Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-24-2017, 11:08 PM   #1
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
Glo Ghosting Issue

Hi everyone,

Not sure how many users of the original Glo (not the HD) are still out there, but had a question about ghosting ... normally I leave it set to refresh at 3 pages. Ghosting seemed to be getting more noticeable. Also, some pages would be in a much lighter type (same font, same size, less dark text). So I changed it to every page.

That seems to be helping on books. Although there seem to still be shadows, like the bleed of pictures for a few pages after.

Ghosting on the library screens is pretty bad. They don't seem to refresh every page.

And most recently, when sideloading tonight, the screen that shows progress and connected to a computer were both very very light grey. would not have been about to read them if I didn't know what they said.

Is my screen on the way out?

or, is there something I can do to get things a bit more back to normal?
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:21 PM   #2
Telemachus
Connoisseur
Telemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: none
May I ask what firmware version you have installed?
Telemachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:07 PM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
If you haven't done it in a while, try shutting down your reader by holding the power switch for a few seconds. That might help.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:04 AM   #4
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Firmware is 3.15.0

I've cycled it on and off a few times, and I tried a basic reset (paperclip) which didn't do anything. Would like to not do a factory reset at the moment.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:14 AM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakini View Post
Firmware is 3.15.0

I've cycled it on and off a few times, and I tried a basic reset (paperclip) which didn't do anything. Would like to not do a factory reset at the moment.
Firmware 3.15.0 and 3.16.0 had severe ghosting problems on the Glo. It especially affected the menus and popup screens such as the dictionary screen.

For firmware 3.15.0 there is a way to fix it by adding the following lines to the device's configuration file ".kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf":
Code:
[FeatureSettings]
LeanAndMean=false
For firmware 3.16.0 there is no fix other than to upgrade to a newer version, such as 3.19.5761.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:35 PM   #6
dakini
not "it"

Thanks. I was nervous to do a big upgrade days before going away, on the off chance something went wrong, but in the end decided to do the upgrade ... is now on 4.3.8945 and seems somewhat better. Curious 3.15 had been on my Kobo for around 2 years without a sign of the ghosting problems, then they just showed up.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:13 AM   #7
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakini View Post
Curious 3.15 had been on my Kobo for around 2 years without a sign of the ghosting problems, then they just showed up.
That is strange, but I wonder if you might have applied the LeanAndMean=false fix to the configuration file two years ago and forgot about it? If the device recently had a problem reading the configuration file it could have created a fresh one with default settings, and if that happened the fix would have disappeared too.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:18 PM   #8
dakini
not "it"

Not sure. Could be.

In any case, about a day and a half after installing 4.3.8945 the new home screen randomly appeared. Not a fan of its layout, but it does seem crisper, so there's that at least.