Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-21-2017, 05:08 PM   #16
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
My local Books-a-million store closed several years ago. I've been buying ebooks from the online store for a few years and they've always had tons of emails with coupons. Unfortunately none of the coupons ever seems to be good on ebooks.
That seems to confirm my suspicion that BAM never was interested in getting into ebooks in a big way. For whatever reason, they've decided to have only a token presence in that business. I can't think of another company which went that route. Can anyone else?

Charles (Anderson) must have a lot of business acumen. He went from having an independent bookstore in a downtown store in a relatively small town to building a huge dead-tree distribution system for the benefit of his company and other vendors (I think), and a widespread collection of big B&M stores of his own. (But he's certainly no Jeff Bezos!). Perhaps he could see that the ebook business was going to be saturated, the weaker companies would go out of business, and that that business just didn't have long-term prospects to be profitable for the majority of companies. That's just my guess. That has been proven true, so far, to a great degree. But, I'm "sure" that his big B&M stores are struggling, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I always download books I buy from any store as soon as I buy them - I've never understood why anyone wouldn't do this.
Because some of us spend waaaay too much time on this Internet list, when we should be spending our time doing things like that. That's one of my reasons. And my issue with GBTIism (Get Back to It-ism).

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 05-21-2017 at 05:11 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:10 PM   #17
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Tripllicate. Sorry.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 05-21-2017 at 10:45 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:57 PM   #18
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Every now and then BAM will have a lower price on supposedly Agency priced books. So I do check them, but have only bought ebooks there a few times.

Every time I've bought one there it took two or three hours before the book was available to be downloaded. (Even Kobo with all their Kobo-isms manages to get books in your library immediately.) I was not impressed with BAM's customer service.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:03 AM   #19
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
Every now and then BAM will have a lower price on supposedly Agency priced books. So I do check them, but have only bought ebooks there a few times.

Every time I've bought one there it took two or three hours before the book was available to be downloaded. (Even Kobo with all their Kobo-isms manages to get books in your library immediately.) I was not impressed with BAM's customer service.
I don't think I've ever had to wait more than about 30 - 60 for a book to be available for download after purchase. I just keep refreshing the page until it appears as ready. If I had to wait 3 hours I probably wouldn't shop there, unless a book was at an incredible bargain price compared to all other stores.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:14 PM   #20
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I get emails from it, and the rate of its discounts, coupon giveaways, and such like seems to have really escalated in the last 6 months to one year, or so. That is the reason that I think that BAM may be the next domino to fall.

My observation is that businesses start heavily discounting for at least one of two reasons. One, is that it is changing its business model. Companies do that from time to time for various reasons. That's not necessarily a reason for concern. Second, they are in serious financial trouble, need to increase their cash flow dramatically, and need to do it soon. That is definitely a red flag.
You could be right, but I will say, a third option is they're positioning themselves to be purchased.

Both Fictionwise and Tantor had amazing sales beginning about a year before their sales (to B&N and Recorded Books, respectively) were announced. Then the incredible sales fell off.

I used to buy print books from BAM - they had better prices than even Amazon for quite awhile. But when I stopped buying print books, that was the end of my relationship with BAM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:19 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Both Fictionwise and Tantor had amazing sales beginning about a year before their sales (to B&N and Recorded Books, respectively) were announced. Then the incredible sales fell off.
Fictionwise didn't die off because of B&N buying them. Fictionwise died off because Apple and the price fix 6 killed off their business model. When agency pricing came into effect, Fictionwise was no longer able to do business the way they were. Fictionwise was a very popular eBook shop. I shopped there and bought a lot of eBooks as did a lot of the regulars of MR back then. Apple and the price fix 6 killed off a lot of eBook stores who could no longer maintain their business models. And some went away because of the problem with contracts. It was a disaster and the US Justice Department did not do enough with the law suits. It was a total botch job.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:22 PM   #22
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Fictionwise didn't die off because of B&N buying them. Fictionwise died off because Apple and the price fix 6 killed off their business model. When agency pricing came into effect, Fictionwise was no longer able to do business the way they were. Fictionwise was a very popular eBook shop. I shopped there and bought a lot of eBooks as did a lot of the regulars of MR back then. Apple and the price fix 6 killed off a lot of eBook stores who could no longer maintain their business models. And some went away because of the problem with contracts. It was a disaster and the US Justice Department did not do enough with the law suits. It was a total botch job.
All of which has nothing to do with what FizzyWater said.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:08 AM   #23
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
You could be right, but I will say, a third option is they're positioning themselves to be purchased.
It could be. They went private in Dec 2015 so it would be easy to complete a deal.

Problem is, who wants 260 pbook stores of assorted sizes?
They are a breakeven company, netting around $3M on sales of $474M. (Less tban 1% margin.) And, since they own a chain of standalone yogurt shops, it is quite possible the profits come from yogurt, not books.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Books-A-Million

They aren't bleeding like B&N but they're hardly healthy so, where's the value? Growth potential? Their asset valuation looks pretty low, too, so they don't even look like dismantling them would yield much value. They don't control much of the market, either, about 3%.

They are a barely there presence.

Last edited by fjtorres; 05-27-2017 at 07:23 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:52 PM   #24
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
For what it is worth I too wish BAM to succeed. It is the only bookstore nearby with the next B&N being 40 miles away.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:50 PM   #25
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
For what it is worth I too wish BAM to succeed. It is the only bookstore nearby with the next B&N being 40 miles away.
The Books a Million that closed in my town was just across the road from Barnes and Noble - maybe that was too close. However, there always seemed to be plenty of people shopping at BAM whenever I went there, and I usually had to wait in line to check out.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:02 AM   #26
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I'm pretty sure it hasn't been tested in court
Court cases in New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.
The vendors were bookstores, selling paperbacks that other bookstores had torn the cover from.

Quote:
but who wants a book with no cover? It has very little resell value.
There are people who are interested in specific books, purely for the content. Condition is literally irrelevant. They aren't collectors. They merely want the information in the book.
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:46 PM   #27
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat_Lux View Post
There are people who are interested in specific books, purely for the content. Condition is literally irrelevant. They aren't collectors. They merely want the information in the book.
Yes, this. Anyone who's bought 4 books for a dollar from Goodwill is likely plenty happy to get recent genre books with no covers for the same price. I remember buying cover-free books as a teenager and having no idea that the missing cover meant anything more than "this got torn at some point." (I think this was a few titles in thrift stores, so likely single copies grabbed from dumpsters rather than entire crates grabbed for resale purposes.)

If your main interest in acquiring books is to read them, a missing cover is a minor nuisance - it means the title page is more likely to get wrinkled, so maybe you should replace the cover with a bit of cardstock or something like that.

If you also want to have a nice-looking, shareable collection, then yeah, a missing cover is a problem. If you want to be able to resell it, then the missing cover is a problem. But if you're going to read it and leave it at a bus stop somewhere for someone else, lack of a nice-looking cover doesn't impede that at all.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:55 PM   #28
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Yes, this. Anyone who's bought 4 books for a dollar from Goodwill is likely plenty happy to get recent genre books with no covers for the same price. I remember buying cover-free books as a teenager and having no idea that the missing cover meant anything more than "this got torn at some point." (I think this was a few titles in thrift stores, so likely single copies grabbed from dumpsters rather than entire crates grabbed for resale purposes.)

If your main interest in acquiring books is to read them, a missing cover is a minor nuisance - it means the title page is more likely to get wrinkled, so maybe you should replace the cover with a bit of cardstock or something like that.

If you also want to have a nice-looking, shareable collection, then yeah, a missing cover is a problem. If you want to be able to resell it, then the missing cover is a problem. But if you're going to read it and leave it at a bus stop somewhere for someone else, lack of a nice-looking cover doesn't impede that at all.
Shall I show you my paperback version of The Joy of Cooking. Bought new September 1983. The front cover is fine. However, don't look at the index for tomatoes. The back cover has long since disappeared and part of the index.
I also have a 1935 cookbook that is in pristine shape except no cover whatsoever.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:46 PM   #29
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I remember buying cover-free books as a teenager and having no idea that the missing cover meant anything more than "this got torn at some point." (I think this was a few titles in thrift stores, so likely single copies grabbed from dumpsters rather than entire crates grabbed for resale purposes.)
One of our local stores (can't remember if it was a "drugstore" or a Woolworth) used to sell them for a quarter. And like you, I had no idea that was illegal. It was the only way I could afford my romance book habit. I used to make my own covers with construction paper.

I don't remember when those stopped being available, but I remember still having some of those books in the late 70s when I was in high school.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:56 AM   #30
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
One of our local stores (can't remember if it was a "drugstore" or a Woolworth) used to sell them for a quarter. And like you, I had no idea that was illegal. It was the only way I could afford my romance book habit. I used to make my own covers with construction paper.

I don't remember when those stopped being available, but I remember still having some of those books in the late 70s when I was in high school.
Woolworths did it everywhere.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote