Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-23-2011, 03:31 AM   #1
Artha
-----
Artha began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung SNE65
otf, ttf, something else?

I'm working on this book. It's UTF8 encoded so it _should_ output right. ADE seems to have trouble with some characters. I only need latin support but latin for all European languages not just Latin 1 or 2. And that seems to call for font embeding. From what I have read around, especially on Mobileread, opentype is the EPUB2 standard font. But I don't seem to find otf files covering all the diacritics I need. On the other hand, ttf is readily available with Dejavu or SIL fonts. And from what I gather they are free to attach too. What can I do? Is there a free tool to do this right as bad conversion might damage the quality.
Artha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Unfortunately, most readers do not have a fully complete UTF-8 font. You can include both otf and ttf, but if you want you can convert a ttf to otf.
The SIL fonts are quite used. There is no real tool for this, but it is not hard. In short, you need to add the font to the ePUB and specify it in the stylesheet. There are some guides on the forum, if you can't find it, let us know.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I believe TTF is supported but most (all) readers that support embedded fonts at all, even though it's not officially required.

Beware of using very large fonts (in filesize), not only they'll make the final book larger too, but some readers may have problems fitting them in memory.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
The same issue pops up every once in a while with Romanian because some fonts simply lack foreign characters (ă, ș, ț, etc), so most of the time I have to copy-paste the regular letters and add commas (,) and various other symbols to them.

TypeTool 3 is what I would recommend for editing fonts. It does the job very well. For something more complex there's FontStudio, but it's more for professionals really. If you're looking for something free, there's FontForge. Except it's for Linux. So if you're using Windows, don't bother with Cygwin. Install VirtualBox and grab a LiveCD copy (700 MB) of Ubuntu, or look at least look here. FontForge may not look pretty but it's written well and does a good job.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
Artha
-----

That's the real issue: Romanian names as most other European diacritics in latin script are supported. The good thing is that I still have to do some typing, but the file is almost ready and it stands around 1.5Mb in size with large cover, three font faces (regular, bold, italic) and the actual text which in the book form goes for about 700 pages. So, in the end the result is pretty good I guess gathering from my private library of about one thousand epubs which can be as large as 100Mb.
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Charis SIL is a very common font to use in embedding and it's free and legal to do so. I've never read/heard of any complaints using it in an ePub as far as not working properly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Charis SIL is a very common font to use in embedding and it's free and legal to do so. I've never read/heard of any complaints using it in an ePub as far as not working properly.
I second this, it's a great looking and very complete font.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
Artha
-----

yes, that's the font. although i like gentium better, but the fine serifs make it less interesting for a low res screen.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artha View Post
yes, that's the font. although i like gentium better, but the fine serifs make it less interesting for a low res screen.
If you need a font to embed Charis SIL can also be made into a smallcap variety which looks much nicer then trying to simulate smallcaps be reducing normal uppercase. Also, it's free can be used in books you sell and looks nice on an eink screen.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #10
Artha
-----

I would have gone for the regular font and just let the software widen it to a bold and slant it instead of using italics. But both solutions are bad — already tested both options with ADE. A bold string like „lli” is almost unreadable, more like guessable and the slanted letters would look nice in print, but, again, on a low res device are quite ugly. Thank you for the idea, but I managed only with these three. And I have discovered that letting systems do the guessing it's a bad idea if you don't have a lot of pixels and some computing power.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Charis SIL comes in regular, bold, bold italics, and italics. No need to let the computer convert styles.