Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Mobile Sites

Notices

Old 03-17-2006, 01:07 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Wikipedia Optimized for mobile devices

There are a number of solutions for viewing Wikipedia from mobile devices, either connected or unconnected. One I've not heard of before is a mobile Wikipedia for connected devices. "Apparently you're getting all of the regular Wiki-goodness, including links both inside and outside the site- it's only the multimedia and editing functions that are left out for bandwidth's sake." Not sure how it compares to Wapipedia.

A few other options for reading the Wikipedia on mobile devices include Quickipedia or by RSS feed or TomeRaider or a Plucker version (in the works?) or Wapedia or German Wikipedia for Mobipocket or Wikipedia on your iPod. I'm sure there are more.

One of the current problems is that most people have 1gig cards available, and the size is growing to and past that boundary. I'm not sure of the size of the above solutions, or when they were last updated, but even an older version to fit on a 1gig card is a pretty amazing option. Especially considering that 1gig cards are often showing deals in the $30-$40 range.

From EngadgetMobile.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:32 PM   #2
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Wapedia seems to be the best one Ive used so far, but more is definitely better.
Advert
Old 09-11-2006, 05:47 AM   #3
weaseley2002
weaseley2002 began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 6670
Can anyone clerify this threat?
I am really interested in getting encyclopedia in my mobile phone.
Where can I get it? How and how-to?
Old 09-17-2006, 04:04 AM   #4
johnnaryry
Connoisseur
johnnaryry doesn't litterjohnnaryry doesn't litter

Device: 64GB Apple iPad 3 WiFi, 32GB Apple iPhone 4S
Try MAXpedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaseley2002
Can anyone clerify this threat?
I am really interested in getting encyclopedia in my mobile phone.
Where can I get it? How and how-to?
I've been using MAXpedia on my mobile. Point your phone brower to this URL:

http://maxpedia.org/cgi-bin/mp/maxpedia.pl?

It very fast with a tidy, well designed interface.

--ryan
Old 09-19-2006, 04:27 AM   #5
weaseley2002
weaseley2002 began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 6670
Application

Thanks.
Anyway, i prefer mobile application of encyclopedia because it is more convenient and cheaper. Internet access from mobile is somewhat expensive.

Any advice?
Advert
Old 09-26-2006, 01:48 PM   #6
johnnaryry
Connoisseur
johnnaryry doesn't litterjohnnaryry doesn't litter

Device: 64GB Apple iPad 3 WiFi, 32GB Apple iPhone 4S
Speaking of mobile encyclopedias, has anyone else sampled this excellent effort by the BBC?

Mobile Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I've been using this on my phone for a couple of years now...

--ryan
Old 10-25-2007, 12:57 AM   #7
tbrethes
tbrethes began at the beginning.

Device: htc touch
A new way to access Wikipedia on your mobile : Unyverse

You can install it here : http://www.unyverse.com

I think it gives you the best of both world : online and offline.
Clearly the pure offline approach is not going to work : Wikipedia is growing too fast and the time and cost to download the entire articles on a removable media card is just insane.
On the other hand, the pure WEB ? WAP approach is not optimal, the reading experience is not very good on most mobile web browser, and you need to wait between each page.

Unyverse is a smart client app which :
1) The reading experience is better I think because your can scroll page by page and adapt the font size
2) You can bookmark articles and retrieve them on your unyverse web account
3) You read access offline all your previously downloaded articles, which is usefull when there is no or slow network data coverage.
4) It is faster because the entire article content is downloaded compressed, then you can read any section instantly
Old 10-31-2007, 09:44 AM   #8
CChris
CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Simpad, HTC P4350, Cybook Gen3
Wikipedia for Mobipocket

Hi!

Don't know if thats off-topic or not, but i found a new place that offers wikipedias in mobipocket format.

Big problem being the size of the files...

http://pinguinburg.de/wpmp

Haven't tried them yet, but am planing to to so...
So if only the cybook gen3 could read <4GB SDHC...

CChris
Old 10-31-2007, 11:10 AM   #9
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Thanks for pointing that out. I'll download it tonight at home to test on the iLiad.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:11 AM   #10
josephsmith
josephsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony sonyericsson M600i
m.milkmore.com this site has only texts,not pictures.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:37 AM   #11
Martijn
Connoisseur
Martijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-books

Device: iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CChris View Post
Hi!

Don't know if thats off-topic or not, but i found a new place that offers wikipedias in mobipocket format.

Big problem being the size of the files...

http://pinguinburg.de/wpmp

Haven't tried them yet, but am planing to to so...
So if only the cybook gen3 could read <4GB SDHC...

CChris
I tried this version of wikipedia on my iLiad using a 4Gb CF card.
Unfortunately it doesn't work since the iLiad does not support mobipocket books in multiple parts.