Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-17-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
MyNameIsMrBurns
MyNameIsMrBurns began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Reader
Despite forwarding ports etc, I can only access my Calibre server from my LAN.

I'm behind a NAT router. I'm running Calibre on port 5613, and I've made sure to forward port 5613 to my LAN IP, both incoming and outgoing. I've added a rule in the Windows 7 firewall to allow Calibre's traffic on both public and private networks, and I don't run any antivirus software.

When I go to http://127.0.0.1:5613, I can access the content server just fine. But when I use my external IP, and get a site like Bind2 or DownForEveryone to check if it's accessible, I get an 'unable to connect' error.

Am I missing something obvious?
MyNameIsMrBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsMrBurns View Post
When I go to http://127.0.0.1:5613, I can access the content server just fine.
As you probably know, that's your loopback address. Do you have another computer on the LAN you can use to check if the CS is responding locally? IOW, see if 192.168.0.102:5613 works (or whatever your local LAN IP is).
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I'm behind a NAT router. I'm running Calibre on port 5613, and I've made sure to forward port 5613 to my LAN IP, both incoming and outgoing. I've added a rule in the Windows 7 firewall to allow Calibre's traffic on both public and private networks, and I don't run any antivirus software.

When I go to http://127.0.0.1:5613, I can access the content server just fine. But when I use my external IP, and get a site like Bind2 or DownForEveryone to check if it's accessible, I get an 'unable to connect' error.

Am I missing something obvious?
Starson reminded you about Loopback.
You need to set your router to always have DHCP assign the Same Local IP (reserve) to your computer (this is preferred to using a Static IP on a portable). To discover your computers CURRENT IP, : Goto Network and Sharing center: Right-click the Connection being used: Status: Click the Details button.
There you will find th current IP along with the MAC (physical) address needed for Reserving on many routers.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
MyNameIsMrBurns

I just tried it from another machine on my network and yes, that works.

EDIT: And yes, I have my IP reserved. I've checked under ipconfig /all that it's the correct one.

Last edited by MyNameIsMrBurns; 06-17-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I just tried it from another machine on my network and yes, that works.

EDIT: And yes, I have my IP reserved. I've checked under ipconfig /all that it's the correct one.

When you set up PF, did you , Enable it for the hours you want it available?
(My router has Rules and Services. Both need to be enabled and scheduled )
Old 06-17-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
MyNameIsMrBurns

My router doesn't schedule the rules by time, they're either enabled or disabled, round the clock.

I've set up port forwarding for other applications before, and successfully.

Should the rule for Calibre be applied under 'outbound services', 'inbound services', or both?
Old 06-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
My router doesn't schedule the rules by time, they're either enabled or disabled, round the clock.

I've set up port forwarding for other applications before, and successfully.

Should the rule for Calibre be applied under 'outbound services', 'inbound services', or both?
Start with Both to start, but I would think 'Inbound' ,
but don't block outbound data
Old 06-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I never got it to work. Which is why I'm "stealing" Chaley's work and translating it into .NET so I can use my own IIS to serve my Calibre database
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
MyNameIsMrBurns

Even with rules applied to both, it's not working -- at least according to Bind2/DownForEveryone. Hm.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:35 AM   #10
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Did you try simply connecting to it instead of using those services to see if it's up?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:04 AM   #11
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Did you try simply connecting to it instead of using those services to see if it's up?
I agree with Manichean - just test it remotely with a computer outside the LAN using the IP assigned to your router. If you are forwarding the port to the Calibre machine, it should work. I've set it up on 4-5 machines and routers, and it's always been pretty straight forward. If you do the remote test, check the logs on Calibre afterwards to see if there is any info there.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I agree with Manichean - just test it remotely with a computer outside the LAN using the IP assigned to your router. If you are forwarding the port to the Calibre machine, it should work. I've set it up on 4-5 machines and routers, and it's always been pretty straight forward. If you do the remote test, check the logs on Calibre afterwards to see if there is any info there.
I just set my router up using port 8080, the default to my Ubuntu Calibre (test) install.

I simply typed in the Routers current IP x.x.x.x:8080 into Firefox.
Loops out and back.