Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-28-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
maxk
Enthusiast
maxk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
PRS-50x, USB and file errors

I've already frozen/bricked my reader a couple of times, and I notice that it regularly has file integrity problems (reported by libprs500 when reading the book database for example).

Does the Reader have a way of preventing file writes from caching to try and prevent errors when you unplug the USB cable? Is it an outdated USB concept that you should "stop" it from the USB manager?

Otherwise no one seems to be recommending that you "stop" the device before unplugging it and most times when I try to "stop" it, Windows complains that the device is being used and I can't find any tasks that are likely to be using it either. Could the driver provided by Sony be doing something in the background? I've tried killing almost every task running on my PC including anti virus.

Is there a surefire way of nicely disconnecting it that should avoid file damage?

Edit: Oh, and secondly, is it a valid backup method to copy the contents of the internal memory to a folder on your PC, then if there are errors in the book DB to copy files back from the PC? I'll try it anyway.

Last edited by maxk; 11-28-2007 at 09:36 PM.
maxk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:38 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
All of the original files that were loaded on the Reader when you first got it are also on the install disk for the Sony software.

The 505 looks to the Windows system as a mass storage device without any USB driver loaded. The 500 requires the Sony USB driver or the Windows system just ignores the Reader if plugged in.

linprs500's USB driver for the 500 and the Sony USB driver do not coexist well on the same system. To make things work well I have the Sony on one machine and libprs500 on another.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2007, 11:02 PM   #3
maxk
Enthusiast
maxk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Mine is actually a 505... I treat it purely as a mass storage device (eg. thumb drive or other memory card). Whenever there was an option I chose not to install drivers, but I expect Connect probably installed some unusual system software apart from the library interface.
maxk is offline   Reply With Quote