Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
jacus
jacus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX US
Turning off issue -- Kindle DX

A week ago I bought a used Kindle DX, the US version. It came with 2.3.2, which I then upgraded to 2.5.3 via WN (first 2.5.2, then 2.5.3).

Now, whenever I try to power it off by holding the power switch for little more than 4 seconds it seems to be going into a suspend-to-ram or some sort of standby with a partially blank screen (I can still, barely, read the last page). Another thing is that when powered up it doesn't go through the usual progress bar. Instead, it loads the home screen right away.

If I'm not mistaken, that wasn't the behavior with 2.3.2. This came up because of interference with my wireless keyboard. So, am I to take the device apart and remove the battery each time I want to power it down? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.
jacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
You dont need to hold the sleep/wale button for 4 seconds. Once click to the side and the Kindle will sleep or wake. I just did it on mine for the heck it it and sure enough, holdong the button over for a little over 4 seconds blanks the screen and there is a little of the text that you can barely see. I would not worry about it. Slide it over for a little bit and you will be good to go
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
jacus
jacus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX US
Thanks for the quick response Rcuadro. However, I'm not as much concerned with the screen issue as I am with the powering down issue. There are times when I need to be sure that all my electronic devices are completely powered down (planes/airports).
jacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What you see is something that I have seen since I got the Kindle 2 when it first came out. The screen maintains some extent of a ghost image.
When you hold the button for 4 seconds, and the screen goes blank, the kindle is off even if there are ghost images on the screen.
The only time that I have seen the progress bar has been when the Kindle has rebooted due to software update or the kindle resetting by either the Kindle crashing (happened once due to a crappy file i uploaded to it) or by holding the sleep/wake button for 15 seconds.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard

Oh... my DX is also the US version
Advert