Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
cyberbaffled
Author&Publisher
cyberbaffled began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
protecting epub files from copying & printing

Anyone know how to protect an epub file from copying and printing without having to purchase an Adobe content protection server?
cyberbaffled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbaffled View Post
Anyone know how to protect an epub file from copying and printing without having to purchase an Adobe content protection server?
Such protection requires a DRM'd ePub. So if you don't want to purchase Adobe's solution, your only other option is to develop your own encryption scheme and reader application.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2010, 02:29 AM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Not inexpensively. And furthermore you really should figure that loading enough crap onto the e-book to prevent a few people from copying and/or printing is probably going to so reduce e-book sales as to eliminate profits. A better strategy is to set a fair price (around $5-$7 for a novel, $12-$16 for basic non-ficiton, and between $25-$25 for technical non-fiction) and promote the heck out of it. Sure, you won't get rich from each copy sold, but you'll sell more copies without DRM, and the word-of-mouth when people discover you're not actively trying to make it hard to read your work will help.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:23 AM   #4
cyberbaffled
Author&Publisher

"encryption scheme" Sounds like graduate level work!
Old 03-16-2010, 01:24 AM   #5
cyberbaffled
Author&Publisher

It's as much the potential mutation of content as the potential loss of sales that troubles me.
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 03:57 AM   #6
arvinder
arvinder began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N72
protecting epub files from copying & printing

i want to secure my epub. What is the best solution for this. kindly reply who has done this by any software or applied any secutiry mechanism.
arvinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:30 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
There are only a few methods available. It all depends on what you are willing to pay and readability of the book. Basically there are two encryption schemes. One by Adobe and one by B&N. Almost or all e-readers can read the Adobe encrypted files, but only the nook (afaik) can read the B&N encrypted files. Both cost a substantial amount of money to buy the encryption software. Perhaps Apple has a third encryption for the iPad, but I do not know nor care.

Any other encryption/security measure will lead to incompatible epub files, because the reader software does not know how to handle it.

Both encryption schemes have been cracked though. Basically I would not buy a book which has DRM or is encrypted which is not removable. A lot of people are that way. There is also no lock on a paperback or hardback when I buy it. It is silly and will only harm those who want to buy and will not stop pirating.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:26 AM   #8
arvinder
arvinder began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N72
When below mentioned combined efforts are going to be released?

The announcement that Adobe and Barnes & Noble are collaborating to further standardize eBook technology is an advancement for open, interoperable eBooks. As part of this collaboration, Barnes & Noble announced it is adopting the open EPUB eBook Format, PDF and Adobe Content Server as the basis of its eBook distribution—including on nook, the Barnes & Noble eBook reader.
arvinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:35 AM   #9
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Basically this will not change matters. As soon as a new scheme will be developed, the readers must change their software. If Adobe and B&N create something new, you can bet your life that Sony and others will not be supporting that. B&N will not let them, because it means they can sell less nooks or the successor.

Actually, the scheme B&N is using now is already a collaboration between Adobe and B&N.

All this will do, is divide the market more with device-only books. I personally feel that there is to many of that already. I hate it when I cannot buy books anymore at Amazon because they only support their Kindle.

Open non-DRM books are the way. If one is interested in the book, they will buy it. If someone wants to pirate it, DRM is not going to stop them. Not as long as there are scanners and darknet. In short, DRM costs more money than it generates.

I will not buy an e-book from which I cannot strip DRM. If I buy it, I want to be able to use it as I like and read it when and where I would like. DRM is silly.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:47 AM   #10
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
The simple answer when it comes to the imposition of restrictions, Cyberbaffled, is ... don't. Very best. Neil
Attached Images

neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:10 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
It's as much the potential mutation of content< snip> that troubles me.
Post the MD5 sum on your web site to validate Original content.
Or post the individual CRC32 values (inside the EPUB).

You mihgt want to read the Intro to Baen Free Library
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #12
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That only works so long as "helpful" readers like iTunes & Calibre don't muck with the ePub file.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #13
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Or post the individual CRC32 values (inside the EPUB).
I really hope the new ePUB spec includes something like this. Preferably embedded digital signatures for individual files.

Troy
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #14
Toxaris
Wizard

I hope not... It happens way to often I have to edit the epub to remove margins and alike. Would be really bad if that is not possible anymore...
Old 07-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #15
ATimson
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I hope not... It happens way to often I have to edit the epub to remove margins and alike. Would be really bad if that is not possible anymore...
Adding the option to do digital signatures wouldn't remove your ability to do that (unless you were using a really crappy reader program that only allowed "verified" ePubs - but it'd be "broken" anyways since you couldn't read any that you made on your own and didn't sign). It would, however, prevent you from passing off the modified file as the original.