Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-16-2009, 05:09 PM   #46
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddave View Post
I also have a Belkin travel plugin strip that has 2 USB connectors on the end. Unless there's some communication required to charge the Reader, will these charge the battery?

Alternatively, maybe the iGo power tip for the Sony PSP (tip # A54) might allow the wall charger to plug into the 5.2 volt input?

ddave
Do try it and report back to us on your success, or otherwise, ddave.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:55 AM   #47
melroed
melroed began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
grahamH, after pressing the reset button at the back, try sliding the on/off switch twice in quick succession. That usually works for my 505. It might be a long shot in your case, but it doesn't hurt to try.
Thank you - this worked for me on the 700 - I was getting frustrated!
melroed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #48
Crisp
Crisp began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
grahamH, after pressing the reset button at the back, try sliding the on/off switch twice in quick succession. That usually works for my 505. It might be a long shot in your case, but it doesn't hurt to try.
Amazing, I tried everything and ultimately this is what saved my PRS-700. Thank you so much.
Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:19 PM   #49
macthekitten
Enthusiast
macthekitten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macthekitten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macthekitten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS700
yay! i was ready to cry so i came on here, gave that a try and it worked like a charm! yay! thanks
macthekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:47 AM   #50
lasai
lasai began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-700
Hello,

I bought the ebook last week and also have the screen frozen. But I think it's a problem of allignment of the screen, because sometimes I press on the settings button but the one that higlihts is the collections one.

The soft resset doesn't work. I try to do a hard reset but as I have to press the yes button to accept it I can't. I deleted all files in the reader but it doesn't work either.

I don't know what else I can try.
lasai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:29 AM   #51
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasai View Post
Hello,

I bought the ebook last week and also have the screen frozen. But I think it's a problem of allignment of the screen, because sometimes I press on the settings button but the one that higlihts is the collections one.

The soft resset doesn't work. I try to do a hard reset but as I have to press the yes button to accept it I can't. I deleted all files in the reader but it doesn't work either.

I don't know what else I can try.
you probably broke the digitizer. contact sony for service. you will be charged $29
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #52
Momo_Germany
Connoisseur
Momo_Germany began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 (great!!) +DX, Sony PRS-505,-700,-600 (dislike!), iPad
Hi everybody!

I have the same problem: my PRS-700 shows "Starting up" for hours and nothing happens.

Started with Ebook Library crashed while the reader was connected. After removing the USB-cables the reader didn't work anymore.

Tried soft reset - nothing happened.
Charged it for some hours with the wall.charger until the read light went off
Tried soft reset again - nothing

Connecting with the PC and starting ebook Library - the Library says "error" concerning the internal memory and doesn't detect the cards at all.

Tried hard reset as described here (pressing the "Back" and the "Vol-+-button simultaneously while the reader said "starting up") - nothing happened. No question for hard reset on the screen.

The reader just keep saying "Enjoy the new revolution in reading... Starting up..."

Believe me, at the moment I don't enjoy this "revolution" very much...

The worst is that now I can't find a way to save my annotations I did on a book and need for my work. They are on one of the memorycards, so they won't be affected by a hard reset, but I can't get any access to them without a working reader and I need them for a meeting on Saturday. Wanted to save them just as this problem occurred.

So does anybody have an idea or suggestion what I could try now after having tried everything that came in my mind and everything I found here so far?

I have bought the reader at B+H Photo and ordered also an extended warranty, so hopefully this warranty will work getting the problem solved after some time, but I would need a solution now at least to get connection to my annotations immediately.

Any ideas would be welcome!

Thank you, greetings from Germany,
Momo
Momo_Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:17 PM   #53
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Does the reader boot correctly with the card removed? BTW, you can use an external card reader or some other device (e.g. digital camera) to read the card.
Otherwise, try this:
1) press reset
2) connect to PC with USB cable
3) turn on
If you get to the "USB connected" screen, copy everything off the internal memory and clear it. Running a disk check won't hurt too.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:33 PM   #54
Momo_Germany
Connoisseur

Hi igorsk,

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

1) with or without the cards - the reader doesn't start, is showing the "Starting up"- screen permanently. If I press the reset-button nothing happens(with and without the cards). If I press it and then slide the switch-on-button twice thescreen becomes white for a second, then again it says "staring up" and nothing happens.

2) If I connect the reader with the PC, the PC shows the sign that something is connected but if I try to open the device it says there is no device. So I can't get access to the internal memory of the reader. Some time ago if I opened ebook Library and then connected the reader without the cards it at least showed the internal memory in the ebook library but only marked with "error". Now this isn't shown either. Some time ago I tried to restart the PC with the connected device, but then not even the PC started anymore. I had to set the PC back with "GoBack" to get the PC work again.

So I don't know what to do anymore. I'll try to buy a card-reader which can read the MemoryStick Pro Duo, as my camera (great idea b.t.w.!) only reads SD-Cards and the book with my annotations is at the Memory Stick Pro Duo.

Do you think I will get access to the book and the annotations with the help of a card reader? Will the ebookLibrary allow me to save my book with the annotations from there? This would be a great help for the moment, even if I'm really unhappy with this situation and the fact that it seems as if there won't be a chance to get the reader working again...

Thank you for your help, greetings,
Momo

PS: Excuse my bad English.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #55
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Re 2: did you try connecting USB after resetting the Reader (as I described in my previous post)?
As for the card reader, even if eBook Library won't see it (I think it will), or won't let you export annotations, open the file "card:\database\cache\cacheExt.xml" in a text editor or Internet Explorer - it will contain your notes.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:24 PM   #56
Momo_Germany
Connoisseur

Hi igorsk!

Any try to reset the reader failed. It simply didn't accept it.

Whenever I try to connect the reader (still frozen at "Starting up") now my PC becomes instable and I don't get any connection via the PC to the reader. Really crazy and somehow shocking.

Thak you for encouraging me concerning the annotations. Yes: this works (connecting the card with a card-reader and opening the book via ebook library) and I'm happy for that at least, but I have no idea anymore how I could get my reader to work again...

Best wishes,
Momo
Old 08-20-2009, 05:52 PM   #57
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddave View Post
I just bought a Sony PRS-700 and I've been having similar, though not as extreme, issues. It looks to me like it's a battery or electronic problem. When I first charged it, I had to have it charging for 5 hours and then overnight. After the 5 hour charge, from a wall charger, the screen was frozen. But, the red light was on supposedly indicating that it was charging. I then plugged it into my laptop USB overnight and it seemed to work OK.

However, I noticed after a couple days that the battery meter was showing that it already needed to be charged. I had only turned 20 or 30 pages, way way below their quote of 7000 page turns. So, I plugged it in and charged it up again. But, again, after 2-3 days the battery meter indicated it could be charged again. This time I had only read a few pages. It seemed to me that the battery has a high discharge rate (maybe due to a leakage current?).

Now at home, I plugged it into my home desktop USB port overnight. This time, when I turned it on in the morning, the battery meter was lower than the night before.

I'm concerned that the battery is bad. I plan to call Sony about this later today.

ddave
I had the same issue with my 700. I ended up sending it back (to Loredo TX) & they sent me a refurbished unit back; so far it's holding a charge.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:28 PM   #58
igorsk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo_Germany View Post
Any try to reset the reader failed. It simply didn't accept it.
When you press reset button, the Reader actually just turns off. Since E-Ink can keep the image without power, it seems to stay "on". To start it back, you need to toggle the power switch. So, please try the following in the exact sequence:
1) press reset on the Reader (you should feel a click). The screen will remain the same.
2) connect it with the USB cable to PC
3) toggle the power switch.
The LED light should start blinking yellow, the screen should blank and then change into "Starting up...". After a minute or so, you should get the "USB connected" screen. Check the available drives on the PC and if you get the Reader's, copy all books off it and delete everything or format it.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:25 PM   #59
Momo_Germany
Connoisseur

Hi igorsk!

Wow, after 4 or 5 tries this worked!!!! I could get it connected with the PC in that way and the PC now shows me the device of the internal memory (I removed the cards before). Now I deleted nearly everything of that internal memory, but it doesn't allow me to delete the folder "database", as it always says it isn't empty. I can delete what is in there, but after doing so, there is immediately again a new folder in it, called "cache" with the files "cacheEXT.xml" and "media.xml".

If I try to format the drive of the internal memory of the reader with my PC, what will happen? Will the firmware disappear?

And do I have to format the cards too?

Thank you again so much for your help,
Momo

Last edited by Momo_Germany; 08-20-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:09 AM   #60
Momo_Germany
Connoisseur

igorsk, you are GREAT!!!

IT WORKED!!!!!!!

I'm so happy!!!

I had to re-format the internal memory after having done what you've suggested above to let the PC detect the internal memory, as the PC didn't allow me to simply delete everything which was in the internal memory.

I was afraid to re-format it, as I feared the firmware might disappear too, but this didn't happen.

Now everything is great again, I didn't have to re-format the cards, they work fine now.

THANK YOU, igorsk, you made my day!!!

Many greetings and best wishes,
Momo