Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #1
rmbelson
rmbelson began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Nook Glowlight 3 Calibre problems - Win 7

I use Calibre to sideload epubs onto my Nook Glowlight 3. When finished I use the Windows command to Remove Hardware, then close Calibre before I remove my usb cable. But the Nook doesn't see my books, just those on my B&N account, even when I reboot the Nook. And when I reconnect the Nook via USB and look at the Nook directories I see computer jibberage code (looks like Martian) not my folders or books. This has happened over and over again. I must have formatted my Nook 10 times by now because I can't remove those bad files via Windows. So now I use Calibre as follows -- I highlight the file I want to sideload and then use the right dropdown menu to open the containing folder and manually copy and move the files to my Nook. Annoying and slow. I never had this problem with my Nook Simple Touch. What's going on, anybody know? Thanks
RMB
rmbelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:09 PM   #2
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmbelson View Post
I use Calibre to sideload epubs onto my Nook Glowlight 3. When finished I use the Windows command to Remove Hardware, then close Calibre before I remove my usb cable. But the Nook doesn't see my books, just those on my B&N account, even when I reboot the Nook. And when I reconnect the Nook via USB and look at the Nook directories I see computer jibberage code (looks like Martian) not my folders or books. This has happened over and over again. I must have formatted my Nook 10 times by now because I can't remove those bad files via Windows. So now I use Calibre as follows -- I highlight the file I want to sideload and then use the right dropdown menu to open the containing folder and manually copy and move the files to my Nook. Annoying and slow. I never had this problem with my Nook Simple Touch. What's going on, anybody know? Thanks
RMB
Try using the Calibre device ejection and see if that cures your problem.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:36 PM   #3
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
Try using the Calibre device ejection and see if that cures your problem.

Jim
This.

Also, BEFORE unplugging the cable, watch the NOOK opening screen. If the side loaded books are flashing past in the "New & Recent in My Library" (top) part of the screen, then WAIT.

This NOOK seems to recognize ALL the side-loaded books (not just the recently added ones) as NEW files. It takes a few moments to process them. Unplugging the cable seems to interrupt this process, with the potential to corrupt the unit's memory.

(The NOOK re-recognizing these side-loaded books also deletes them from any shelves you might have previously created on the device. Grrr.)

This is based on my own observation; don't ask me why it behaves this way.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote