Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-18-2007, 02:11 PM   #1
rudysplif
rudysplif began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad V2
pyGTK

I know python has already been posted for the iLiad.

How hard would it be to get pyGTK working with it?? I'm guessing it would have to be manually modified to get the soft-keyboard working with it??

I don't have any experience working with gui's. I'm working on a content organizer in python that sits ontop of contentLister. When I get to the gui, it'd be nice to be able to do the work with pyGTK

thanks,
rudysplif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:12 AM   #2
Squid9
Squid9 began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
I have been messing around with this, and have managed to compile and run python 2.5.1 and pyGTK 2.12
However, I can (for some reason?) only run it from Mrxvt at the moment. Trying to run from a script from contentlister does not work - I haven't really looked into it (probably some noob mistake). The screen refresh will also probably need to be tweaked to be really useful - I noticed running the pygtk-demo app that sometimes you needed to force a refresh twice (by toggling the soft keyboard between writing and typing) to get all of the screen properly updated

Anyway, Python and pyGTK compile fine in the scratchbox environment without modification. Just set your PYTHON environment variable to the Python-2.5.1 directory or pyGTK will not configure (scratchbox uses python 2.3.4 or something similar)
The only tedious hassle is getting all the dependent libraries compiled and into a suitable lib dir
I found the links in /usr/local to /media/cf/_local that XBoard installed to be immensely helpful here when it came to installing it all to a cf card.

So yeah, it works - with teething trouble. And there probably was an easier/better/cooler way to get something going- (i'm kinda new to using linux for development)

A number of people on the forums had asked questions about pyGTK development but no-one else had reported any real progress with it - so heres my 2 cents. Has anyone else had any success?
Squid9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2007, 06:29 AM   #3
rincewind
Connoisseur
rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iLiad
I had pyglade up and running (based on pyGTK), and it somewhat worked. I also made a small iLiad python module, that contained screen refresh and controlled the LED. Not quite production quality though, and I must admit I got tired of the whole thing - I would myself use some ipdf code and write it in C++, even though it is quite a bit more work... If someone get's Python and pyGTK up and going properly (with scribble support), it would make it dirt quick to write new apps - and it would make me a happy man. :-)

/R
rincewind is offline   Reply With Quote