Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
Romasport
Romasport began at the beginning.

Device: None
Almost convinced to buy a Kindle 2 - Need last opinion!

Hello everyone!

I'm brazilian and in a few days I will travel to US on vacations. Since I am an avid reader, my first purchase when arrive there, will be a Kindle 2! I have read a lot about it (thanks so much to you all guys), already converted some of my pdfs, prepared my MOBI ebooks, got everything about the fonts hacks and so on...

My last two questions are:

1) Since there are a lot of devices in the market and many of you have owned the kindle 2 for a long time, could you please tell me, considering the circunstances and your practical usage, if it is still the best purchase for the money (U$260,00)?

2) If not, why (other recommendations)?

Thanks a lot!
Romasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:35 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I feel that, right now, the Kindle is the best bang for MY money. I think the book selection is better than other places and the prices tend to be cheaper.
I would not trade it for any of the other readers currently out there
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
As I see it, with the Kindle you are buying not only an eBook reader, you are also buying a relationship with the Amazon company.

After giving it some thought, I decided that I don't want to buy a relationship with anybody. I just want to buy some books.

So I have been looking elsewhere for an eBook reader.

From reading the many threads and testimonials here for the past three months, I have concluded that if price is important, the best choice is the jetBook or the jetBook Lite. But if performance (such as the firmware) is most important, it looks like the Pocketbook is the best choice.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
All I can tell you is that if I want a book (I'm in the U.S.), if it is in ebook form 99.7% of the time I can get it at Amazon. No muss, no fuss and for a great price.

While GA Russell is right about the relationship with Amazon, I personally have no problems with it. They've done right by me more often than not.

I'm looking to buy my next reader from another company but I will always have a Kindle (I have 2 now!).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
As I see it, with the Kindle you are buying not only an eBook reader, you are also buying a relationship with the Amazon company.

After giving it some thought, I decided that I don't want to buy a relationship with anybody. I just want to buy some books.

So I have been looking elsewhere for an eBook reader.

From reading the many threads and testimonials here for the past three months, I have concluded that if price is important, the best choice is the jetBook or the jetBook Lite. But if performance (such as the firmware) is most important, it looks like the Pocketbook is the best choice.
But don't you want a relationship with whomever you buy the device from, should you need assistance?

I would put customer service above price of books.

Luckily, Amazon excels on both accounts.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Having used and owned several e-readers starting with a PDA, then the first Sony, followed by the Illiad before moving to Hanlin clone, BeBook and now the Kindle international, the Kindle 'simply works'. There is no fussing, books are easy to purchase and there is a good range. Yes geographical restrictions are a pain, but that is true of whatever reader you are using. I have a US address which enables me to switch between the Australian and US sites easily. I have had no issues with books not opening or with issues turning pages.
The Kindle is the cheapest e-reader currnetly available in Australia, the e-books are very reasonably priced and far cheaper than print books here.
I have the large Irex device as well for reading PDFs for work and uni, but given how well the Kindle works, I am seriously considering purchaser the Kindle DX if it becomes available international.
Havign said that, the Nook also looks to be an interesting competitor to the Kindle when it is released, although the competition will of course only be for the US market.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:39 PM   #7
The Hooded Claw
Connoisseur
The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Android phone with Kindle app, Kindle 4 in reserve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romasport View Post
1) Since there are a lot of devices in the market and many of you have owned the kindle 2 for a long time, could you please tell me, considering the circunstances and your practical usage, if it is still the best purchase for the money (U$260,00)?

2) If not, why (other recommendations)?
My understanding is that the new Kindle 2 is available directly in other countries....If you purchase one in the US, and try to download books from Amazon in Brazil, you will at the least have to pay a $1.99 extra fee if you use the wireless service. It should be possible to download Kindle books to your computer and then transfer them to your Kindle by USB without the extra fee. I believe you'll also need to have a US address and US-based credit card to pay for the downloaded books (it may be possible to work around this with Amazon gift certificates, but I don't have direct experience).

If you purchase your Kindle 2 in Brazil for the Brazilian market, you won't have the above problems. I'm assuming you've investigated wireless availability for the Kindle in Brazil, but if you haven't, the page below will interest you:

http://ireaderreview.com/2009/10/07/...-coverage-map/

I haven't used the Kindle 2 in Brazil or anywhere else overseas, so I may be mistaken about the above, but I don't think I am. It is worth investigating before you spend your money!
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:

You end up with a relationship with whom ever you purchase a product from... like it or not. As for books, you are not locked into Amazon... You are locked with Amazon if you want to use Wispernet but that is about it.
Not to mention that the costumer service I have received from Amazon has been incredible. They had to replace my Kindle and they sent me the replacement kindle overnight...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:17 PM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
You end up with a relationship with whom ever you purchase a product from... like it or not.
Not at all. Here in the US there are Consumer Protection laws, but I think it is unreasonable to infer that the implied warranty sold with every purchase for anything constitutes a relationship similar to the special relationship with Amazon a Kindle customer pays for.

What special relationship? you may ask. For example...

1) Amazon has the ability to delete books from your Kindle. Ectaco and PocketBook do not with their products.

2) Amazon stores your books, notes and bookmarks on their computers. Ectaco and PocketBook do not.

3) Amazon sells books with a DRM that can only be read on a Kindle. Ectaco and PocketBook are not so linked with a bookseller.

4) Amazon promises to provide the Whispernet service to Kindle customers at no charge in perpetuity. Ectaco and PocketBook provide no such service, and promise nothing in perpetuity.

That is what I refer to when I mention the Kindle customer's relationship with the Amazon company.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:38 PM   #10
geneaber
Connoisseur
geneaber doesn't littergeneaber doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
I just received by Kindle 2 yesterday and absolutely love it. It is quite possibly the best gadget I have ever purchased. In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with it. I was hung up between a Kindle or the nook and ultimately the Amazon pricing structure won out. I am glad I made the decision I did.
geneaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:45 PM   #11
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I have had a kindle for about a year, and I don't know how I lived without it. I used to buy my pbooks at Amazon, so I don't mind depending on them for my ebooks. Enjoy!!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:22 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

1) Amazon has the ability to delete books from your Kindle. Ectaco and PocketBook do not with their products.
Yes, this did happen but Jeff Bezos publicly apologized for Amazon's error in judgment and compensated all who were effected. The press was so bad over this that Amazon would be stupid to do it again. IMO (the only one I can give), this argument is no longer valid.

Quote:
2) Amazon stores your books, notes and bookmarks on their computers. Ectaco and PocketBook do not.
Some would consider this a plus. And since only the person who owns the account can access them, I'm not sure why you think this is a problem. I'd be more concerned about message board posts and cell phone text messages.

Quote:
3) Amazon sells books with a DRM that can only be read on a Kindle. Ectaco and PocketBook are not so linked with a bookseller.
If you have a Kindle that's not a problem. If you have a Kindle and another device, there are ways to circumvent the DRM if you choose and are comfortable.

Quote:
4) Amazon promises to provide the Whispernet service to Kindle customers at no charge in perpetuity. Ectaco and PocketBook provide no such service, and promise nothing in perpetuity.
This is bad how? The "no charge" in perpetuity relates to book downloads and Wikipedia. Other Whispnet usage may incur charges.

[/QUOTE]

It's really in the way you look at things. From your point of view the Kindle doesn't work. There are so many choices and more to come, so nearly everyone can find something that works for them. The Kindle works for me.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:45 PM   #13
Romasport
Romasport began at the beginning.

Device: None
I tought it doesn't matter where you bought it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
My understanding is that the new Kindle 2 is available directly in other countries....If you purchase one in the US, and try to download books from Amazon in Brazil, you will at the least have to pay a $1.99 extra fee if you use the wireless service. It should be possible to download Kindle books to your computer and then transfer them to your Kindle by USB without the extra fee. I believe you'll also need to have a US address and US-based credit card to pay for the downloaded books (it may be possible to work around this with Amazon gift certificates, but I don't have direct experience).

If you purchase your Kindle 2 in Brazil for the Brazilian market, you won't have the above problems. I'm assuming you've investigated wireless availability for the Kindle in Brazil, but if you haven't, the page below will interest you:

http://ireaderreview.com/2009/10/07/...-coverage-map/

I haven't used the Kindle 2 in Brazil or anywhere else overseas, so I may be mistaken about the above, but I don't think I am. It is worth investigating before you spend your money!
The only reason I've waited to buy the kindle 2 in US is to avoid the taxes and shipping fee that could double the price of the e-reader!

I tought I could "configure" it to use in Brazil, so there were not extra fees! Anyone could give me an advice regarding this matter? How do I set up kindle 2 so it recognizes my country as Brazil besides I've bought it in US?

Thank you for any help!
Romasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:56 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romasport View Post
The only reason I've waited to buy the kindle 2 in US is to avoid the taxes and shipping fee that could double the price of the e-reader!

I tought I could "configure" it to use in Brazil, so there were not extra fees! Anyone could give me an advice regarding this matter? How do I set up kindle 2 so it recognizes my country as Brazil besides I've bought it in US?

Thank you for any help!
You just need to configure your Amazon account for Brazil. The Kindle 2 International you buy while in the U.S. will be the same hardware you would get if you ordered it from Brazil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	your country.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	39139  

Last edited by daffy4u; 11-13-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:55 PM   #15
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Yes, this did happen but Jeff Bezos publicly apologized for Amazon's error in judgment and compensated all who were effected. The press was so bad over this that Amazon would be stupid to do it again. IMO (the only one I can give), this argument is no longer valid.

Some would consider this a plus. And since only the person who owns the account can access them, I'm not sure why you think this is a problem. I'd be more concerned about message board posts and cell phone text messages.

If you have a Kindle that's not a problem. If you have a Kindle and another device, there are ways to circumvent the DRM if you choose and are comfortable.

This is bad how? The "no charge" in perpetuity relates to book downloads and Wikipedia. Other Whispnet usage may incur charges.
It's really in the way you look at things. From your point of view the Kindle doesn't work. There are so many choices and more to come, so nearly everyone can find something that works for them. The Kindle works for me. [/QUOTE]

daffy, my post was in response to a post that dismissed my contention that the Kindle customer is buying a special relationship with the Amazon company. Anybody who wants that relationship, be my guest. I have no preference as to how others choose to live their lives regarding such trivial matters. I initially brought the subject up to ensure that the Brazilian OP understood what Amazon is selling, and that not everyone in the eBook reader business is offering that.

I do disagree with your first point that Amazon's ability to remove eBooks from your library is no longer valid. I will agree that the chances that Amazon will make the same mistake twice are very small. But I believe that it is very likely that one day for some reason a court may order Amazon to remove a book, and that Amazon will be required to obey the court order regardless of its attempts to retain customer goodwill. Ectaco and PocketBook do not have that ability, regardless of what any court might order.