Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-14-2009, 10:45 AM   #31
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
HarryT -- you're quite right. I should have restricted my statement to that particular dictionary, not all dictionaries. As for pro vs. pre... That was a simple typo.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:43 AM   #32
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
I enjoyed The Professor and the Madman, though I don't think it was Winchester's best work. I was fascinated at how long the OED project took (and, like a previous poster said, that it wasn't halted at some point along the way for any number of reasons.)

Many of Winchester's books have several story lines that intersect his main focus, and he spends quite a bit of time on each of them. Personally I like the way that type of non-fiction humanizes events and puts them into a broader perspective - era, consequences, etc. With Madman, I got the feeling it made what might have been an otherwise dry story more interesting. YMMV.

I thought both Krakatoa and Crack in the Edge of the World were fantastic.
snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:12 PM   #33
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Sorta offtopic, but maybe this will be of interest to some.
Tom Gally, a lexicographer and Japanese translator, has a semi-blog about translation and dictionaries (heavily Japanese oriented). Some of the more interesting entries:
Japanese dictionary "officially pirated" by U.S. in 1942
Typos in a book criticizing dictionary mistakes
Dictionary advertisements

Complete index
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote