Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-02-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
jeanravel
jeanravel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500,eBookWise
problem reinstalling/uninstalling eBook Library

Hi-

My computer runs Windows XP. My Sony eBook Library software worked fine with my PRS-500 until I migrated to a new hard drive. When I first start up the computer, the icon for the software is normal, but after its been running for awhile, icon switches to generic windows icon. The software would not reinstall, but it worked fine, so I just left it. But now I just bought a new PRS-505. I tried to reinstall with the new disk, it wouldn't. I tried to uninstall, it wouldn't. I tried to delete the folder and reinstall--no luck. I installed my old Connect software (which worked) and let it control the software update---no dice. I always get the same message, whether trying to install or uninstall----

"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'ebook Library by Sony.msi' in the box below"

Can anyone give me advice?

Jean
jeanravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:44 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanravel View Post
Can anyone give me advice?
Sorry, never seen these problems. Have you tried Sony support?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2008, 12:11 AM   #3
jeanravel

I put in a request to them but haven't heard back. And it's kind of hard to give them all the details when a 255 character limit in the describe problem box barely covers the error message!
Old 05-22-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
growat
growat began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Hello

Wondered if you ever figured this problem out. I'm experiencing the same thing and have no ideas.

Thanks,
Graham
growat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:16 PM   #5
jeanravel

Customer support didn't help at all, but I figured it out on my own. The msi file is the file first unpacked by the installer exe program. I took my original installation disk for the PRS-500 and installed it on another computer. I then copied the msi file from there onto the C:\ path of the computer I had a problem on. I could then uninstall my original program or install the new version with no problem.
*** This only worked for me using the original msi file from the same version of the program I had installed, not an msi from newer versions of the software.***
I can't tell you offhand where the msi file normally gets put on XP, I did it by installing onto a Vista machine. It was 64-bit, so it gave me an error message during installation, but it had already unpacked the msi, so I did a search for the file name (ebook Library by Sony) and found it that way.
Advert