Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 03-15-2009, 10:20 PM   #31
palex481
Connoisseur
palex481 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
I think there is a place for both technologies in the world of reading. An iPhone is a good complement to a traditional e-ink reader. With either Stanza or the Kindle app, you can read the same books on both devices. The reason the iPhone is better sometimes is because when I have downtime at work, I can read on my iPhone and pass it off as checking my email should someone come by. Whereas with the Kindle, this doesn't work. I always have my iPhone, not always a reader.
palex481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:35 PM   #32
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlawBiker View Post
Personally I can't see myself ever reading on a LCD device. Maybe they'll improve the tablet computers enough but I doubt it'll happen soon.
I have to say, I read 4 books on the Jetbook when I was reviewing it. If I had to give reasons why I would prefer another device the screen itself was not high on the list. It was sharp, clear and fast.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 01:10 AM   #33
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I have to say, I read 4 books on the Jetbook when I was reviewing it. If I had to give reasons why I would prefer another device the screen itself was not high on the list. It was sharp, clear and fast.

BOb
The basic problem here is half the people or more in the discussion believe all LCD displays are the same. The name already turns them off to the display technology. Watches are LCD also but no body gets a headache from them. All LCD's are not the same.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:19 AM   #34
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given that you yourself do own an eInk device, Nate, you have just disqualified your own opinion. Many of us here - yourself and myself included - own and use devices with both types of screen. For reading, my view is the eInk devices are superior, due to the total lack of screen flicker, lack of reflectivity, and very low power consumption. For other types of activity, LCD clearly "wins out" due to the very slow refresh rate of eInk. I wouldn't want to write a letter on an eInk screen.

It's a case of using the best tool for the task at hand. I am typing this message on a device with an LCD screen.
I agree with Harry. I own both kinds. I would like to see a large screen, but not heavy, LCD based reader to read PDFs on, because of the slowness of the eink readers.
amgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:24 AM   #35
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Jetbook got slammed not because it is LCD. It got slammed because it's only 5" and the formats it support were not good enough. Still aren't (IMHO) until they get ePub and Mobipocket out there for it. But it'll still be a 5" screen.
If the Jetbook had a large screen to read PDFs on I would buy one and use that. I have a Jetbook and have read on it quite a bit, just not PDFs.
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 01:28 AM   #36
amgoforth
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I have the same issues ....
Not to disagree, but I bet you read more on an LCD then you realize. I know I was amazed when I recently started noticing how much time I spend on the internet.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:58 AM   #37
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by amgoforth View Post
Not to disagree, but I bet you read more on an LCD then you realize. I know I was amazed when I recently started noticing how much time I spend on the internet.
When I factor in how much time I spend reading BBC website and MR - my LCD useage is way higher. But I don't like reading longish articles on a flat screen LCD, and certainly feel uncomfortable reading a novel on one even if just to review. - mind you, it could be my age, and again my LCD useage has massively decreased since I left work where 12 hour shifts in front of screens was increasingly unpleasant.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:32 PM   #38
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
That.

From my perspective LCD flatly sucks for reading. I'll do it in a pinch (often grab a few pages of reading on my iPhone) but still... not even a comparison.

But I'm no purist. Something better than eInk comes out I'm there. Whatever gets the job done.
I don't like those new highly glossy LCD screens on modern laptops, and cellphones.

I use my PDA for reading. It has a transflective LCD screen and is very easy on the eyes. It both reflects and transmits light. It's not too bright and very easy to read in day light. And it most certainly isn't glossy... (I'd only see myself in it...)

The main reason I want an e-ink book is because it is cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marysart View Post
What's a Karma Whore? Seriously, just curious.

You know, I actually liked reading on my Franklin ebookman before it died on me, despite it's many major faults.
I liked the screen.
Sure, I had to angle it because of reflectiveness sometimes, but for me it was ok.
I have to mention that I have 20/20 vision though...
If I find another one used, I think I'll buy it.
And I got two, in perfect working condition
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #39
Marysart
Member Retired
Marysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Wanna sell one to me? I'm serious.

Last edited by Marysart; 03-16-2009 at 05:52 PM. Reason: to say I'm serious
Marysart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:32 PM   #40
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
Quote:

BOb
Hmm, yah maybe I just need to be educated. All I know is, I would never take my laptop to bed to read.

If they got the screen, battery and heat issues fixed I could see tablet computers taking over. Especially since they could double as a real computer. For now though I like e-ink.
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:47 PM   #41
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I've read hundreds of books on LCD, and less than one on E-Ink (I just bought my Sony Reader two hours ago). I can still read happily on LCD, but there are certain things that make E-Ink compelling to me.

1) Battery Life: I read very fast and the idea of a device that can last through multiple books is a goodness.
2) Screen Size: I can't find a 6" LCD device and while the Jetbook is close at 5" the combination of its price and format support keep it off my shortlist.
3) Daylight Reading: I want to be able to read on the porch and it's easier to find an E-Ink device that supports that than an LCD device.

For me it's not that E-Ink is better by virtue of the name, but that the features I want most are only found in E-Ink devices.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:50 PM   #42
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlawBiker View Post
Hmm, yah maybe I just need to be educated. All I know is, I would never take my laptop to bed to read.
Ok. I guess I don't see how you make the leap from Jetbook to laptop?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:13 PM   #43
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Ok. I guess I don't see how you make the leap from Jetbook to laptop?

BOb
I know I wouldn't read on my laptop in bed - but I've read more than a couple of books on my Palm TX or iPaq in bed. The backlight can be really handy when you have insomnia.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:56 AM   #44
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
*bump*

I decided to dig up this thread again becuase right now I'm currently seeing the anti-LCD bias here on MobileRead.

It's rather interesting that the bias seems to be one way. You don't see LCD supporters going to threads about a particular Eink reader and saying:

Quote:
no backlight,
no color,

completely useless as an ebook reader
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #45
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I suggested a Jetbook to someone not long ago. I'm looking forward to the PixelQi product. I'm learning.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote