Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
clairebarri
clairebarri began at the beginning.

Device: Android Galaxy 10.1 Tablet
Saved Metadata loaded in new installation of Calibre

Hello,

I recently had to re-format my computer and thus re-load Calibre. Before I did this I made sure to back up my metadata under Lib Maintenance - lib metadata backup. When I added all my books into a fresh version of Calibre after the re-format I found that the altered metadata had not saved and I have had to go through all the books again to edit all the metadata (series, correct authors names and titles) again. I would like to know how one can save the new metadata so that this is not an issue should I have need to un-install/re-install Calibre in the future...

Thanks for any advice you can provide!
clairebarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairebarri View Post
Hello,

I recently had to re-format my computer and thus re-load Calibre. Before I did this I made sure to back up my metadata under Lib Maintenance - lib metadata backup. When I added all my books into a fresh version of Calibre after the re-format I found that the altered metadata had not saved and I have had to go through all the books again to edit all the metadata (series, correct authors names and titles) again. I would like to know how one can save the new metadata so that this is not an issue should I have need to un-install/re-install Calibre in the future...

Thanks for any advice you can provide!
1st
That feature just make sure that the metadat.opf in each folder is current (it should be normally). It does NOT modify the metadata in the book.

If you had restored the ENTIRE library folder, you would see no differences.
If you used any variation of Add Books, you have the possibility of seeing the Books (old) metadata
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Using the second option under Add Books will import all metadata from the metadata.opf together with the books, as well as making sure all books with multiple formats are correctly registered as the same book in a different format, rather than being added as duplicates.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre-add-books.png
Views:	232
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	115087  

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-12-2013 at 04:01 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:41 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I recently had to re-format my computer and thus re-load Calibre. Before I did this I made sure to back up my metadata under Lib Maintenance - lib metadata backup.
Those backup files (metadata.opf) are used to restore the database in case of database corruption.

Quote:
When I added all my books into a fresh version of Calibre after the re-format I found that the altered metadata had not saved and I have had to go through all the books again to edit all the metadata (series, correct authors names and titles) again.
Where were these books you "added" back?

In the future, backing up your entire calibre library directory saves all of your books and metadata. Restoring that directory and pointing the new install of calibre to that directory will give you all of your books and metadata exactly as it was before the reformat.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
clairebarri

Hi All,

thank you for the information, I now understand Calibre a little better for your input

@ DoctorOhh: The books had been copied from the Calibre library onto an external and were then added directly from the device once the re-install was complete.
Advert
Old 11-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@ DoctorOhh: The books had been copied from the Calibre library onto an external and were then added directly from the device once the re-install was complete.
Added back how? Did you copy the Calibre Library Folder, or do save to disk?

When you added them back, which option under Add Books did you use?
Old 11-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #7
clairebarri

I copied the Calibre Library file onto the external. I had thought I had updated the metadata through the 'metadata backup' in library maintenance before I copied the files though, so what actually happened was me copying the old data.

The other mistake I made was using the add option:
'Add books from directories, including sub-directories (Multiple books per directory, assumes every ebook file is a different book)'

I payed around with the app after the feedback from you guys, saved my library with 'save to disk' and then used 'Add books from directories, including sub-directories (One book per directory, assumes every ebook file is the same book in a different format).' to add the books from the file containing the saved ebooks.

All the editing I did to the metadata was saved and loaded properly this time! No loss of data! And with over 20 000 books, I'm rather glad about that little fact.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Glad to hear it worked out!

For future notice, the 'metadata backup' in library maintenance is a relic of past times when backing up the metadata.opf wasn't yet a nearly instantaneous process. Unless you have reason to think it is not being properly backed up, there is no longer any need to use this while running any recent version of calibre.