Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-14-2008, 05:28 AM   #1
Icarusbop
Groupie
Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.

Device: PRS505
Fictionwise and Brandon Sanderson

Hello:

I just got an email alert from Fictionwise containing the following text...
'The Hero of Ages [Mistborn Book 3] by Brandon Sanderson'

I have investigated - it is available for preorder, a quick search of their site indicates that I can get the first mistborn book (already bought from there) and soon will be able to get the third mistborn book.

No mention of the second book - which is the one I'm after, can anyone explain why the 1st and 3rd are on Fictionwise but not the 2nd?
Icarusbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:51 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There are some things that mankind is not meant to know. This is one of them!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:54 AM   #3
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I've made that question a few weeks ago to the author himself, and this was his reply:

Quote:
Angelo,

I don't know that I ever replied to this email of yours! I'm terribly sorry. I actually forwarded your email to my agent when I got it--and it was helpful in getting us to push Tor to put out more ebooks.

They aren't out quite yet, but book two is coming soon. We have to wait for Amazon to put it out for the Kindle first, since Tor promised them first crack at it. After that, it should show up in the other formats as well. We're hoping to have them all out by the end of the year.

Thank you so much for reading. I'm sorry to make you wait on the ebooks of the other two novels.

Best, Brandon
(Emphasis mine)
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:38 AM   #4
Icarusbop
Groupie
Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
We have to wait for Amazon to put it out for the Kindle first, since Tor promised them first crack at it.
Bloody politics...

It's good to know they are working on it though - I'll wait. Thanks for the news.

On another note: it seems that Brandon Sanderson is happy to release his work in eBook format. He is also going to be writing the last of the 'Wheel of Time' series for the late Robert Jordan, who didn't like his work being published in ebook format.

I wonder if the last book (WOT) will be available in ebook (legally) or whether Brandon Sanderson will respect Rpobert Jordans opinions on the matter??
Icarusbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:50 AM   #5
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I'm hoping for a legit ebook for it, I'd love the rest of the series that way too as the books take up way too much space
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:06 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So Tor is in bed with Amazon. That makes Tor useless in my opinion. They give everyone free book 1 of different series and if you do not own a Kindle, you are well and truly screwed. Way to go Tor. Here we thought we were waiting on you to finsih the deal with BAEN but you go with Amazon to make most f us wait. Well you can can be the ones to wait. Wait for sales that won't come.

I say we boycott Tor and Amazon.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-14-2008 at 09:22 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:09 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I've made that question a few weeks ago to the author himself, and this was his reply:

(Emphasis mine)
Do you have Brandon's email address? I think if we write in saying we won't purchase as long as Tor is giving Amazon first shot then I think that will get him going. Hit where it hurts.. Right in the pocketbook. I don't mind who sells what. But exclusive rights are a bad thing no matter who has those rights.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:59 AM   #8
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarusbop View Post
On another note: it seems that Brandon Sanderson is happy to release his work in eBook format. He is also going to be writing the last of the 'Wheel of Time' series for the late Robert Jordan, who didn't like his work being published in ebook format.

I wonder if the last book (WOT) will be available in ebook (legally) or whether Brandon Sanderson will respect Rpobert Jordans opinions on the matter??
Sanderson is a hired gun, completing someone else's work. It isn't his call. I'm not sure his effort is a "work-for-hire" contract, but it's probably close enough.

Whether WoT ever sees ebook format will be a decision of Tor and Jordan's wife (who was also his editor, and presumably now controls the rights), who selected Sanderson to complete the last book.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 10-14-2008 at 10:01 AM.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:03 AM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Thanks for the update on the sequels.

I really enjoyed Mistborn, and according to my TBR list, I won't run out of things to read. So I think I'll wait for #2 to come out in e-format before getting #3.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:48 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Thanks for the update on the sequels.

I really enjoyed Mistborn, and according to my TBR list, I won't run out of things to read. So I think I'll wait for #2 to come out in e-format before getting #3.
But you see, #2 is available in eBook format. But, because you don't own a Kindle and Amazon is in bed with Tor, you get screwed. This exclusivity is causing you to not be able to read a book that you want to read. Tor gave free eBooks to us. They gave us a lot of the first book in a series. Now, if you've read some of these books and want the rest as an eBook, you can't get it. Not unless you have a Kindle. Is this fair of Tor to their customers? Heck no! It's not fair to you who does want #2. So while Fictionwise does have #3, it will do you no good until they get #2 and they won't for at least six months.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:24 PM   #11
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But you see, #2 is available in eBook format. But, because you don't own a Kindle and Amazon is in bed with Tor, you get screwed. This exclusivity is causing you to not be able to read a book that you want to read. Tor gave free eBooks to us. They gave us a lot of the first book in a series. Now, if you've read some of these books and want the rest as an eBook, you can't get it. Not unless you have a Kindle. Is this fair of Tor to their customers? Heck no! It's not fair to you who does want #2. So while Fictionwise does have #3, it will do you no good until they get #2 and they won't for at least six months.
It is available as mobi. It's just much more expensive. 14.00$ for the second book and 27.95$ for the third, vs 9.99$ for each of them at Amazon.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:01 PM   #12
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
It is available as mobi. It's just much more expensive. 14.00$ for the second book and 27.95$ for the third, vs 9.99$ for each of them at Amazon.
The second book is available at Books on Board as well (for the same $14 price). The Fictionwise price on the third is about $12 today (if you're a club member and counting the 50% micropay rebate).

So while this is a case of Amazon undercutting on price (which isn't rare), it isn't one of the situations where the book is exclusively available there.

Last edited by bwaldron; 10-16-2008 at 04:04 PM.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
The second book is available at Books on Board as well (for the same $14 price). The Fictionwise price on the third is about $12 today (if you're a club member and counting the 50% micropay rebate).

So while this is a case of Amazon undercutting on price (which isn't rare), it isn't one of the situations where the book is exclusively available there.
One of the messages posted towards the top of the thread said Tor was in bed with Amazon. Is this not true?

Anyway, This is another case of the pBook is out in paperback for $7.99 list and they eBook is overpriced once again based on the current pBook price. I am sick and tired of this.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:26 AM   #14
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One of the messages posted towards the top of the thread said Tor was in bed with Amazon. Is this not true?
Define "in bed with".

Amazon is the 800lb gorilla of book retailing. If Amazon contacts a publisher and says "We want to do an ebook version for the Kindle", it can be a bit hard for the publisher to say no. And Amazon has been very aggressive about adding content, so you'll see stuff available from Amazon that isn't available elsewhere.

Is the fact that Sanderson's second Mistborn book turned up in Amazon first evidence that they are "in bed with Amazon"? I don't think so. If it were only available on Amazon, you might make a case, but you can get it elsewhere.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:31 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Well... BooksOnBoard now has book #2 The Well of Ascension at $7.99 where Amazon has it for $9.99. It's because I emailed BoB about it and they've sorted it.

Right now it is on Mobipocket only and I am in the process sof purchasing it.