Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #16
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Any PW's I've seen in the flesh have looked very good, but apart from covering one up with my jacket to try and see it in the dark(!), they've all been viewed in lighted store conditions. I've now looked at six different models though and not spotted any of the problems that people have complained about.

Kobo Glo also only viewed in shops, but it looked impressive too. I do worry a little that the blue tinge would start to be an irritation when reading in darker conditions, but have noticed in the Kobo forum that newer versions of the Glo seem to have less of a blue tinge, so maybe it's something they are improving all the time. Still have the same concerns about firmware updates, bug fixes etc for Kobo, but I haven't read anything about the screen of the Glo being fragile though?

While my current e-readers continue to work just fine, I'm happy to wait and see what happens later on this year. Will Sony release a lighted reader, and will it be competitively priced? Will the next Kindle PW trump it anyway?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #17
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Also I understand the Glo screen (like the Nook) is fragile so I wouldn't buy one.
Curious to where you're hearing that from? I can't say I've seen any threads or posts suggesting that in the Kobo forum here**. Only fragility to the Kobo screen is the glass substrate which is the same for pretty much all e-ink readers front-lit or not. Nook seems to be the only one that is developing bright spots from screen damage.

**- only thing I can think of is the rare "bright pixel" from a manufacturing issue, but that's an up-front issue, not a fragility in use issue, and really does seem to be rare.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #18
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Curious to where you're hearing that from? I can't say I've seen any threads or posts suggesting that in the Kobo forum here**. Only fragility to the Kobo screen is the glass substrate which is the same for pretty much all e-ink readers front-lit or not. Nook seems to be the only one that is developing bright spots from screen damage.

**- only thing I can think of is the rare "bright pixel" from a manufacturing issue, but that's an up-front issue, not a fragility in use issue, and really does seem to be rare.
Okay, so the kobo screen is not the same as the nook? My bad and apologies. The kobo screen is very nice.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #19
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No the Kobo screen isn't the same as the Nook screen, which is one of the ways in which both the Kobo & the Kindle have improved the front-lighted screens since the Nook Glowlight was released. The layer they use for the light guide is different, it's more robust and won't scratch or get damaged in the same way in which the Nook has suffered.

As well as increased resolution, more clarity, more even spread of light, and the fact the LEDs are located at the bottom of the screen instead of a long the top - though from what you've posted, you looked at the Glo and saw that differently...... It's been a while since I last looked at a Glo in person, but that was one of the improvements both it and the PW were supposed to have made in comparison to the Nook?

Last edited by soulfuldog; 03-07-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #20
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Any PW's I've seen in the flesh have looked very good, but apart from covering one up with my jacket to try and see it in the dark(!), they've all been viewed in lighted store conditions.
I tried crawling under the display table with one, but it was on too short of a tether. There really isn't a way to simulate what they would be like in night-time conditions.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #21
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre

Glad to hear I'm not the only one fooling around with PW's in shops..... It was actually pretty dark under my jacket, I just felt like an idiot doing it! But yes, I do appreciate it's not quite the same.

Incidentally, I have heard of a few people buying Kobo Glo's who have asked to take the one they've just bought into a cupboard in the store so they can check it in the dark for light spots. But the key difference is they aren't just testing them, they have bought them first and are just checking quickly for an obvious defect so they can exchange it there and then.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:52 AM   #22
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Has anyone played with or owned both a PW and Glo? How do the screen illuminations compare?
Old 03-08-2013, 05:17 AM   #23
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
I had the Glo for a week before returning it and buying a PW. I would say that at the same perceived brightness, the Glo had a more evenly lit screen. I returned the Glo as, for me, the light couldn't be set low enough, it was always as bright as a LCD screen. My PW is always set at level 2 or 3 which improves the contrast without having a glaring screen. I do prefer the software of the Kobo though, better font control and easier collections with Calibre.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #24
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
I had the Glo for a week before returning it and buying a PW. I would say that at the same perceived brightness, the Glo had a more evenly lit screen. I returned the Glo as, for me, the light couldn't be set low enough, it was always as bright as a LCD screen. My PW is always set at level 2 or 3 which improves the contrast without having a glaring screen. I do prefer the software of the Kobo though, better font control and easier collections with Calibre.
Thanks for that bit of info. I'm considering a front lit reader, and I think my preferences are like yours in that I tend to prefer the dimmest possible screen in a darkened room. I always turn the screen on my smartphone all the way down in bed after lights out. That's for my own eyes and also to decrease the chance of disturbing my wife, who is a very light sleeper.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #25
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I have both the Kobo Glo and the Kindle Paperwhite.

Here is my assessment of my two units:

The Kindle is much faster.

The Kobo Glo has dicey firmware and (sometimes) will produce a screen that is only 1/2 or 3/4 full of text.

The light on the Kobo Glo is brighter - but very manageable.

I like the Kindle firmware much better.

Moving from mobi to epub is nothing - I use calibre.

The Kindle paperwhite is a bit heavier than the Kobo Glo.

The Kobo Glo can use an mini-SD card.

I have no need for a mini-SD card.

I prefer both units, and enjoy both units - for the added luxury of having some variety in my life.

In case someone here is forgetful, the comments are based upon my experiences with my two units. Your life-force may vary.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-11-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #26
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Thanks for that head to head comparison Dr. Drib. It seems that the Paperwhite is the slightly better choice for me overall (although if my sentimental side had its way, I would choose to support the scrappy underdog Kobo).

Last edited by usuallee; 03-14-2013 at 08:56 AM.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:35 AM   #27
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I have both the Kobo Glo and the Kindle Paperwhite.

Here is my assessment of my two units:

The Kindle is much faster.

The Kobo Glo has dicey firmware and (sometimes) will produce a screen that is only 1/2 or 3/4 full of text.

The light on the Kobo Glo is brighter - but very manageable.

I like the Kindle firmware much better.

Moving from mobi to epub is nothing - I use calibre.

The Kindle paperwhite is a bit heavier than the Kobo Glo.

The Kobo Glo can use an mini-SD card.

I have no need for a mini-SD card.

I prefer both units, and enjoy both units - for the added luxury of having some variety in my life.

In case someone here is forgetful, the comments are based upon my experiences with my two units. Your life-force may vary.

Don
My intention in starting this thread was to compare the front-lighting technology. You have said very little about that. How do the two forms of front-lighting compare between these two models?
Old 03-24-2013, 04:57 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Rizla - given the fact that your sig says that you've already decided not to buy Amazon, I'm a little puzzled about why you're asking for views on the PW.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #29
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
My intention in starting this thread was to compare the front-lighting technology. You have said very little about that. How do the two forms of front-lighting compare between these two models?

I would say that the Kobo Glo has a slightly (and I mean VERY slightly) overall lighted coverage. For me - using my two units - this difference is almost nothing. Both units are excellent in delivering an extremely satisfying light.

The Kobo Glo puts out a brighter light, but is (for me) quite manageable and is not a problem whatsoever.

The Kindle paperwhite has (for me) a more satisfying 'cooler' color, and it is this ebook reader that I spend about 85% of my time with.

To conclude: I prefer the light over the Kindle.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is one device left out of the list. There is also the i62HD Firefly. It's from Onyx.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote