Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-26-2016, 09:14 PM   #16
mrbjr
mrbjr is kind to children and small, furry animalsmrbjr is kind to children and small, furry animalsmrbjr is kind to children and small, furry animalsmrbjr is kind to children and small, furry animalsmrbjr is kind to children and small, furry animalsmrbjr is kind to children and small, furry animalsmrbjr is kind to children and small, furry animalsmrbjr is kind to children and small, furry animalsmrbjr is kind to children and small, furry animalsmrbjr is kind to children and small, furry animalsmrbjr is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Every Kindle up to and including the Oasis
The oasis has all the previous fonts plus the new one called Amazon Ember..
I read with the cover on and the oasis configuration doesn't cause me any anxiety..
Updated to 5.7.4 after setup, so can't tell if it made any difference one way or another..
Screen seems a bit brighter on the same settings as my Voyage...
Overall with an hour and a half use pretty sure it's a keeper...
mrbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:45 PM   #17
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thanks, Marilyn, for the answer on the Ember font.

It's apparently not yet available on my Kindle Voyage (firmware 5.7.4).

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-26-2016 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Changed to 'Marilyn'
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:46 PM   #18
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
My Kindle Oasis Has Arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
1. Can you verify that the auto adjust function for the light is missing from the Oasis?
2. Please post photos of the front/back of the Merlot cover?
3. How does it feel when reading with the cover on?
4. If you fold the cover back while reading, will the magnet hold it onto the back of the device, like the current origami cover does on the Voyage?

Thanks

1. That is correct, there is no auto adjust function on the Oasis.

2. Here you go -

Front with reader in:

Back with reader in:

Front/back with no reader:

Inside w/reader in:

Inside w/o reader:

It's a beautiful deep and rich burgundy color. To me, it looks very classy.

3. Surprisingly, it feels good with the cover on to read it. I won't read it that way very often as it's obviously lighter without the cover. But most of the weight is still in the palm of your hand, even with the cover. So, again, it's comfortable.

4. Yes it does and very well I might add. Here's a picture of me holding it by the reader with the cover folded back. The cover is staying attached without me holding it.

Hope that helps.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:13 PM   #19
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Thanks for posting the pictures and confirming the merlot is a deep burgundy.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:32 PM   #20
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Thank you very much Marilyn, for the detailed answers. Do you feel a little naughty being the first Oasis recipient (at least on MR), as well as getting it a day early?
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:47 PM   #21
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
Thank you very much Marilyn, for the detailed answers. Do you feel a little naughty being the first Oasis recipient (at least on MR), as well as getting it a day early?

I do feel a bit like I've "beaten the system" TBH. But, since I did nothing different when buying it, I'm fine. Mostly.

I've not been this excited about a new reader since I got the Pocketbook 360 (which this reminds me of, a lot). So, I had to share. I am so happy this device - to me - is worth the price.

Oh, and since I've returned home, I've downloaded and manually upgraded the Oasis to the latest OS, which is 5.7.4. In addition to the fonts that I mentioned were on it under the old OS, I've now got the Futura and OpenDyslexic fonts available. So, now there are nine font choices, to include the newest, Amazon Ember. So, no fonts were removed. Coolio!

Marilyn
Old 04-27-2016, 03:44 AM   #22
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Thanks for the pictures - the cover does seem to be a nice red a bit of a shame IMHO that they had to slap a huuuuuuuuuge logo bang in the middle, kinda ruins the styling. Also I've just noticed there's another logo on the inside of the cover too - so when you hold the Oasis in your left hand, the logo will be upside down. I guess they really want people to read without the cover
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:17 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Thanks, Marilyn, for the answer on the Ember font.

It's apparently not yet available on my Kindle Voyage (firmware 5.7.4).
That's correct. On the PW and Voyage, "Ember" is only used as the font for the home screen. On the Oasis it's now also available as a reading font. I imagine the same will happen on other device in due course.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:57 AM   #24
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
It does come with the new Amazon Ember font. I like this font and I may just keep using it. Here it is:[/IMG]
I'm guessing that the unevenness in the screen in this shot is room lighting, not device lighting? Can you confirm?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:38 AM   #25
palazzo
Enthusiast
palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
My first impressions:
It’s so small! The parcel from Amazon seemed too tiny. You’ve really got to handle it to appreciate/love it.
The magnetic connection with the cover is very strong - no accidental partings, I think.
There’s separate battery-charge readings in the menu for the Oasis and the cover.
The page forward button is the top one (either way up you hold it) which is different from the Voyage, but falls easier under the thumb.
It’s equally comfortable left or right-handed in the cover, as it folds back flat.
It’s a boon having the cover so easily detachable - I had a cover on the Voyage which I loved but it was not easy to take it out, so it stayed in.
The screen seems identical to the Voyage. Maybe when it gets dark I might notice the lighting improvement.
Calibre recognised it, no trouble, and I had version 2.53.
The merlot is a gorgeous colour. Being a veggie I wasn't 100% happy about the leather cover but it only smells if you put your nose against it.
I don’t think I’ll be sending it back.

Last edited by palazzo; 04-27-2016 at 06:57 AM.
palazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:53 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by palazzo View Post
The page forward button is the top one (either way up you hold it) which is different from the Voyage, but falls easier under the thumb.
This can be changed in "Settings", I believe, should one prefer to have the same way around as the Voyage.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:17 AM   #27
Mickey330
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I'm guessing that the unevenness in the screen in this shot is room lighting, not device lighting? Can you confirm?

I'm pretty sure it's room lighting. I took that picture last nigh in my living room with one lamp on.

Here's a shot of just the screen. I took this in my living room with lots of Windows, a sunny day and light level 18 set:

I don't see any unevenness (and I did try hard to get window glare off before I snapped the pic).

That help?

Marilyn
Old 04-27-2016, 08:20 AM   #28
Mickey330
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This can be changed in "Settings", I believe, should one prefer to have the same way around as the Voyage.

That is true. I should think it'll be a case of how you'd like the Oasis to sit in your hand. For me, leaving them default means the book sits in the meat of my hand (by the palm) if I switch them, the Oasis is higher up and I have to support it with my pinky or angle my thumb differently. I like having the option, but I'll probably still stick with the default. YMMV.

Marilyn
Old 04-27-2016, 08:54 AM   #29
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Thank You Marilyn, for all the nice photos of your Oasis.!

I am curious how the screen would be outside, in the sunshine. If you notice any glare in direct sun light. Although it may be a bit too early, 8;45 am. on the east coast now though. Would the Oasis have the same etched glass screen as the Voyage ?
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:57 AM   #30
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Congrats on your new toy. Your display seems perfect to me ! Thanks for posting this and the pics. Enjoy your Oasis
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote