Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-24-2017, 04:00 PM   #151
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWat View Post
Ereaders is great but I still prefer book much more
The book you read with a Reader is still a book. I think what you mean is you prefer paper books.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2017, 05:51 PM   #152
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle voyage wifi, b&n ngp, sony dpt-s1
why does this debate keep coming up? one's preference is as legit as another's. there are advantages on each side and there are disadvantages as well. that's going the be the case for all this vs. that.

for me it's the content that matters most. and to be able to carry enough books in a single device (that weighs less than a single paper book) to last years (if not my entire lifetime) is the primary advantage of the ebook medium. others prefer paper books for its tactile (and maybe olfactory) properties, trading off convenience in the process.

whatever floats your boat.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:05 PM   #153
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
why does this debate keep coming up? one's preference is as legit as another's. there are advantages on each side and there are disadvantages as well. that's going the be the case for all this vs. that.

for me it's the content that matters most. and to be able to carry enough books in a single device (that weighs less than a single paper book) to last years (if not my entire lifetime) is the primary advantage of the ebook medium. others prefer paper books for its tactile (and maybe olfactory) properties, trading off convenience in the process.

whatever floats your boat.
Because physical books get heavy in a hurry when one decides to reorganize the darn things.
Cinisajoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:53 PM   #154
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle voyage wifi, b&n ngp, sony dpt-s1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Because physical books get heavy in a hurry when one decides to reorganize the darn things.
quite correct. when i last moved to a new residence, my paper books were a burden. i was a subscriber of the Library of America. this orginization sends me a premium hard cover book with acid free (and really thin) paper once a month. each volume also comes in its own box sleeve, making it even heavier. each cost about $20. when i moved, i was able to sell them in mint condition to a local book store for $3 each.

and i still have a number of paper books left over (recipes, university text books, medical books, references). i would like to digitize some of these before donating them. and speaking of donating paper books, i found out that A LOT of organizations (including public libraries) wouldn't even accept them. only Good Will stores that specialize in carrying books would accept what i had to offer.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:44 PM   #155
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
quite correct. when i last moved to a new residence, my paper books were a burden. i was a subscriber of the Library of America. this orginization sends me a premium hard cover book with acid free (and really thin) paper once a month. each volume also comes in its own box sleeve, making it even heavier. each cost about $20. when i moved, i was able to sell them in mint condition to a local book store for $3 each.

and i still have a number of paper books left over (recipes, university text books, medical books, references). i would like to digitize some of these before donating them. and speaking of donating paper books, i found out that A LOT of organizations (including public libraries) wouldn't even accept them. only Good Will stores that specialize in carrying books would accept what i had to offer.
I was halfway teasing. I am in the process of making my cookbook collection more user friendly. Even 25-30 books get heavy at moving them 1 at a time.
All the Goodwills around here have books. (This is not such a good thing if one collects cookbooks. At $1 or less each, great prices but now I need to revamp so I can actually find a book.)
Cinisajoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM   #156
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
No matter your preferences, I do feel that eBooks/Reader is better for things like going on vacation where you only have to take just the Reader and not a heavy pile of pBooks. So in that case, eBooks clearly are better. But at home, it's whatever you prefer.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM   #157
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, Droid Razr Maxx HD
As someone with much less than perfect vision, it's really either e-readers or nothing for me.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM   #158
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I live in a retirement home in a small town of 3,000 people. Until very recently we haven't had a bookstore here. In Houston, where I lived most of my life, we had bookstores all around us; used bookstores, new ones, big ones, small ones, all over the place.

Yesterday I found that we have a bookstore in town now. It's a fairly conventional small new book store and it seems they're doing well enough that they've bought a larger store across the street and are decorating it to move in there to have more room and even serve coffee and put in easy chairs.

Unfortunately it's about a mile and a half away, mostly uphill from me, and at 76 walking there is unrealistic. I don't have a car. None of my neighbors with cars care about bookstores.

But I do have a Kindle so I'm still okay.

I read ebooks exclusively now because it's convenient and inexpensive and my old eyes need a slightly larger font. I suspect if that bookstore was a block away I'd make it a regular destination just because I like bookstores but I doubt I'd buy anything there other than coffee. It really would be nice to have a quiet place like that to sit and read if they didn't mind me reading my Kindle.

Still, I'm pretty excited that this thing is here and doing well. The fact is that I love to read and bookstores used to be a very nice part of the reading experience. I feel a lot of sentimental attachment to them.

But it's not books or bookstores or Kindles or Kobos that are truly important to me. It's reading and all of these things are just ways to read. They're really nice in and of themselves but it's reading that matters; not books or devices or stores. Not Paper or e-ink. Not stores or websites. It's words moving into my brain. It's the story, the absorption, the fun that matters. It's the communication from the author to me.

Barry
What's your favorite thing to read Barry? I agree that the media isn't the important part. The reading itself is its own reward.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM   #159
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No matter your preferences, I do feel that eBooks/Reader is better for things like going on vacation where you only have to take just the Reader and not a heavy pile of pBooks. So in that case, eBooks clearly are better. But at home, it's whatever you prefer.
And what you have room for. I mean if you live in a big house where you have room you can have a lot of paper books if you wish, but if you live in a small apt for example then ebooks are far easier to store when not being read.
Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM   #160
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThought View Post
Then you'll probably recognize this: "You are standing in a large room. You see something shining on the floor next to you..."

or...

Leisure Suit Larry anyone?
You can still find text adventure games if you know where to look. You can even find the tools to write them online for free. They aren't as popular as graphic games but they are still out there.
Old Today, 06:59 AM   #161
JustinThought
Connoisseur
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
---and, since I often read myself to sleep, beating myself severely about the head and shoulders with an e-reader as I nod off is much safer than using the equivalent paper book.
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:32 AM   #162
charis9
charis9 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I think it is really difficult to choose between ebook or paper version. Depends on the situation. Even in a case of studying it is difficult to decide. From one side, I like e book. Easier to find information. From the other, side it is easier to learn something from a paper book.
if we speak about simple reading also depends. Reading in a transport is usually more convenient with e book but reading outside is more relaxing with a paper book. Well, this is a really subjective view but that how it works for me.
charis9 is offline   Reply With Quote