Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-12-2024, 06:17 PM   #1
nem_mil
nem_mil began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Onyx Boox Note, Onyx Boox Nova Air
Advantages of Pocketbook?

Recently I have been to a local department store that sells Pocketbook devices and has them exhibited for customers to try them. I got the impression that the Pocketbook e-readers have a more matte screen in comparison to my Kobo Libra 2, which is more on the glossy side. I didn't have the Kobo with me to compare it on the spot, but I had the sense that the Pocketbook screen looked great and felt more like paper.

I wonder if anybody else finds this to be the case? Also, I am curious to know what are considered to be the advantages of Pocketbook over their largest competitors? Thanks!
nem_mil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 06:28 PM   #2
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
For me the biggest selling point was physical buttons. I don't like touching the screens of my ebook readers. Plus the software on the device was easier to navigate compared to the Kobo I tried.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2024, 11:59 PM   #3
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
I chose PocketBook as I wanted a device outside of the Amazon and Audible ecosystems, sideloading my ebooks and audiobooks with plenty of formats/file-type supported being critical. I can easily sideload my books via WIFI too which is incredibly convenient.

The PB devices start-up from being completely powered off within 5-6 seconds so you can avoid standby battery drain. You can manually change the durations before automated standby and power-off are triggered, or disable them completely should you wish.

The latest FW brought DarkMode (inverted) to my device which was my only real gripe previously. There's also a "light schedule" which allows the user to set the front-light brightness and warmth levels for hourly intervals over the course of a day.

Multitasking is available too if you like me enjoy listening to audiobooks or podcasts whilst playing Sudoku between bouts of reading. Or playing a little "white noise" whilst reading in a noisy coffee shop or on public transport etc. There's a simple task manager for switching quickly between active apps.

Last edited by neil_swann80; 02-13-2024 at 12:21 AM.
neil_swann80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 08:31 AM   #4
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
- Folder mode of the explorer!
- Openwith in the explorer, lets you chose to either use the internal program or an installed one.
- Some models support micro sd.
- TTS
- Multi dictionary support.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 11:37 AM   #5
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
From my point of view the main "advantage" is that it has a cloud, a send-to, and a sync between devices.

I know, it sounds like Amazon, but in addition I get buttons, a nice light device and it turns off
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2024, 08:16 AM   #6
nem_mil
nem_mil began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Onyx Boox Note, Onyx Boox Nova Air
Thanks to everyone for the reply!

Many of the things mentioned as advantages also apply to Kobo, to some degree; however, for my taste, Pocketbook's screen and the comfortable front light (which is on Kobo quite aggressive, it seems to me) are a really good selling point.

The only concern (and a really big one) I have is that the Pocketbook does not allow you to change the weight of the fonts... I wonder how well Koreader works on the devices in the lower price range? Is that a good alternative to the default app?
nem_mil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 08:24 AM   #7
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Koreader works well on my PocketBook. Easy enough to set the system to open a book with Koreader as default too.

As regards font weight, although you can't change the weight on the fly, it's easy enough to upload new fonts to the device, so you can download your preferred font in your preferred weight should you wish.
neil_swann80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 09:26 AM   #8
jospalau
Groupie
jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Ares
I find my PocketBook quicker than my Kobos. It restarts quicker than trying to change font size in the Kobo stock software for instance. It is very snappy.

I use KOReader which works pretty good.

Sent from my 22081212UG using Tapatalk
jospalau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 11:04 AM   #9
dmalinovsky
Enthusiast
dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad Color 3
KOReader can change font weight on Pocketbooks, it works with any font.
You can also achieve something similar for builtin software via custom font names.

For example, I'm using Literata font, which is freely available. Instead of using normal font, you can take medium or semibold variant and rename its file to "Literata-normal.ttf" (or something like this). The same applies for the corresponding italic font.

Then Pocketbook will use bolder version of the font as the basic one.
dmalinovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 04:36 AM   #10
VladimirS
Connoisseur
VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
- Many types of ebook / files supported.
- Fast start-up time
- Good (decent) display to look at ...
- Nice calculator app and very usable
- Photo frame app is also interesting

Happy reading to all

Last edited by VladimirS; 02-16-2024 at 04:39 AM.
VladimirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 09:22 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Without using KOReader, you cannot change the font weight on a Pocketbook That it's weakness.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 10:39 AM   #12
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Without using KOReader, you cannot change the font weight on a Pocketbook That it's weakness.
If only that were the only weakness PocketBook has. Unfortunately it has a few more. But let's not forget that all e-readers of any brand (Kindle, Kobo, Onyx Boox, Tolino...) have weaknesses if you compare them with each other because you will always find features that are not available in all of them. And those features will have more or less influence on a particular user depending on their personal preferences. You only have to read this thread to realise how different are the reasons why a particular user likes PocketBook (I would add some features that make sense to me, but possibly indifferent to other users). In the end, you choose a device for what it gives you, not so much for what it lacks. I honestly don't think that "font weight" is of much concern to PocketBook or its users. If anything, it will be more of a problem specific to a particular user using a particular font type. Users have a number of options available to them to solve this issue if they really see it as a problem.
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 06:20 AM   #13
Grins
Connoisseur
Grins began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo(s), Pocketbook(s), MacBook Pro, iPhone
I have been using Kobo for many years and was impressed by the excellent interaction with calibre, side loading, long battery life, etc.
I used the Kobo Clara and the Kobo Libra 2, among others. But the last software updates were simply catastrophically unstable. This was not due to calibre but rather due to the database error in the Kobo software (see Kobo Forum).
Since then I have been using Pocketbook (Touch HD 3, Inkpad Color 3) and I am very satisfied. The Pocketbook software is simply much more robust and I haven't had any problems since then. The only noticeable thing is that the battery life of the Pocketbooks seems to be slightly shorter than that of the Kobos.
Grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 06:28 AM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grins View Post
I have been using Kobo for many years and was impressed by the excellent interaction with calibre, side loading, long battery life, etc.
I used the Kobo Clara and the Kobo Libra 2, among others. But the last software updates were simply catastrophically unstable. This was not due to calibre but rather due to the database error in the Kobo software (see Kobo Forum).
You do know you can downgrade a Kobo to a previous firmware version, right?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 07:08 AM   #15
Grins
Connoisseur
Grins began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo(s), Pocketbook(s), MacBook Pro, iPhone
Yes I know. But it didn't work on the first try and I was just tired of it.
Grins is offline   Reply With Quote