Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #18946
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Well, I'm running down the road
tryin' to loosen my load
I've got seven women on my mind,
Four that wanna own me,
Two that wanna stone me,
One says she's a friend of mine,
Take it easy, take it easy
Don't let the sound of your own wheels
Drive you crazy
Lighten up while you still can
Don't even try to understand
Just find a place to take your stand
and take it easy

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zuhxfrXocw )

Good morning, everyone! It's a sunny Sunday, and I'm greeting it with a cup of East India Company's "Royal Breakfast" tea, and toasted bagels with butter and cream cheese! (I forgot to buy the smoked salmon... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I just cant get in to this this sports roller skate pretending to be a valid means of transportation. Right now I drive an Explorer I picked up for $2,500 but if i had unlimited funds it be something a bit bigger, probably with a snorkel attachment, a winch, and really rally pricey tires.
I think it's a 'location' thing. In California canyon racing I loved the handling of the sports car. In Vermont winters ( and mud season) I was very glad I was driving a big heavy Chevy Suburban. In the jungles of northern Thailand I wouldn't have switched my 4x4 Caribbean for anything else. Here in Japan, the Vitz seems to be just right. But at the same time, I've always found a motorcycle to be my favorite ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
A similar tense night here. Finishing my morning cranberry juice.
I'm glad to hear that everyone made it through OK this time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Chaseley View Post
I have just slurped down the last mouthful of a perfectly made, utterly normal cup of hot, sugary tea. Bog standard, no airs and graces, Tetley tea. Smashing!
Sugar? In tea? Shirley you jest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
No, but we certainly will try to convert him.
... as well we should! Jim... we need to talk...

Quote:
Just back from a drive. The sun came out, the top came down, and who cares if it's 5 degrees, THE SUN IS OUT!
Gee... I wonder if I should put my top down too? Wait a sec... Hey! I don't have a top!! It's ALWAYS sunny on a motorcycle!!

Think I need another mug of tea! (Psst...Jim... NO SUGAR!!!)

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #18947
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Vanilla and Chocolate ice cream with butter scotch and hot fudge. Well, it was in my bowl.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #18948
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Sugar? In tea? Shirley you jest?

... as well we should! Jim... we need to talk...

Gee... I wonder if I should put my top down too? Wait a sec... Hey! I don't have a top!! It's ALWAYS sunny on a motorcycle!!

Think I need another mug of tea! (Psst...Jim... NO SUGAR!!!)

Stitchawl

Very glad everyone made it through that nastiness down there.

Meanwhile, I had a nice dinner at the little family run Vietnamese restaurant down the road from here. And a pot of High Mountain Oolong with it. (No Sugar, of course.)

An excellent Oolong, similar to the Peet's Phoenix Mountain Oolong I often have. One of the things I like about this restaurant is that they have real teas that are well treated and served with respect.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:15 AM   #18949
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Weather change! Now drinking Lapsang Souchong tea...

Stitchawl
Old 03-04-2012, 03:55 AM   #18950
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
No, but we certainly will try to convert him.
BBC Radio 4's "Weekend Woman's Hour" had an item on how to make tea - in the part I caught while driving yesterday, they were doing some taste tests on teabag vs loose tea, and tea made in a cup vs tea made in a proper teapot.

But in my cup: Coke Zero #2
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:16 AM   #18951
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
BBC Radio 4's "Weekend Woman's Hour" had an item on how to make tea - in the part I caught while driving yesterday, they were doing some taste tests on teabag vs loose tea, and tea made in a cup vs tea made in a proper teapot.
I'm curious as to their definition of a 'proper' teapot. There are two schools of Cha-no-yu, the Cha-do tea ceremony; one which states that the pot to heat the water be made of ceramic, and the other that the pot must be cast iron. Neither make the finished tea in a pot, but rather in a bowl from which it is drunk, (drank? drinked?) consumed.

Some black teas do better with a hotter water, only possible by using a teapot. Others, not needing to steep so hot, would fare well in a thick walled mug. In any case, I would think using a thin bone china cup would allow the water to cool much too quickly for any black tea!

Speaking of which, I think I'll make myself a mug of Yorkshire tea! In the ceramic beer mug I use for a tea cup!

Stitchawl
Old 03-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #18952
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have 2 cup and 4 cup versions of those squat, cast-iron tea pots, and love them. But these days if I'm just making tea for myself, it's the Swiss-Gold filter caddie in my heavy Peet's mug. Works extremely well, and makes a very good (and predictable) cup of tea.

Quote:
Weather change! Now drinking Lapsang Souchong tea...
That says it all, doesn't it?

We're looking at sunny but chilly here in the Seattle area today, but the possibility of some snow in the next coiuple of days. I don't care as long as it doesn't snow Wednesday, when I drive home.

Going to take a run by the Peet's store here. Almost out of Lion Mountain Keemun, and Ti Kwan Yin Oolong, and I wouldn't mind getting a backup filter and mug. And besides, it's the only hope of getting a decent cup of coffee in this Starbucks town.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #18953
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
I have 2 cup and 4 cup versions of those squat, cast-iron tea pots, and love them. But these days if I'm just making tea for myself, it's the Swiss-Gold filter caddie in my heavy Peet's mug. Works extremely well, and makes a very good (and predictable) cup of tea.

That says it all, doesn't it?

We're looking at sunny but chilly here in the Seattle area today, but the possibility of some snow in the next coiuple of days. I don't care as long as it doesn't snow Wednesday, when I drive home.

Going to take a run by the Peet's store here. Almost out of Lion Mountain Keemun, and Ti Kwan Yin Oolong, and I wouldn't mind getting a backup filter and mug. And besides, it's the only hope of getting a decent cup of coffee in this Starbucks town.
oh! make a run down to Pike Place Market while you are still here and go to the Market Spice store (on the same level as the Pig) they have a truly amazing selection of tea and pots and cups!

I have a glass pot at work as part of my tea drinking experience is enjoying the color, much like wine
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #18954
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I know the store, been there a couple of times. But you know how hard it is to get downtown from the east side. Plus if I spend any more $$ on teas my DW will have something forceful and definite to say.

So I only bought a bit of Sencha to try again. This is a tea I have never really learned to love, but I periodically give it another try as my tea tastes change over the years. I'm a big fan of China Greens, but haven't ever really learned to love Japan Greens. But as I was sitting in the Peet's store, sipping my free cup of Lion Mountain Keemun, I decided it was time to give Sencha another try. We'll see.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #18955
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Make sure you use the right temperature water and steep it for a minute or so.

Skim Milk to go with my Everything bagel
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #18956
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Taddy Porter - to go with my home-grilled cheeseburger!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #18957
heySkippy
Groupie
heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Very cold cheap light beer.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #18958
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Ti Kwan Yin. I was all out at home, so bought some more today and had a cup. Yum. This is your basic 'Chinese restaurant tea', though a very good version of same. Perhaps the best known of all Chinese oolong teas, but still a reliable favourite.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:19 AM   #18959
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
I know the store, been there a couple of times. But you know how hard it is to get downtown from the east side. Plus if I spend any more $$ on teas my DW will have something forceful and definite to say.

So I only bought a bit of Sencha to try again. This is a tea I have never really learned to love, but I periodically give it another try as my tea tastes change over the years. I'm a big fan of China Greens, but haven't ever really learned to love Japan Greens. But as I was sitting in the Peet's store, sipping my free cup of Lion Mountain Keemun, I decided it was time to give Sencha another try. We'll see.
ah! I'm always up for an adventure!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:26 AM   #18960
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Coke Zero #1
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?