Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-14-2014, 12:15 PM   #1
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Suggestions for buying a new Fire

I have one of the earliest Gen1 Fires. The recharging port is getting a little loose, and I fear soon it may not work anymore, or die of other causes..

I use it 99.9 percent of the time just for reading books, and only turn the WiFi only when I get a new book wirelessly, or when I send a document to it. Once in a blue moon I may go online for something, but as I have a desktop and a laptop, I much prefer to use those.

Therefor, HD is of no interest to me, but I suspect that is all there is now. I still want a back lit screen, and I would like the least expensive model.

There is such a profusion of models now, I am confused (not uncommon at my age) as to what would meet my needs.

Any recommendations?
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I've ordered a Fire HD 6. It's small, the size of the Paperwhite 2.
I wanted something cheap also, so I went for the HD 6 with 16GB storage. I wanted to make certain I'd have plenty of storage and the 16GB is only $20 more than the 8GB.

You may find the 8GB is large enough for you.

I mainly wanted to be able to take advantage of the Prime Instant Videos but I didn't want to spend a lot of money. I won't use it that often.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2014, 01:21 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I concur with mycurlylocks' recommendation. Get the 8GB Fire HD6. it's only $99 + tax. It comes in 5 colors too. From your description of how you use your 1st gen Fire, 8GB sounds like plenty of storage. But just to be sure, tell me how much free storage you currently have on your Fire.
  • swipe down in the upper right corner
  • tap "+ More..."
  • tap "Device"
  • tap "Storage"
  • it will say "x GB" of "y GB" space available
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I was up reading last night on my HD 6. I liked it.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:12 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I love reading on my Fire 6! It's the perfect sized tablet for reading. Although I don't like reading on it outside, really.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #6
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I love the size of the Fire 6... it's so cute! Right now the Amazon reading experience is winning out over CC & Moon+ Reader because of the XRay update.... cool stuff (it doesn't take much to amuse me, keeping me amused, OTOH, is a different story...)
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:18 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
For those that have the new 6" does it connect with TV?
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:41 PM   #8
eumie
Enthusiast
eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 4, Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kindle Oasis 2
Your best bet is the Fire HD 6 like others suggested. It weighs less than the original Fire, the screen is much sharper, and is much faster. It's great for reading and is more portable than the first Fire. It's comfortable to hold in one hand. It's become my primary tablet for reading lately. If you have enough, I'd recommend getting the 16gb for $119. You never know if you'll want to try out a few audiobooks, or use the immersion reading feature for some of the books you have. Audiobooks can take up a bit of space. So can magazines, if you read those. If you don't, the 8gb should be fine.
eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:02 PM   #9
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
No, there is no HDMI port.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:37 AM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
No, there is no HDMI port.
Actually, the USB port is 'SlimPort enabled'. You just need an inexpensive USB SlimPort to HDMI adapter (about $10-12). For a little more you can get one that lets you plug in a charging cable so you don't have to worry about draining the battery while playing video.

I think you can also plug in external USB storage (thought I read that on one of the threads here). I have a 32GB thumb drive that I'll be trying out (has microUSB on one end, standard USB on the other so you can conveniently move files from computer to mobile device).

And it supports Second Screen and Miracast for wireless screen sharing.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #11
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Actually, the USB port is 'SlimPort enabled'. You just need an inexpensive USB SlimPort to HDMI adapter (about $10-12). For a little more you can get one that lets you plug in a charging cable so you don't have to worry about draining the battery while playing video.

I think you can also plug in external USB storage (thought I read that on one of the threads here). I have a 32GB thumb drive that I'll be trying out (has microUSB on one end, standard USB on the other so you can conveniently move files from computer to mobile device).

And it supports Second Screen and Miracast for wireless screen sharing.
Oh, really? Hmm, let me know how that works for you. My computer monitor I use for my MacBook Pro is just a Vizio TV I had sitting around. I wonder if I can just plug it into its USB port to begin with...
Old 10-15-2014, 10:42 AM   #12
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Wow, thanks everybody. I expected about ten different suggestions, but it was unanimous. The 6 it will be.

Tubemonkey, I have 4.79 of 5.37 available. Unlike most folks, once I have finished a book, I delete it and put in another, so don't need much memory. I have a friend who as about 200 books on his device. As he is 82, I doubt he will ever get to read them all.

Besides, now I almost exclusively get library books, with Overdrive, and they have to be "returned" after 14 days anyway.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:58 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
Wow, thanks everybody. I expected about ten different suggestions, but it was unanimous. The 6 it will be.

Tubemonkey, I have 4.79 of 5.37 available. Unlike most folks, once I have finished a book, I delete it and put in another, so don't need much memory. I have a friend who as about 200 books on his device. As he is 82, I doubt he will ever get to read them all.

Besides, now I almost exclusively get library books, with Overdrive, and they have to be "returned" after 14 days anyway.
YW; for you, 8GB (4.5GB actual) will be more than enough. It's only $99.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #14
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Tp amswer your question, yes it can connect to TV, Computer Flash drives etc with the right adapter cable.

On the Fire HD 6 sale page, under accessories, click on the photo of hd6 and there are 2 pages of accessories for it. there are 3 adapter cables, 1 to hook to tv with hdmi, 1 for computer with vga, and 1 usb for attaching any usb 20 deviice such as a mouse, keyobard, memory sticks etc.

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=br_mpk_p...d_i=1268192011
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #15
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado

Thanks again, tubemonkey.

I guess I spoke too soon, as Amazon has a place where they show a picture of the 6" next to the 7" and I am sure that would be too small for me.

I don't have to carry it around too often except to doctors' offices now and then. Due to my poor eyes, I have to use a rather large font size, so there wold be less text on the screen. Also, to me one big flaw in Kindles is that all the menus and other stuff can't be enlarged, so have to use a magnifying glass to read any of that. Or, has that changed with the later models?

So guys, what are your recommendation for a 7" model? Sorry about that.