Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #16
20LEgend
Connoisseur
20LEgend began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
It works!!! Wallcraft, my kindle now does exactly what I want it to. Even Amazon got back to me and said it couldn't be done!
Many thanks.
20LEgend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #17
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Some experimentation may help.

I just tried a search my items for '.' and it took 40 seconds (I have 888 items)
I then searched a word that is in only three books ('sousleau', thank you Lois MacMaster Bujold) and it took 4 seconds, then both another '.' and a 'qxtt' took 1 second and 'esoteric' (63 items) took 5 seconds. Same when I opened a book and then did Home then search.

So I think once one search has been done things are much faster thereafter, at least until the Kindle's little brain is filled with other things.

Forcing a reindex may help

From KCS: {via Kindle UK discussion}
"While it is not advisable to defrag your Kindles, they can be Indexed instead. Please follow the instructions below to re-index your Kindle.

Removing the index files on the internal memory. Steps for removal -

On a Windows PC:
1. In Windows Explorer, Select Tools - Folder Options
2. In Folder Options, select the View Tab
3. In the View List, select the radio button to Show Hidden Files and Folders
4. Deselect the checkbox to Hide protected operating system files (the customer may wish to re-enable after removing the index files from the Kindle)
5. Connect the Kindle to the PC
6. Open the Kindle internal memory on the PC
7. Open the System folder on the Kindle disk
8. Open the Search Indexes folder inside the System folder
9. Select all files inside the System Indexes folder and move them to the Recycle Bin
10. Safely eject the Kindle from the PC
11. Disconnect the Kindle from the computer

On a Mac running OS X:
1. Connect the Kindle to the Mac
2. Open the Kindle internal memory on the Mac
3. Open the System folder on the Kindle disk
4. Open the Search Indexes folder inside the System folder
5. Select all files inside the System Indexes folder and move them to the Trash
6. Eject the Kindle from the Desktop
7. Disconnect the Kindle from the computer

PLEASE NOTE: Once the indexes are removed from the device, the Kindle will start re-indexing all content.

It is highly recommended the user keep the device connected to power while the Kindle re-indexes the content. Indexing of all content should complete within 24 hours, at which time the increased power usage from heavy indexing will subside.
After this point, the device should behave as expected."
----
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote