Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
Daisy
Daisy began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Opus
Could Caliber have killed my Opus...?

Hi guys,

Apologies for the melodramatic title but I'm feeling a bit dismayed at the moment! Yesterday I got my new Cybook Opus, charged it up and tried to use Caliber for the first time to import some ebooks. I tried to turn it on five hours ago, and ever since it's been flashing the second booting-up screen over and over again (the pale grey one with a small picture of a Cybook). I've tried everything that searching these forums advised - resetting the device doesn't work, plugging it back in doesn't work (the computer doesn't even recognise it).

I've had a Cybook Opus before but used drag+drop rather than Caliber to import files, and had no problems with crashing at all. I'm going to exchange this Cybook for another one later today, but obviously I don't want to chance using Caliber again if it could be the cause.

Is the problem likely to be caused by Caliber?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Daisy...I don't know what happened with your Opus, but I just received an Opus yesterday also. I charged it, updated firmware (from 1.9 to 2.1), moved the "free" books from it to another folder on my PC and then launched Calibre and put about 20 of my books on it and so far I am not having any problems. It is powering on/waking up just fine. I am running Calibre 0.7.10 right now on a Windows 7 64 bit system.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
Daisy

Okies, that's good to know. I really hoped it was the unit rather than Calibre since I really want to use it!

Thank you very much for the reassurance
Old 08-13-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It could be a faulty book file. I think that cases have been reported where a problematic book can make the Cybook reboot. If the unit tries to read the file, it crashes and reboots. And the unit automatically tries to read the files at first to generate the thumbnails and library data... So, if this is the problem and you have placed the file in the main memory (not an SD card), then the unit will try to read the book again and again, and crash every time, I don't think there is a solution other than reformatting the main memory, but you'd need the special "reformat" version of the firmware, and I don't know if it's available... If you have the books in an SD card, the solution is much simpler: remove the card (and find and delete the problem book using a card reader).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I would suggest unplugging the battery from the back to get it out of boot-up mode. Then plug it back in with Calibre closed, open it up like USB and pull the books you loaded off it. Something copied over that it didn't like.

You already updated to 2.1, right? I tried the 1.6 Mobi firmware first and it did some wonky things (4 resets in a hour!), so I switched to 2.1 ePub and haven't had any problems since.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
Daisy

Thank you all so much for your help, I really appreciate it. I'll buy an SD card and load all of my books onto that rather than risking loading them onto the main memory of my replacement unit! I didn't think about that since those books were all fine on my old model, but I suppose any one of them could've become corrupted.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:01 AM   #7
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Daisy, you didn't mention - did you update your firmware?
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:02 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
You already updated to 2.1, right? I tried the 1.6 Mobi firmware first and it did some wonky things (4 resets in a hour!), so I switched to 2.1 ePub and haven't had any problems since.
That's another idea that avoids reformatting. You can install the mobi firmware, and see if it boots up fine, which is likely if the problem was a bad book, since the mobi firmware does not read ePUBs. Then, once you have the unit on, you can connect it to the computer and remove the book files, and install the ePUB firmware again (and cross your fingers).
Old 08-14-2010, 06:03 AM   #9
Daisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
Daisy, you didn't mention - did you update your firmware?
Nope, it stopped talking to the computer before I got that far! Please forgive my noobishness, but what are firmware updates for and is installing them an absolute must when I start using my replacement Opus?

Also, thank you Jellby and SimplyParticular, I'm glad to know there's a fall-back solution if this continues to happen! I'm going to avoid using the internal memory until I know if any of my books are faulty (which they shouldn't be, unless a file was corrupted when I moved them to calibre), but I'm bookmarking this in case I need it in the future!

Last edited by Daisy; 08-14-2010 at 06:08 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:16 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Note that when I say "faulty ebook", it could be just a minor problem or unconventional feature in the book that triggers a bug in the Cybook. In any case, it is a bug in the Cybook, as it should never crash.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:27 AM   #11
teal.sea
teal.sea began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus; Kindle 3
Uploading Library to New Opus

Hi all, I just had to reformat my Opus and when I tried to simply dump all my books back on Had LOTS of issues. I found that if I made sure I was in folder view and I had set every thing else up first - when I turned on my Cybook Opus it didn't get stuck on the second screen.

This wouldn't be an issue with 20 or so books, but if you've got a bit of a collection you'll have problems.

Before I tried that I thought I had manage to Kill my device.

BTW: I am using Calibre
teal.sea is offline   Reply With Quote