Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 04-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #31
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Ooops. Never mind.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:26 AM   #32
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Could a setting be added to have the Read and Date Read columns only sync from Calibre to CC and not vice versa?

The reason I ask is that I have the "Update Date Read when read" box unchecked in CC. I like to have the date read as the date I finish I book which is not always the same as when I start it. I was adding some new books to CC from my main Calibre library and the rating, date read, and read info for the last two books I'd updated as read in Calibre synced over fine as well. Then I changed to one of my other libraries to add another few books to my Nexus. But when I disconnected the device and then switched back to my main library in Calibre I noticed the date read and read (yes) info for the two books had disappeared from Calibre (and checking from the Nexus as well).

I add books from two of my libraries to my other readers routinely without disconnecting/reconnecting my devices. But that's through USB. Am I not supposed to switch libraries when wirelessly connected to CC? If that's the case I can be sure not to, but I don't want the date read info wiped out by accident so would prefer an option to have the sync to go only one way if that's not a big issue.

Last edited by library addict; 04-15-2014 at 03:31 AM.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2014, 05:03 AM   #33
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
Could a setting be added to have the Read and Date Read columns only sync from Calibre to CC and not vice versa?
This is very close to simply using the underlying custom column without entering the lookup name into the sync boxes. The only things you give up are sorting by read and the "read" checkmark in list view. You can still group by read by entering that custom column lookup key into the list of columns to group by. You can also group by the read date which gets you a "kind of" sort.
Quote:
The reason I ask is that I have the "Update Date Read when read" box unchecked in CC. I like to have the date read as the date I finish I book which is not always the same as when I start it. I was adding some new books to CC from my main Calibre library and the rating, date read, and read info for the last two books I'd updated as read in Calibre synced over fine as well. Then I changed to one of my other libraries to add another few books to my Nexus. But when I disconnected the device and then switched back to my main library in Calibre I noticed the date read and read (yes) info for the two books had disappeared from Calibre (and checking from the Nexus as well).

I add books from two of my libraries to my other readers routinely without disconnecting/reconnecting my devices. But that's through USB. Am I not supposed to switch libraries when wirelessly connected to CC? If that's the case I can be sure not to, but I don't want the date read info wiped out by accident so would prefer an option to have the sync to go only one way if that's not a big issue.
Using multiple libraries that have the same books in them is likely to produce problems. This is true also for non-CC devices, but you don't notice it as much.

The problem: a book gets the metadata from the last library you connect to that contains that book. Calibre uses title/author matching to identify the books, then sends the metadata from that library to CC. For example, assume you have a book "Lotus" in CC, and two libraries A and B both with the same custom columns. You change the Read data for Lotus in library A, then connect CC while still using library A. Book matching happens and the metadata is sent to CC because the modified date has changed in calibre, including the Read data. Now, disconnect, change to library B and reconnect. This time the Read data in library B might be sent to CC, depending on the modified date of Lotus in B. What came from library A will be overwritten.

Changing libraries while connected works with one caveat/bug. When you change libraries with a device connected, calibre goes through the same book matching process that happened when you originally connected. Just as above, metadata from the new library will be sent to the device if the modified date indicates that it should, which may or may not be what you want. The caveat/bug: calibre's view of CC's read info will still be as it was when the original connect happened. Changes in CC's data because of syncing aren't reflected yet, with the result that calibre could think that CC's value has changed (this is what happened to you). This is a bug, and I will fix it. In the meantime you can avoid the bug by disconnecting before you change libraries.

As for adding the option, I will think about that. The option would require making the data read-only in CC to avoid confusion about what syncs, but that in itself would create confusion.

EDIT: the bug is also triggered if you use "Update cached metadata on device" (under the Devices button) to write metadata to the device that was changed while the device was connected.

EDIT2: the fix for the multiple-sync bug described above is now in calibre's master source and will included in the next calibre release.

Last edited by chaley; 04-16-2014 at 02:55 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:58 PM   #34
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry I wasn't clear. The Calibre libraries do NOT have the same books in them. But I do add books from the two separate libraries to the same device. And I will now disconnect before switching between them.

I appreciate the explanations. And the work-around you suggested will be fine for me for now (though I do miss the green checkmark in list view). Thanks.

