Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-02-2019, 01:10 PM   #1
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Microsoft is taking back ebooks

Cory Doctorow says "Microsoft announces it will shut down ebook program and confiscate its customers' libraries."

https://boingboing.net/2019/04/02/bu...libraries.html

Maybe a bit dramatic, but the headline is accurate. Basically, Microsoft isn't making enough money from the bookstore, so they are shutting it down. That's OK so far, but they are also shutting down the DRM authentication servers. They are at least offering refunds for books purchased, but when I buy a book it is because I value the book more highly than the money I spend for it.
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:15 PM   #2
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Here's an interesting bit from the Microsoft FAQ:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4497396

Quote:
What if I purchased a book with a gift card or credit, or no longer have the original payment method linked to my account?

Refunds will be credited back to your Microsoft account for use online in Microsoft Store.
So, you get a store credit that you cannot use to buy books?
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:36 PM   #3
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
So if you changed credit card companies (canceled your original credit card), then your only option is to get a credit to the Microsoft Store? What if you don't want a credit to the Microsoft Store, since after this fiasco you'll probably never want to buy anything there again? Too bad for you, courtesy of Microsoft?

This has got to be the most poignant illustration for "if you can't remove the DRM, don't buy it" I've ever seen.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:36 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I honestly had no idea the Microsoft Store even had an "ebook" business to get out of. That probably has something to do with me having never been to the Microsoft Store, I suppose.

Wait; is that why Edge on Windows 10 annoyingly tries to open any ebooks I happen to click on?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:14 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Huh. Didn't even realize Microsoft had an ebook store. Thought they'd completely dumped ebooks after they dropped Microsoft Reader (LIT).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:02 PM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Since I never bought anything from their bookstore I will not have to stay awake at night worrying.
When I first saw this I thought it was an April Fools joke.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:28 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
This has got to be the most poignant illustration for "if you can't remove the DRM, don't buy it" I've ever seen.
Yep. Isn't DRM wonderful? About a year ago I think someone mentioned that Microsoft was selling eBooks, so I looked into it. I think the reason I didn't pursue it any further (besides the fact I'm not a big Microsoft fan) is that reading the options were pretty limited, especially for a Linux user.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:42 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
...is that why Edge on Windows 10 annoyingly tries to open any ebooks I happen to click on?
Sort of. I'm pretty sure they added ebook reading to Edge before the store was launched, though of course they did the one in anticipation of the other.

I don't mind Edge as a built in ebook reader even if the store closes. I do hope that they leave the functionality there even if they aren't selling books. Since Edge is moving to a Chromium base, I suppose there's likely a plug-in if they do drop it, but it was nice having the functionality built in.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:26 PM   #9
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
There are many good reasons for "buying a lifetime supply" of various items while you can. eBooks are one (assuming DRM removal). Ammunition is another. Incandescent light bulbs for your Easy Bake Oven. Probably lots of other examples too, but my brain is blank at the moment.

So when people come up and and either want to limit you or mockingly say, "Why do you need so much?!" there are good examples to shove in their ignorant faces.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:42 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't mind Edge as a built in ebook reader even if the store closes. I do hope that they leave the functionality there even if they aren't selling books. Since Edge is moving to a Chromium base, I suppose there's likely a plug-in if they do drop it, but it was nice having the functionality built in.
It won't bother me a bit if they leave the functionality there. While I understand that Edge is it's "own thing," I've only relatively recently moved on from Windows 7. So anything blue with that 'E' still screams Explorer to me. That's why I couldn't understand why my ebooks all had an Explorer icon! The bottom line is that I have no need of a desktop ebook reader. I only need a desktop ebook editor. It's been a very long time since I've seen an epub with anything other than a Sigil icon on a machine of mine.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:17 PM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
There are many good reasons for "buying a lifetime supply" of various items while you can. eBooks are one (assuming DRM removal). Ammunition is another. Incandescent light bulbs for your Easy Bake Oven. Probably lots of other examples too, but my brain is blank at the moment.

So when people come up and and either want to limit you or mockingly say, "Why do you need so much?!" there are good examples to shove in their ignorant faces.
Hum, a lifetime supply is either a whole lot of ammo, or not very much at all, depending on if you actually go to the range on a regular basis or just stick it in a closet. I tend to treat it like ebooks. With ammo, I stick with popular calibre, with ebooks, I stick to what I can remove the DRM on.

My first big screen ebook reader was a microsoft tablet back in 2007, before the iPads came out. Never bought any books from them though.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:40 PM   #12
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
On the other hand, if you are one of those people who only read books once (maybe a majority overall, if not on MR), and can get refunded back to your credit card (seems likely in most cases), then it might be the best deal ever.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:04 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I honestly had no idea the Microsoft Store even had an "ebook" business to get out of. That probably has something to do with me having never been to the Microsoft Store, I suppose.

Wait; is that why Edge on Windows 10 annoyingly tries to open any ebooks I happen to click on?
Actually Edge was the only way to read books purchased from Microsoft. And yes, it has native support for viewing .epub files (though it does not seem to register for this file type on iOS).

I’m sure you can change the settings on Windows 10 so Edge isn’t default app for .epub.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:52 PM   #14
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Cory Doctorow is a clown. If you want to have a personal book, buy it in a store in paper. The cheap licenses to read the text of a book on your computing devices do not entitle you for a life-long ownership.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:53 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
Cory Doctorow is a clown. If you want to have a personal book, buy it in a store in paper. The cheap licenses to read the text of a book on your computing devices do not entitle you for a life-long ownership.
Cheap license? The complaint I have is that the majority of the ebooks I purchase are not that cheap. In point, some of them have been more expensive that the paperback edition.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote