Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 12-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #136
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I quite agree. Just jumping into Hound otB would lead one to wonder about Watson's sanity if there hadn't been the preceding several storyies to bring in the methodology of Holmes. I'll go into more when discussion week arrives.
Not me. If I had read A Study in Scarlet before reading HOTB I don't think I would have wanted to read more. It seems very true when they say that an authors first work is not usually his best.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #137
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Not me. If I had read A Study in Scarlet before reading HOTB I don't think I would have wanted to read more. It seems very true when they say that an authors first work is not usually his best.

BOb

That may be true, however, character development is very important when it comes to a series, isn't it?

Thats why I like to read in chronological order, it really gives you a better understanding of the people in the books.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2008, 03:31 PM   #138
winspiration
Connoisseur
winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Kindle Fire HD
I decided to read them in order too, just finished A Study in Scarlet and about to start The Sign of the Four.
winspiration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:42 AM   #139
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
That may be true, however, character development is very important when it comes to a series, isn't it?

Thats why I like to read in chronological order, it really gives you a better understanding of the people in the books.......
I'll go back and start at the beginning, after I finish the Count. Meanwhile, I really enjoyed the "Hound".
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:24 AM   #140
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

I do agree that starting on order can give an overall better reading experience.

You learn about the characters and some things in later books refer back to things that have happened in earlier books that will either be a spoiler or make more sense having read the earlier book(s). I have seen cases where the ending of a previous book was totally spoiled by a later book. So not having read in order would have been a rather bad idea.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2008, 09:25 AM   #141
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by winspiration View Post
I decided to read them in order too, just finished A Study in Scarlet and about to start The Sign of the Four.
I too have started from the beginning and am also in the midst of The Sign of the Four.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:28 AM   #142
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are so many books on my Kindle now, I doubt I will ever finish them......and I continue to download.

However, that being said, I am so enjoying re-reading "The Sherlock Holmes Omnibus" I am really taking my time and plan to stick with it till the end.

Reading him makes me feel all cozy and warm.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:29 PM   #143
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I too have started from the beginning and am also in the midst of The Sign of the Four.
Same here (after finishing HOTB). I finished The Sign of the Four and moved on to Adventures... currently on Red Headed League story.

BOb
Old 12-14-2008, 04:40 AM   #144
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
However, that being said, I am so enjoying re-reading "The Sherlock Holmes Omnibus" I am really taking my time and plan to stick with it till the end.
It's definitely a book to "dip into" rather than read through from start to end, for me at least.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:56 PM   #145
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Ooh I wanted to read Hound of the Baskervilles anyway...
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:17 PM   #146
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

For all those MRBC members that may be subscribed to this thread. I want you to be aware that there is now a "Community Group" for the book club.

Please visit here and join in:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/group.php?groupid=11

BOb
Old 02-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #147
Marian0121
Marian0121 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Hi,

I am new to MR and saw this thread for a book club. I am very interested but am having difficulty finding out the book for February. Help please.

Marian
Marian0121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #148
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marian0121 View Post
Hi,

I am new to MR and saw this thread for a book club. I am very interested but am having difficulty finding out the book for February. Help please.

Marian
Hello Marion, and welcome to MobileRead! This months book is "Refuge", by Richard Herley. You can download it from here, in assorted formats.

I am about 1/2 way thru and, and its a great read.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:19 PM   #149
Marian0121
Marian0121 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Thanks for the info. I will try to find it. It is taking me a bit to get around Mobile Read.
Marian0121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:43 PM   #150
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marian0121 View Post
Thanks for the info. I will try to find it. It is taking me a bit to get around Mobile Read.
You can also get it from the links on the author's site:
http://www.richardherley.com/downloa...ther%20formats
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote