Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-31-2013, 05:32 AM   #1
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Web Browser - scrolling

When I use the Glo's Web browser to view a page which is too long to fit on the screen scroll bars appear at the RH side. This also happens with a frame within a page.

So far so good.

Admittedly I do have large fingers but there is no way I can make the scroll bars work.

Is there some other magic way to scroll rather than trying to drag what looks like a 5 pixel wide scroll bar ?

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Did you just grabbing anywhere on the screen at the bottom and pull it up without using the tiny scrollbar? Much like scrolling up on your cell phone. That's the only way I use the browser.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I have tried dragging the frame up and down but with no effect.

BobC
Old 07-31-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What firmware are you using? Although I would think that's such a basic function of a browser that it would work on any firmware version. Hopefully someone else will have an answer.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:31 AM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I'm using Glo with firmware 2.8.1. The up/down scrollbar is just too close to the edge of the screen to reach with fingers, only really usable with a stylus I think.

But just dragging the whole page works fine, so scrollbars are redundant anyway.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2013, 03:37 AM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Unless BobC misunderstood how I said to scroll the page up and down by grabbing it, it seems it doesn't work for him.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:39 AM   #7
BobC
Guru

No I hadn't misunderstood, reassured by the answers I had I investigated further. Dragging will scroll a page but not a frame within a frameset and the sites I was interested in are arranged as framesets with navigation in a L.H. bar and the main content on the R.H. side. Both have scrollbars and it is impossible to scroll them. The overall page does not need to scroll therefor dragging doesn't work.

Thanks everyone for the comments which helped me focus on the real issue.

I'm obviously expecting too much from a tiny browser !

BobC
Old 08-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
No I hadn't misunderstood, reassured by the answers I had I investigated further. Dragging will scroll a page but not a frame within a frameset and the sites I was interested in are arranged as framesets with navigation in a L.H. bar and the main content on the R.H. side. Both have scrollbars and it is impossible to scroll them. The overall page does not need to scroll therefor dragging doesn't work.

Thanks everyone for the comments which helped me focus on the real issue.

I'm obviously expecting too much from a tiny browser !

BobC
Yeah; embedded frames do not work well in many "mobile" browsers. I don't think it was even until iOS 5 that iPhones/iPods properly handled scrollable frames/divs embedded within a page (and even then, you needed to do a two-finger scroll if I remember right).

Is there any way to access the page without the frames? Perhaps find the url for the main part of the page?
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
BobC
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
Yeah; embedded frames do not work well in many "mobile" browsers. .....

Is there any way to access the page without the frames? Perhaps find the url for the main part of the page?
Now I know what is going on and the limitations I'm happy - the site I used to test it was just one of my own websites so not actually one I want to access in reality from the Glo when I have a 9.7" Android tablet that will cope with the SVG pages etc on the site.

I was originally hacked off because I wanted to connect to a public Wi-Fi to synch the Glo and it brought up the browser to authenticate, but I could never get that to work. When I did some further checks and found I couldn't scroll the frames on my own pages I formed a negative opinion of the browser. The concept of the Glo needing the browser to connect to a public Wi-Fi and the browser being "unsupported" by Kobo I wasn't surprised that other things might be broken.

BobC