Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-30-2018, 06:14 PM   #1156
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
NO
an EPUB can have 1 file (for the text content), AKA Flat file (will not work on some older devices that choke if a section goes past 260K)
Conversion of some AZW3 results in these huge files.
Moddesitt loves to write 150 chapter books (and uses Roman Numerals)
And then there is James Patterson and his myriad of rather short chapters that can easily go over 100.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 04:45 PM   #1157
yonkyunior
Cultivator
yonkyunior doesn't litteryonkyunior doesn't litteryonkyunior doesn't litter

Device: PRST2
Quote:
How do you determine that??
TOC entries vary from none to every type of section.
The quality check plugin can report books with below X TOC entries (in the NCX). It does not scan the book.
lets say the fanficfare output epub,

count the epub files inside text, the xhtml.

or capture the information of chapter inside the first page of it, like Extract ISBN plugins work.

count the TOC created built in by fanficfare??

Count by text heading or search chapter and count results? maybe.

btw, i've collection of webnovel/online novel/serialnovel/fanfic which have a lot chapters,
there is from fanficfare plugin and there's not, but they have same thing, the text files inside separated per-chapters.

i've updated the file in library once/month, the file got replaced, the page count and word changed, and i do actually hope theres chapter count. for now i am doing it manual into custom column.

Last edited by yonkyunior; 05-01-2018 at 04:59 PM.
yonkyunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2018, 07:16 PM   #1158
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@yonkyunior - the original developer of the plugin, kiwidude, is no longer active. But, thanks to other PI developers, his PIs have been maintained at least to the extent that they work with the latest version of calibre. In a few cases PIs have been functionally enhanced when a developer themselves had the need or felt otherwise inclined, such as the Modify PI

Some users will hack a PI to add, change and remove functionality for their own purposes, but choose not to make their hacked versions the 'official' version.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:40 PM   #1159
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonkyunior View Post
lets say the fanficfare output epub,

count the epub files inside text, the xhtml.

or capture the information of chapter inside the first page of it, like Extract ISBN plugins work.

count the TOC created built in by fanficfare??

Count by text heading or search chapter and count results? maybe.

btw, i've collection of webnovel/online novel/serialnovel/fanfic which have a lot chapters,
there is from fanficfare plugin and there's not, but they have same thing, the text files inside separated per-chapters.

i've updated the file in library once/month, the file got replaced, the page count and word changed, and i do actually hope theres chapter count. for now i am doing it manual into custom column.
As BR said, the original developer of this plugin is not active. I have made a few changes since then, but I'm sorry, I'm just not interested in doing something like that. Getting the number of the ToC entries isn't that hard, but adding a new statistic to the plugin is a significant amount of work. It isn't something I need and I'm not convinced enough of the use case to want to do it. If someone does want to do it, I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Having said that, I have a vague memory of a plugin for extracting the ToC from books and putting them in a column. Though maybe it was in the plugin request thread and hasn't been implemented. If this has been, then it might a starting point for what you want.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:11 PM   #1160
Ma'am-I-Am
Preferred pronouns: We/Us
Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2
Is there a way to add Amazon (or other resources) from which to draw page counts?
Ma'am-I-Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2018, 10:30 PM   #1161
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'am-I-Am View Post
Is there a way to add Amazon (or other resources) from which to draw page counts?
Yes, but someone has to write code to read the site and extract the number. It isn't something I'm particularly interested in doing, but if someone is and wants some help, I'll answer any questions and add the result to the plugin.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:55 AM   #1162
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Hi, I am wondering if there was some kind of change in the way the pages are counted because recently they are coming in about 1/2 the actual page count.

I have been questioning the integrity of my books since both "AZW3" (accurate) and the ADE versions of algorythms are both telling me that books with verified counts being about half what they should be. I have been trying to match up books from various sources to try and confirm that pages aren't missing.

Any suggestions? I like to do the estimated because sometimes books have different counts per edition or version.

ADE was always spot on, but now its totally unreliable.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:19 AM   #1163
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
Hi, I am wondering if there was some kind of change in the way the pages are counted because recently they are coming in about 1/2 the actual page count.

I have been questioning the integrity of my books since both "AZW3" (accurate) and the ADE versions of algorythms are both telling me that books with verified counts being about half what they should be. I have been trying to match up books from various sources to try and confirm that pages aren't missing.

Any suggestions? I like to do the estimated because sometimes books have different counts per edition or version.

ADE was always spot on, but now its totally unreliable.
Are you saying that the plugin is calculating the ADE page count at about half of what it was before? And half of what ADE shows? Or do you mean something else?

In any case, I just checked a few books, and the page counts calculated are roughly what is shown on my Kobo devices.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:48 AM   #1164
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Did some checks too. For me it looks Ok.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:51 AM   #1165
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
Wow! Can't believe I have just found this plugin! What a help it is!
I downloaded a bunch of books before my free Kindle Unlimited subscription expired and added them to calibre converted to epub. Seems like quite a few are novelettes or short stories and I was looking for a way to determine that quickly. (Nothing more disappointing for me than to load and open a 12 page 'book'!) Also, I add empty books to track audiobooks and it identified several that I forgot to mark as audio.

Hope it continues to work in future versions of calibre. Really a useful plugin!
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:13 AM   #1166
jist
Enthusiast
jist began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Note Lite - Win10
Adding my appreciation for this plugin, and to davidfor for keeping it alive.

Actually I feel that this feature/plugin deserves to be included in Calibre by default.
jist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:26 AM   #1167
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Update to version 1.8.2 - Calibre change and translations

Version 1.8.2 has just been released. This has two changes in it:
  • Update: Changes due to refactoring of conversion for calibre 3.27.0. Handling so it is backwardly compatible.
  • Update: Updates to translations. Missed these with the last update. My apologies to the translators for completely forgetting about this.

There is no function changes, I'm just making sure I don't get lots of complaints on Friday

The update should be announced by calibre in the next hour or so. If there are any problems, please post in this thread.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:04 PM   #1168
C-novice
ReadingZealot
C-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to behold

Device: kobo ARC, Samsung Tab4
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Version 1.8.2 has just been released. This has two changes in it:
  • Update: Changes due to refactoring of conversion for calibre 3.27.0. Handling so it is backwardly compatible.
  • Update: Updates to translations. Missed these with the last update. My apologies to the translators for completely forgetting about this.

There is no function changes, I'm just making sure I don't get lots of complaints on Friday

The update should be announced by calibre in the next hour or so. If there are any problems, please post in this thread.
Is this why the Count Pages plugin icon is missing from the menu bar of Calibre since I updated to 3.27.1 today? 'umm, where is the update? Ne'er mind--think I found the zip file on pg 1 of this thread. If I'm wrong, direct me please, won't you?

The update did it. Thanks for such a great tool.

Last edited by C-novice; 07-07-2018 at 07:22 PM.
C-novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:35 PM   #1169
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-novice View Post
Is this why the Count Pages plugin icon is missing from the menu bar of Calibre since I updated to 3.27.1 today? 'umm, where is the update? Ne'er mind--think I found the zip file on pg 1 of this thread. If I'm wrong, direct me please, won't you?

The update did it. Thanks for such a great tool.
For (MR) indexed plugins (which this one is )
Preferences: Get Plugins ... : (select:Update... )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:13 AM   #1170
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
For (MR) indexed plugins (which this one is )
Preferences: Get Plugins ... : (select:Update... )
And it should appear as an available update when starting calibre.

Tags
count, count pages, page count, pages, plugin