Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Please recommend a good Password Manager

I'm looking for a secure and simple-to-access password manager; I would appreciate some recommendations, please.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
About 2 years ago I switched to LastPass and I absolutely love it. Firefox no longer saves my passwords. Some people don't like that your passwords are stored at LastPass, but it syncs all my passwords between all computers, laptops, netbooks without any hassle. I now have long random generated passwords different for every site... no more using an easy one for all forums, one long one for online stores, etc.

Just make sure your LastPass password is something long and secure with random numbers and symbols that you can remember. Also make sure the email account associated with LastPass has an equally difficult password. If they can hack your email, they can request a password change if they can get access to your email.

LastPass is free, but there is a pay version which I think the main difference is that it will also sync with your phone, or let you also password some programs on your PC. The free version is more than enough for me.

KeePass is another excellent free program that doesn't store anything in the cloud, so I occasionally use it for passwording programs like CuteFTP so my ftp passwords aren't easily accessible to hackers. I don't think it does near as good a job for website passwords though as LastPass.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Second LastPass. Just make sure you have a *good* app password.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Password protect a spreadsheet
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Password protect a spreadsheet
Dedicated programs like Keepass and LastPass have extra functionality that can be useful, and generally have very good encryption. In the past, that's not been true of spreadsheets, though that may have changed.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I'm a fan of mSecure, although it's not cheap.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
1password. I have it on my iMacs, iPad, iPhone, Nexus 7. The password file is on Dropbox, and is accessible across all of my devices. I've been using it since 2007.

https://agilebits.com/onepassword
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #8
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I'm trying LastPass. I've installed it and set up my master password. It's now asking if I want to remove insecure data items from my computer. I guess that would mean passwords I saved in Chrome? Should I go ahead and delete these?

(The spreadsheet option won't work for me; I use OpenOffice on my personal laptop and Excel 2010 on my work laptop, and I can't open my password-protected OO spreadsheets with Excel. I know this because this is the situation with my personal budget spreadsheet, which I can't open at work.)
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
You need to make sure that LastPass first has all those passwords in its database before you delete them, but once that's done, yes, delete them all from your browser and LastPass will log you in whenever you need.

I also used an encrypted text file for all my passwords in the past, that way I could add as many notes as I needed about any entry and just keep it in alpha order. I encrypt it with AxCrypt, free encryption software that works very well. I still keep that encrypted file just in case, but it was always easier than a spreadsheet that might need a program to open. My text file just opens in Notepad.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #10
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Quote:
(The spreadsheet option won't work for me; I use OpenOffice on my personal laptop and Excel 2010 on my work laptop, and I can't open my password-protected OO spreadsheets with Excel. I know this because this is the situation with my personal budget spreadsheet, which I can't open at work.)
That's strange, because that's what I do. OO at home, excel at work. You do have to save your home files as .xls to open them with excel, but the password protection still works. It has the advantage of not costing extra. I used to use passwords plus until the sync broke, and their help consisted of telling me to uninstall and reinstall....what, type them all out again? Pfffft. I have a printed copy of the spreadsheet at home, as well.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:52 AM   #11
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
I'm looking for a secure and simple-to-access password manager; I would appreciate some recommendations, please.
my security is Bitdefender
it has password manager

also on Android

Last edited by forsooth; 04-30-2013 at 08:33 AM.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:57 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
That's strange, because that's what I do. OO at home, excel at work. You do have to save your home files as .xls to open them with excel, but the password protection still works. It has the advantage of not costing extra. I used to use passwords plus until the sync broke, and their help consisted of telling me to uninstall and reinstall....what, type them all out again? Pfffft. I have a printed copy of the spreadsheet at home, as well.
There are lots of tools around for cracking Excel passwords. Do a Google search!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:14 AM   #13
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There are lots of tools around for cracking Excel passwords. Do a Google search!
Yes, but nobody is going to bother to acces the computer to get the file.

I use mostly two password. Only sensitive accounts (paypal, amazon, gmail..), are protected with a specific password, built in a way i will remember.

Passphrases are good, long so it protect against brute force, and easy to remember.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 04-15-2013 at 06:17 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:16 AM   #14
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Keepass and KeepassX both do things in an appropriate way from what I can tell and are free and open source* giving plenty of people a chance to check they're not doing anything really dumb like some password managers have.

Also, minikeepass is available for OSX again with full source code available.

No guarantee they're flawless of course.

* imho if it's security based and you're relying on the implementation been sound, it better be open source so either you or others can verify it.

Last edited by JoeD; 04-17-2013 at 07:11 AM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #15
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
I've been using Roboform for many years and like it a lot, obviously or I wouldn't keep using it and pay for it. Excellent program.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote