Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Canada & The U.S.A. Vote • February 2013, Multiple Choice
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov 14 63.64%
Arcadian Adventures with the Idle Rich by Stephen Leacock 5 22.73%
Up From Slavery by Booker T. Washington 5 22.73%
The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway 10 45.45%
The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck 5 22.73%
Fifth Business by Robertson Davies 6 27.27%
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck 9 40.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #16
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Lolita and the Grapes of Wrath. I read both, but am curious about your opinions.

Last edited by desertblues; 02-06-2013 at 01:28 PM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #17
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I don't think Lolita needs my help in this vote, so I've voted for 3 that I would prefer reading over Lolita. Who said you can't have strategic voting in multiple choice.

I doubt the strategy will work though. We're probably still going to be reading and Lolita, and I'll still look forward to discussing it with everyone.
That was my thinking as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Wow! I didn't realise how far I was going to be set back to read Lolita. I don't think I can bring myself to pay $12 just to read this book. However, I've sourced a copy in my local library, so if this is the book we're reading, I'll duck down this Saturday and pick it up. Hopefully it's still available.
I've already put a copy on hold at the library too. The wait isn't too long.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:38 AM   #18
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I've already put a copy on hold at the library too. The wait isn't too long.
My hold came through yesterday, so I've already started Lolita.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #19
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I'm very pleased at this result. I bought the ebook last week, as I didn't have a copy and it seemed the right thing to do, whether it won or not.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #20
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I for one am absolutely shocked at the winner! I never had any idea the entire time that that book might win.

The discussion thread will be up soon.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #21
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Damn I missed it.... oh well .... what's new...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #22
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Damn I missed it.... oh well .... what's new...
We are a bit tucked away here in our book club nook, but there's always next month if you want to drop by again and join in. And if you're interested in discussing Lolita, you can join us in the discussion thread that was just started here.

Last edited by sun surfer; 02-08-2013 at 09:51 AM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote