Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-20-2017, 11:27 PM   #1
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Any Way to Keep the Cursor from Blinking?

I have a strobe sensitivity, among other disabilities.

I can't find any info on how to disable blinking cursors in Sigil. Is there any way to do that on the Mac?

I use app-specific settings to disable blinking cursors in Firefox and Thunderbird. I use a terminal hack to disable blinking cursors in NSText applications, but this doesn't work in Webkit applications, unless they have app-specific settings. I can't disable blinking cursors in LibreOffice, so I mostly use NeoOffice instead.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:22 AM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
I don't think so on the Mac. I do not think setting the cursor blink rate is a system level setting in OSX. I know you can with windows and Linux by changing the system setting. I will look into this.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
This may be of some use...
http://lifehacker.com/change-your-ma...nal-1670363052
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:58 AM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That set of terminal commands will only work on official Mac apps from Apple and other code that uses the official Mac gui toolkit. Sigil is a cross-platform Qt app.

Qt looks for a system setting in Linux when running gtk3, and in Windows settings to determine how to set the cursor blink rate, but will not even look at all on Mac OS X since Mac OS X does not have an official user setting for it.

On Qt, this setting is called cursorFlashTime.

I will add a Sigil setting to allow users to set that value (set it to something negative to stop all blinking) in a future release. Our Sigil tree is currently locked against changes that will need translations in preparation for our upcoming Sigil 0.9.8 release which should be made quite soon now.

So look for something in Sigil 0.9.9 (not the upcoming Sigil 0.9.8) in a few months to allow you to control that on Mac OSX.

This really is a deficiency in Accessibility Settings under Mac OS X given a user setting exists on all other platforms.

Thanks for your bug report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Old 03-21-2017, 03:28 PM   #5
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you. That'll be very helpful.
Advert
Old 03-28-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer

For the record, I just committed the following change to Sigil in master:

https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil...820bc5b78015cc

So when Sigil 0.9.9 comes out, it will include support for using an environment variable to disable all text cursor blinking inside Codeview in Sigil.

export SIGIL_DISABLE_CURSOR_BLINK=True

I have tested this in my own builds and it seems to work.

If you are a heavy user of Sigil on the Mac and are in desperate need of this feature, please let me know and I will privately post an OSX build for you to use until the next release is made.

Last edited by KevinH; 03-28-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:24 PM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@KevinH: FYI: I just tested your latest commit on my Arch Linux machine and SIGIL_DISABLE_CURSOR_BLINK worked.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:51 PM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Hi Doitsu,

Thanks for testing it! Any gtk3 theme using desktop on Linux (and possibly other Linux Desktops) should have a setting somewhere for cursor blink that Qt will inherit and use. Ditto for Windows as Qt should inherit the system settings. Unfortunately on OSX there is no system setting that Qt will inherit.

This environment variable should work on all platforms but should only be truly needed on Mac OSX as users of all other systems should be able to control this easier from their system settings.

So your Linux system, is there a way to control the cursor blink rate at the Desktop/system level and does Qt properly use it? Or do you need to use this environment variable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
@KevinH: FYI: I just tested your latest commit on my Arch Linux machine and SIGIL_DISABLE_CURSOR_BLINK worked.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:14 PM   #9
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
So your Linux system, is there a way to control the cursor blink rate at the Desktop/system level and does Qt properly use it?
I'm using OpenBox, which is a minimalist, no-frills window manager. AFAIK, it doesn't have any built-in cursor blink rate options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Or do you need to use this environment variable?
There might be a KDE/Gnome/Xfce based system utility that I could use, but I didn't investigate this further, since setting SIGIL_DISABLE_CURSOR_BLINK worked just fine.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:21 PM   #10
KevinH
Sigil Developer

So it will be useful to at least some Linux users.

That is good to know! Thanks
Old 04-10-2017, 12:56 PM   #11
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Hi MarjaE,

A new Mac build with this Accessibility Feature added has now been posted since I had run into other problems in the Sigil-0.9.8 release binary for Mac.

Feel free to grab the latest release and we can show you how to set the environment variable to disable cursor blinking either each time you launch Sigil or more permanently by adding it to your .bash_profile file.

export SIGIL_DISABLE_CURSOR_BLINK=True
Old 04-15-2017, 03:25 PM   #12
MarjaE
Guru

Thanks. I can see the 0.9.8 version but not the current not-yet-0.9.9 version.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:48 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
Thanks. I can see the 0.9.8 version but not the current not-yet-0.9.9 version.
The Mac 0.9.8 version has been replaced with the new build. There is no 0.9.9 release.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:02 PM   #14
KevinH
Sigil Developer

The newly updated Sigil-0.9.8-Mac-Package.dmg is on the releases and it is the one you want.

Tags
blinking, cursors, flashing