zartemis,

You might be interested in this article: A Kindle in the kitchen

It doesn't answer your points, but it might be of passing interest.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
I hired a firm a few years ago to digitize 700 CDs and haven't touched the physical CDs since. The few books left that I use may join the party someday.
There is a scanning service called Pixily that does bulk scans I am considering using to get a jump start on digitizing everything. They will even send your scans to your Evernote email for you. However, they don't do bound documents. So, you would have to separate all your books into individual pages. Of course you would have to do that with the ScanSnap too. (Yes I covet one of those, my flatbed scanner is slow and single sided.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:27 AM   #7
pikelet
girl from oz
pikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-300, Cybook Gen3
I had a kitchen computer set up for a while (with one of those rubber keyboards so that spills don't matter), but it took too much space on the bench.

I was thinking to myself today about those internet fridges that were all-the-hype five or six years ago, and thought that an ebook reader for recipes in a (maybe magnetic) holder on the fridge would be much more useful, especially if the holder could be used as a stand and to protect the reader from splashes.

I have a nice collection of vintage cookbooks and they are a lovely snapshot of a different era, but in practice it's too hard to remember which ones have which recipes - it's so much easier to search for recipes online, but I hadn't thought of digitizing them to make them searchable... until now
pikelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:00 AM   #8
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
oh this is a lovely idea! but I think I will have to hang onto the pbooks as well in this case. there is just something about a well cookbook stocked kitchen!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #9
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
What I've been doing is slowly converting some of my favorite cookbooks by scanning the most used recipes. If I ever have the time and the inclination then I'll work on scanning the rest of the cookbooks. I have way too many cookbooks but I tend to only use at most a handful of recipes from each.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote