Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #151
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I just saw a second book today with this problem. For the one in the screen shot it's built from Calibre news feed. The one I found today was a library book so it's two totally different sources.

Here's why I use left justify - the huge spaces between words on most lines is just too difficult to read.
Ick! I don't know how you can read that theme. The colors would give me a migraine. lol I have no had this problem with missing letter though. Are your margins set equally?

My themes probably would make people go yuk too though. :
I have to have everything justify too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-12-08 22.15.02.png
Views:	604
Size:	333.2 KB
ID:	116415  
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #152
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
I don't get any "huge spaces" between words myself, Purple Lady. Looks like you disabled hyphenation? Try switching it on -- hyphenation works pretty nicely (though by no means flawlessly) in Moon+ Pro.

The spacing between words might especially become an issue on a tiny mobile-phone screen, or if someone uses huge fonts... but for me on the 2013 Nexus 7 screen, that is no problem. As shown in the Moon+ screenshots I posted to another thread, books in Moon+ Pro look really fabulous in immersive mode on the 2013 Nexus 7.

As to the troublesome books you mention... the first really isn't a book, as you say. Converting a newsfeed to EPUB is likely to result in trouble of some sort or another, I'm afraid. Calibre is superb software, but its conversion capabilities still leave a lot to be desired in some workflows. Calibre is particularly awful for converting PDF to EPUB -- the result is practically unreadable. Of course, it doesn't make sense to be converting PDF to EPUB, anyway... But, in those rare instances you just need to do it, I have found it's better to launch my ancient, defunct Mobipocket Reader on my Windows PC, and perform the PDF to EPUB conversion there -- the result is still awful, but incomparably better than the same conversion when performed in Calibre.

Last edited by Faterson; 12-08-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #153
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post

Not really... your day theme is pretty similar to mine, Blossom. (But I believe mine is nicer, due to featuring a textured background.) And, I can't stand those 3 Android buttons being displayed permanently, so I'm ecstatic about the new immersive mode in KitKat.

Each of us different. None of us is dumber or smarter just because he or she prefers a particular lay-out.

One thing is certain: quality e-reader software is such that allows each and every one of us to customise the display of our books just the way we like to see them. That is why I believe Kindle (and iBooks) is awful e-reader software, and Moon+ Reader Pro (and Marvin) is outstanding e-reader software.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #154
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Not really... your day theme is pretty similar to mine, Blossom. (But I believe mine is nicer, due to featuring a textured background.) And, I can't stand those 3 Android buttons being displayed permanently, so I'm ecstatic about the new immersive mode in KitKat.

Each of us different. None of us is dumber or smarter just because he or she prefers a particular lay-out.

One thing is certain: quality e-reader software is such that allows each and every one of us to customise the display of our books just the way we like to see our books. That is why I believe Kindle (and iBooks) is awful e-reader software, and Moon+ Reader Pro (and Marvin) is outstanding e-reader software.
I use full screen on my Kindle Fire HD2 but the N7 has too high of resolution for it.

The one attached is my Kindle Fire. Both use the exact same settings and theme. As you can see the Kindle Fire uses Full screen well. I prefer the reading with the KFHD2 over the N7.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013-12-08 17.47.14.png
Views:	464
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	116417  
Old 12-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #155
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Ick! I don't know how you can read that theme. The colors would give me a migraine. lol I have no had this problem with missing letter though. Are your margins set equally?

I have to have everything justify too.
What's wrong with purple?!?! I mean I am the purple lady. The links are automatically set to blue and everything else is purple. I made it a reddish purple for reading at night.

My margins are set equally small - 10 on each side. It's only for lines that begin with a link that's a problem. Here's the toc of my current book:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1386543259919.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	116418  
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #156
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

That most recent screenshot of yours, Blossom, would be intolerable for me, due to the extreme waste of screen real estate -- huge empty margins on all 4 sides. That is one of the worst flaws of Kindle software to me (and iBooks, too): the inability to reduce margins on all 4 sides to a minimum.

To each their own, of course. You seem happy with the margins just as they are in your Kindle software. Good for you.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #157
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Smile

Quote:
What's wrong with purple?!?! I mean I am the purple lady.
Right you are. Nothing wrong with that, as long as it suits you. I can imagine purple-on-black can be pretty effective for night mode. One of my night modes in Moon+ Pro is, in fact, pretty similar to yours -- except that it's blue-on-black, not purple-on-black. Check out the first screenshot below. I can assure fellow MobileRead users that though the screenshot may look terrible and next to unreadable when posted here in the forum (meaning, surrounded by the blinding white of the forum webpage), the setup actually works quite nicely when implemented as night mode, in an otherwise completely dark room. The only light in the room, then, is the light emitted by the blue letters inside the book -- that's nice!

Quote:
It's only for lines that begin with a link that's a problem. Here's the toc of my current book:
Like I said, in a book I checked, a retail EPUB (likely well-formatted), there was no such problem with the links in the ToC.

In another book I've just checked now, I can see the same issue as Purple Lady in her ToC (see the second screenshot below, which shows my day mode). That's a Project Gutenberg free EPUB, so it's likely badly formatted. Nevertheless, this shouldn't be happening even with badly formatted EPUBs, so I'll be sending these screenshots to Shawny of Moon+ Reader so that he can take a look at the bug. By the way, a typical book doesn't really contain lots of hyperlinked ToC (or similar formatting) inside the book text, so the bug should be pretty rare and almost irrelevant for the actual reading experience. That doesn't make it excusable or tolerable in the long run, of course.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013-12-08 22.58.26.png
Views:	409
Size:	940.5 KB
ID:	116419   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-12-08 22.57.46-1.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	116420  

Last edited by Faterson; 12-08-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #158
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't get any "huge spaces" between words myself, Purple Lady. Looks like you disabled hyphenation? Try switching it on -- hyphenation works pretty nicely (though by no means flawlessly) in Moon+ Pro.

The spacing between words might especially become an issue on a tiny mobile-phone screen, or if someone uses huge fonts... but for me on the 2013 Nexus 7 screen, that is no problem. As shown in the Moon+ screenshots I posted to another thread, books in Moon+ Pro look really fabulous in immersive mode on the 2013 Nexus 7.

As to the troublesome books you mention... the first really isn't a book, as you say. Converting a newsfeed to EPUB is likely to result in trouble of some sort or another, I'm afraid. Calibre is superb software, but its conversion capabilities still leave a lot to be desired in some workflows. Calibre is particularly awful for converting PDF to EPUB -- the result is practically unreadable. Of course, it doesn't make sense to be converting PDF to EPUB, anyway... But, in those rare instances you just need to do it, I have found it's better to launch my ancient, defunct Mobipocket Reader on my Windows PC, and perform the PDF to EPUB conversion there -- the result is still awful, but incomparably better than the same conversion when performed in Calibre.
Here's what it looks like with hyphens on. Still large spaces on some lines and 5 out of 12 lines that reach the end are hyphenated - too much for me. I have the font size set to 24 and the system is set to large which makes the fonts in Moon bigger. With the system size set to normal, I need it set to 28. To me that's not a huge font.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1386544079940.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	116421  
Old 12-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #159
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
That most recent screenshot of yours, Blossom, would be intolerable for me, due to the extreme waste of screen real estate -- huge empty margins on all 4 sides. That is one of the worst flaws of Kindle software to me (and iBooks, too): the inability to reduce margins on all 4 sides to a minimum.

To each their own, of course. You seem happy with the margins just as they are in your Kindle software. Good for you.
That screenshot is Moon+ not the Kindle Reader. The problem with the Kindle Reader on the new Kindle Fire is line spacing bug in a AZW3 book so I use Moon+ instead. The first page of a chapter always has a big margin on the bottom. I have top and bottom set at the default setting on Moon+.

Font Size: 21.5
Margins L/R: 90
Margins T/B: 100
Paragraph Spacing: 20%
Line spacing: 1
Old 12-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #160
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Lightbulb

Quote:
To me that's not a huge font.
To me, it would be. You seem to have only about 6-7 words per typical line of text, whereas I have around 9-10 of them (2013 Nexus 7). That indicates either that your screen is smaller than usual on tablets, or that your font is larger than usual on tablets. And that's OK, but you then need to accept some of the consequences this brings in the display of e-books.

I heard a recommendation that for text to be nicely readable, lines of text should contain approximately 60 characters -- not more, and not much less. I think my preferred themes in Moon+ Pro contain between 40-50 characters per line of text, so I'm pretty close to that recommended ideal. In your screenshots, you have -- a rough guess -- only about 30 characters or so per line of text, which again indicates a rather non-standard setup for a tablet screen. (One would be more likely to expect to see such short lines of text on a small mobile-phone screen.)

Quote:
I have top and bottom set at the default setting on Moon+.

Font Size: 21.5
Margins L/R: 90
Margins T/B: 100
Paragraph Spacing: 20%
Line spacing: 1
Well, that's the first thing I change after installing Moon+ Reader: getting rid of those huge margins. I have a margin of 20 on all four sides -- could reduce it even further, but 20 is OK for me. There's nothing wrong with wide margins for users like Blossom who enjoy to see such margins. I hate them, so the first prerequisite for quality e-reader software, as I see it, is to allow me to get rid of those margins. In Moon+ Reader, it's a breeze. In Kindle and iBooks, getting rid of those margins conclusively, is impossible, which is (partly) why they are unusable e-readers for me.

By the way, "font size" doesn't really mean anything -- it's perfectly relative. A font size of 25 in font A may actually be smalller than a font size of 20 in font B. It's nice that Moon+ allows us to experiment freely, as if each of us were a professional typesetter, and allows us to save an unlimited amount of themes, employing various fonts and specific font sizes ideal for this or that particular font.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #161
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
What's wrong with purple?!?! I mean I am the purple lady. The links are automatically set to blue and everything else is purple. I made it a reddish purple for reading at night.

My margins are set equally small - 10 on each side. It's only for lines that begin with a link that's a problem. Here's the toc of my current book:

It would hurt my eyes to read with a text that is pink or purple. I have to use either black or brown text. I read at night on the same theme I read on in the day time.

Maybe try setting your margins at 15 or 20 and see if the problem goes away.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #162
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
I read at night on the same theme I read on in the day time.

See, this is unimaginable to me. Reading at night with a predominantly light-coloured screen background -- plain impossible. It's one of the main reasons why I got rid of my e-ink Kindle devices.

As always, to each their own.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #163
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Well, that's the first thing I change after installing Moon+ Reader: getting rid of those huge margins. I have a margin of 20 on all four sides -- could reduce it even further, but 20 is OK for me. There's nothing wrong with wide margins for users like Blossom who enjoy to see such margins. I hate them, so the first prerequisite for quality e-reader software, as I see it, is to allow me to get rid of those margins. In Moon+ Reader, it's a breeze. In Kindle and iBooks, getting rid of those margins conclusively, is impossible, which is (partly) why they are unusable e-readers for me.

By the way, "font size" doesn't really mean anything -- it's perfectly relative. A font size of 25 in font A may actually be smalller than a font size of 20 in font B. It's nice that Moon+ allows us to experiment freely, as if each of us were a professional typesetter, and allows us to save an unlimited amount of themes, employing various fonts and specific font sizes ideal for this or that particular font.
What I do with my fonts is actually edit them to fit perfectly for me. The font in the screenshots are Trebuchet with the weight set at 25/20. I have whole sets of each fonts each at a different weight of 5% up to 40/35. I fine Mantano renders font a bit thicker than they actually are while Moon+ renders them thinner then they actually are. Mantano has a problem with fonts size jumps which is actually worse than Kindle Sizes. So I had to make sets that are scaled down 5% smaller to look normal. I also have some sets enlarge by 10% to fit on eInk or phablets.

One thing about Moon+ is the RGB value you can use to set the color of the solid background but editing it a bit tough as the color wheel is way too small to set anything. so I came across this site and have downloaded many of their greys and cremes to use in Moon+

Solid Color Background Textures.

Last edited by Blossom; 12-08-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #164
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
See, this is unimaginable to me. Reading at night with a predominantly light-coloured screen background -- plain impossible. It's one of the main reasons why I got rid of my e-ink Kindle devices.

As always, to each their own.
It's not impossible you just change the brightness lower to right settings. I use Screen Dim but Moon+ has the settings where it can go almost non visual so it's not need for the app.

I can't read on black screens at all. I am migraine sufferer and they trigger migraines.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #165
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Like I said, in a book I checked, a retail EPUB (likely well-formatted), there was no such problem with the links in the ToC.

In another book I've just checked now, I can see the same issue as Purple Lady in her ToC (see the second screenshot below, which shows my day mode). That's a Project Gutenberg free EPUB, so it's likely badly formatted. Nevertheless, this shouldn't be happening even with badly formatted EPUBs, so I'll be sending these screenshots to Shawny of Moon+ Reader so that he can take a look at the bug. By the way, a typical book doesn't really contain lots of hyperlinked ToC (or similar formatting) inside the book text, so the bug should be pretty rare and almost irrelevant for the actual reading experience. That doesn't make it excusable or tolerable in the long run, of course.
My book with the toc problem is a library book published by Harper Collins so it should be formatted ok. I just installed the free version of Moon+ and left all the defaults and it still has the problem. The only thing I did was use the default night mode which is difficult to read, but I always have everything in night mode.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1386546621805.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	116422