Last edited by library addict; 04-15-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:55 AM   #35
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
Sorry I wasn't clear. The Calibre libraries do NOT have the same books in them. But I do add books from the two separate libraries to the same device. And I will now disconnect before switching between them.
Is there any chance that in your original sequence you switched back to the original library before disconnecting? If so then the bug I found would be triggered, restoring the Read info to what it was as of the first connect. If not, then I am confused because I don't see any way for the synced Read info to be changed for a book unless that book is matched with a in the library.
Quote:
I appreciate the explanations. And the work-around you suggested will be fine for me for now (though I do miss the green checkmark in list view). Thanks.
Good. Lets see if I have fixed the problem when calibre is released on Friday.
Advert
Old 04-16-2014, 03:46 AM   #36
library addict
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Is there any chance that in your original sequence you switched back to the original library before disconnecting? If so then the bug I found would be triggered, restoring the Read info to what it was as of the first connect. If not, then I am confused because I don't see any way for the synced Read info to be changed for a book unless that book is matched with a in the library..
That is a possibility. I didn't notice the info was gone until a while after I disconnected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Good. Lets see if I have fixed the problem when calibre is released on Friday.
Fingers crossed. And thanks again.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:08 AM   #37
kaufman
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A small UI request.

When looking at book details, it would be nice if a long press on the cover launched the book reader the same way it does when in the other view.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:02 PM   #38
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Wouldn't that take longer than a short press on the Read button?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:08 PM   #39
kaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Wouldn't that take longer than a short press on the Read button?
Not for me, for two reasons.

1) I use CC one handed most of the time, and I can reach the cover with my thumb, but I can't reach the "Read" button.

2) Because hitting the cover works in the book list view, my brain has been trained to hit the cover when I want to open a book. My method for opening a book from the detail screen is:

a) Tap on the cover
b) Curse
c) Tap on the read button while thinking about how old I am getting.

If tapping on the cover worked, I could skip steps B and C and possibly cut down on my medications.

Note I'm not suggested a removal of the "read" button, just for the cover to work the same way as it does on the other screen.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:48 PM   #40
kaufman

I've been playing around with custom grouping, and I thought os something that might be handy.

How about an option that says - If there are less then X items in a grouping, don't group by first letter, even if "Group by first letters" is turned on.

I use a custom grouping called "My shelves", to tag books I want to read soon. It only has 5 different entries in it. When I click on it in the grouping menu, I get 5 letters, each with one entry in it.

Perhaps if there were less then 10 or 15 entries, or maybe even a user defined number, the program could ignore the state of the "Group by" option.

If you turned this off by default, most people would never find it, and you wouldn't get support questions about it.

Another way to do this would be to have "Group by first letters" be a group level setting.

Last edited by kaufman; 04-30-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #41
SASSBS
Connoisseur
SASSBS doesn't litterSASSBS doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard; Kindle Fire
Hi I just got CC now that Amazon allow it on the Fire, and thankfully I now have a way to see collections (via a custom column) on the Kindle but I wondered if there was a way to add a sort option to the list at the top of the screen?

A number of my books have 01, 02 etc. as the first part of the title so the way it looks now all the books are jumbled up together I would like an option that allows me to search based on the custom column and then by any of the other options like title, date etc.

I looked on the forums but I couldn’t see anything, so apologies if I missed it.

Thanks
SASSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:20 PM   #42
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SASSBS View Post
... I wondered if there was a way to add a sort option to the list at the top of the screen?

A number of my books have 01, 02 etc. as the first part of the title so the way it looks now all the books are jumbled up together I would like an option that allows me to search based on the custom column and then by any of the other options like title, date etc.
There is already a Sort option (Title, Author, Series, various dates) you can use on whatever list of books are currently being displayed. Depending on your Settings it will either be an icon (AZ, double arrow) on the top line of your screen or it will be an option (called Sort) on your option menu (i.e. when you press the left android options button). If it's not in the location you prefer then visit Settings - Move Sort to Menu and check/uncheck as required.

P.S. As you've seen it's not a great idea to force the Series/index info into the calibre Title info. Series info should be in the calibre column provided, namely Series

Last edited by jackie_w; 05-11-2014 at 04:25 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #43
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
P.S. As you've seen it's not a great idea to force the Series/index info into the calibre Title info. Series info should be in the calibre column provided, namely Series
There are tools in calibre so you never have to contort your library by mixing columns (title and series) to get things to sort right on your device.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:56 AM   #44
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASSBS View Post
Hi I just got CC now that Amazon allow it on the Fire, and thankfully I now have a way to see collections (via a custom column) on the Kindle but I wondered if there was a way to add a sort option to the list at the top of the screen?

I looked on the forums but I couldn’t see anything, so apologies if I missed it.

Thanks
It might be possible to add sorting on a custom column as long as the column is shown in the grouping drawer and the column is single-value. The problem might be performance. I will add the request to the wish list. Compound sorting (sorting on multiple columns) isn't going to happen.

However, as the other posters have indicated, you might want to reconsider using the title for just the title. There are other ways to solve the series ordering problem on devices, for example by using plugboards and templates.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:30 AM   #45
a_daley
Enthusiast
a_daley began at the beginning.

Device: None
Editable rating

It would be nice to be able to change the rating immediately after I have read the book - saves me having to remember to update calibre when I get back to the desktop...
a_daley is offline   Reply With Quote