Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-08-2017, 12:59 PM   #46
Tikker
Zealot
Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy S7, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seneca View Post
Nice three pages of information, thanks to all contributors so far.

I am also looking for a nice eInk tablet or Android eReader, but with the additional constraint of supporting mobile data (e.g. 3G or 4G in addition to WLAN aka Wi-Fi)

I have looked at the mentioned Onyx and Icarus devices, but as far as I can see, these only have WLAN, not mobile data.

Basically, I am looking for a device that allows (a) reading EPub (with and without Adobe-DRM) as main function, (b) has a usable PDF viewer, preferably with note-taking, (c) sent/receive text messages (SMS) and (d) as big plus allow installing of (Android) Apps for networked calendaring (CalDAV), addressbook (CardDAV) and other things. An "open" system with regular updates and third-party Apps / available SDK is a big plus.

Does such a thing exists?

I once had (and still own) a PocketBook 603, which has Wi-Fi and mobile data.

Unfortunately it doesn't run Android and the mobile data modem isn't accessible. And it's quite old and long out of updates. EPubs still work, still one of the best free-hand notes App I have seen so far. But its browser doesn't deal well with modern websites and the battery is slowly giving up.

( Just realized: 1st post since nearly five years (Feb 4th, 2012) -- man does time run fast!)
that does not exist at all

the only thing remotely close is going to be the yotaphone 2
Tikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:40 PM   #47
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
that does not exist at all

the only thing remotely close is going to be the yotaphone 2
and this now that is coming http://www.dailytech.com/Debuted+at+...ticle39995.htm
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2017, 10:46 AM   #48
Tikker
Zealot
Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy S7, Kobo Aura
interesting, but hisense is more known for terrible tablets that are included when buying couches, around here

for the right price, I wouldn't mind checking one out tho
Tikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:00 AM   #49
Seneca
Enthusiast
Seneca began at the beginning.

Device: Zaurus-5500G, PB-903, PB-603, Tolino Vision 2
Hi Tikker,

thanks for the reply, it is what I had feared.

I haven't heard of the yotaphone so far, technologically a nice thing. Thanks for the pointer!

But I was looking for something that is explicitly not a mobile phone. In my opinion, mobile phones are the worst invention since discovery of radio waves in 1886 by Heinrich Hertz. Which isn't a fault of the technology, but of 99% percent of their owners, apparently incapable of a responsible and considerate use of the technology.

Its sad that tablets and especially eReader nowadays are almost all WiFi (WLAN) only, without mobile data (G4, LTE, ...) connection.
Anyway, I keep looking for mobile data enabled tablet with good eInk or mobile data enabled eReader (with eInk) and support for 3rd party Apps.
Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:57 PM   #50
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seneca View Post
Hi Tikker,

thanks for the reply, it is what I had feared.

I haven't heard of the yotaphone so far, technologically a nice thing. Thanks for the pointer!

But I was looking for something that is explicitly not a mobile phone. In my opinion, mobile phones are the worst invention since discovery of radio waves in 1886 by Heinrich Hertz. Which isn't a fault of the technology, but of 99% percent of their owners, apparently incapable of a responsible and considerate use of the technology.

Its sad that tablets and especially eReader nowadays are almost all WiFi (WLAN) only, without mobile data (G4, LTE, ...) connection.
Anyway, I keep looking for mobile data enabled tablet with good eInk or mobile data enabled eReader (with eInk) and support for 3rd party Apps.
The best option for you I think is to get a eink Android Eink device with otg support. Then you can attach a 4g usb otg modem to it. You might need to root the device but should be able to get all the stuff you are looking for.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2017, 04:23 AM   #51
MobileFinder
MobileFinder began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile Android Tablet with E-Ink Screen

So many Full Android Tablet with E-Ink Screen, such as the Onyx Boox and Boyue devices. The display sizes vary from 6 inches and Screens to 10 inches.
MobileFinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:52 PM   #52
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticKatDaddy View Post
I have chronic migraine so I'm not able to use a regular tablet and have a kindle with the e-ink screen. Is there an e-ink tablet that runs regular android or an e-ink reader that can be made to run regular android? I'd just like something I could use to use the facebook, twitter, and gmail apps.
What did you end up buying, and are you satisfied with your choice?

I will also need an Android tablet with e-ink or similar, as my eyes have severe problems with ordinary tablets, and I prefer keeping my whole ebook library in the FBreader app. So, I need an Android device that's preferably quick enough that it lets me look up words in a flash while reading (I go to the Oxford Dictionaries, then copy and paste the words into the Quizlet app to build my vocubulary).
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote