Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 01-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #166
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Maybe, but isn't IE (if that's what you're using, I forgot and am too lazy to page back) a whole lot faster?
No. It's usually pretty fast.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:17 PM   #167
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Alex, I'm getting this error when I click on "Forums" at top of home page.

Is there and extra "." at the end of the URL or am I seeing things?.

Thanks. WDE
That problem is still there when you close IE and restart it (I just tested it). It has to do with the Chat box and the way we are now loading the analytics script.

Investigating...

----

Ok, this should be fixed.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:53 PM   #168
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Whoa, I just noticed all of the ads are gone. Am I slow?
They are until Google can explain to us the cause of the loading delays.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #169
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
They are until Google can explain to us the cause of the loading delays.
You know, I almost applied to work at Google. Kind of kicking myself in the butt for that one..
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:01 PM   #170
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
It occured to me that using Internet Explorer, it sometimes takes a _long_ time to display threads. It seems that the pages are waiting until everything loads and then the entire page just 'pops' into view. This, in turn, causes IE to occasionally misplace anchored links - which is why the "go to first unread post" didn't always work for you.

The culprit, I believe, was the Quick Reply box near the bottom of the page; in particular the formatting controls (bold, italic, etc.) took a long time to initialize with IE. So what I did is to remove these controls. The quick reply box is still there, of course, and I don't believe many will miss these controls anyhow (you can always use the standard reply button to have all controls available). At least on my computer using IE, the page loading speed has improved.

Perhaps we'll make it a user option to customize the quick reply box, which would allow you to disable it completely to further increase loading speeds.

Feedback appreciated.
So the solution to the problem then is to install and use Firefox. Then these controls can be brought back since nobody would be using MSIE.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:07 PM   #171
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One plugin I use with Firefox that I rather like is Tab Mix Plus for managing tabs.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:11 PM   #172
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
IE6 in XP and IE7 in Vista.

A few months ago, when Mozilla released Firefox 3, I've tried it. But ended up uninstalling it. IE7 runs slickier, faster in my system. That, and the fact that Firefox doesn't display 100% correctly many sites that were created with only IE in mind.

Maybe it's a matter of habit, but if I have no complains, no need to change.
I've found Firefox 3.0.x displays many sites properly. It's the poorly written site that doesn't work. I have a version of Firefox 3.0.5 compiled for my processor so it runs even better then IE6 does. I've never bothered with IE7 as Firefox still blows it away.