Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-25-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
Manfred L
Manfred L began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Kobo Glo Freezes multiple time per day

I'm very disappointed with the Kobo Glo. It freezes multiple times a day. A couple of examples:

When I clicked the 'Eject' icon in the Kobo desktop software, it told me that it was safe to disconnect the device. However, the Kobo Glo was frozen after that and continued to display the message "Connected and Charging". I assume Kobo has invented wireless powersupply as no cable was connected to the device.

When I put the the Kobo Glo to 'Sleep' for a longer time, e.g. 15 to 20 minutes it won't wake up any more.

At this stage the paperclip is my most important tool in using this eReader.

Any of the members in this forum have an idea how I can reduce the problems with the Kobo Glo?
Manfred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
From what I've seen around here, your problem, while not unique, is uncommon. It sounds like you have a good case for a return.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One/Kobo Touch/iPad3
if it's of any consolation, mine kobo touch just doing the same every once in a while. kobo should be renamed into frozbo or freezbo. it's a mess...
Tacty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Do you have a microSD card in it? When I moved a microSD card (with 700 books on it) from my Nook Glowlight to my Kobo Glo the Kobo started freezing. Once I popped the card out there were no problems. I'm trying to start now with a relatively empty SD card to see if it still has issues.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:54 AM   #5
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
When I eject my Kobo Touch from my PC running Calibre it continues to display "Connected and Charging" for a while even after actually disconnecting the cable. I assume it actually continues to charge while the cable is still connected since the actual USB port doesn't power down... I also check the widget on the taskbar to make sure it is actually safe to disconnect the cable, just in case the software does not disconnect. It seems rather easy to corrupt the Kobo sqlite database, so take care to be sure it is disconnected or be prepared to delete the database and set up the device again.(mostly enter email and password and it rebuilds the database.)

It takes a while after disconnecting either end of the cable to update the display on the Kobo Touch and indicate it is actually processing. This can take a while apparently depending on what the Kobo Touch is doing???

Best advice is to be patient and try giving it a little time to see if it makes a difference, within 30 seconds or so I'd say you'd see something. It may take considerably longer if the Kobo Touch is processing a lot of changes for all I know -it's far from lightning fast and does not immediately indicate processing. If not, hold the power switch for 20 seconds, then hit it again for a couple seconds to turn the Kobo on.

I realize you have a Glo, but I'd assume the process is very similar, perhaps a bit faster on the Glo due to the faster processor. I do wish they'd get that "connected and charging" message off the display sooner on disconnect of the actual cable so you'd know a state change has occurred.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote