Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-21-2023, 02:18 PM   #1
FatGuy
Groupie
FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 3
SERIOUS Help Needed: Best Open Source PDF Reader For User Privacy?

Hello everyone, I need advice. This problem has been on my mind for a very long time.

I'm just looking for the most secure and privacy friendly PDF reader for cross-platform use.

My huge worry is that the PDF reader App I'm using will "call home" to someone on the Internet and upload information on what I'm reading on the PDF reader App. It could also transmit other types of data on the particular device I'm using whether it's my PC/Mac/Android/iPad.

I've done a lot of research and it seems like these two open source PDF readers are clear standouts when it comes to user privacy and security: XPdfReader and Sumatra PDF:

https://www.xpdfreader.com/

https://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/free-pdf-reader

Thank you for any suggestions!
FatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 02:23 PM   #2
FatGuy
Groupie
FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I forgot to say that I've come down to these two choices because they're both open source Apps!
Advert
Old 02-21-2023, 02:30 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I've used Sumatra for years. No issues. But then I don't read PDF files often, and those I've read were not any kind of sensitive material.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 02:46 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
xpdf has been my primary PDF viewer for many years.

I sometimes use evince, which doesn't have as nice UI and isn't quite as cross-platform, becuase it can fill PDF forms.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 03:16 AM   #5
Kindleing
Groupie
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Kobos
It seems to me if you have a serious need to prevent your reading list from being disclosed, you need to pay attention to the whole system, not just the reader app. For example, remember a few years ago Adobe was caught uploading the titles of all ebooks on a device through their ADE app, regardless of its origin? When caught, they said it was to verify licenses, but when questioned why they were "verifying licenses" for titles outside the ADE system they backtracked and claimed it was a "bug".

There is also the issue of current operating systems like Windows 10 & 11 "telemetry" uploading inventories of user content. Supposedly this can be disabled, but I believe it is enabled by default and the settings can be levels deep and confusing.

My suggestion would be to set up a restricted operating system on a single device and use that for your private reading material. Side load everything and never let it on the Internet. You can even go so far as to physically diable the WiFi and ethernet connections. Many Panasonic Toughbook laptops have a physical switch to disable WiFi so it can't be enabled accidentally. Older laptops and tablets are available at reasonable prices; not much horsepower is needed for a reader app.

You can use a reasonably secure operating system like TAILS (Linux) on a modest laptop. Or you could start with a fresh installation of Windows or whatever you prefer, do all the updates, and then disable Internet connectivity. Then side load everything.

Modern operating systems have made this issue very difficult to resolve. Serious security is hard, and is truly inconvenient. I'm certainly no expert, but I've come to the conclusion that an air-gapped system is the only thing that approximates what you are after.
Kindleing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2023, 01:08 PM   #6
brouer
Enthusiast
brouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipedia

Device: Various Android devices
On Windows/Linux, I like Okular.
Official builds are even published to the Microsoft Store.
brouer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 05:55 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I sometimes use evince, which doesn't have as nice UI and isn't quite as cross-platform, becuase it can fill PDF forms.
I use Atril, but it's just a fork of Evince.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 01:58 PM   #8
FatGuy
Groupie

Wow, I really appreciate all of your responses!

Sorry I took so long to reply but my life has been very hectic!

I've been doing more research and it seems like Xpdf or Sumatra are the two best options for privacy and security because they're open source, however, it says here that Xpdf is closed source??? https://www.xpdfreader.com/opensource.html

I'm leaning towards Sumatra more now...
Old 03-06-2023, 02:46 PM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

XpdfReader is a closed source enhanced version of xpdf. I have no experience with it.

xpdf itself is completely open source and is my favorite PDF reader.

Is there some feature of XpdfReader that you need?
Old 03-21-2023, 06:39 PM   #10
FatGuy
Groupie

Quote:
XpdfReader is a closed source enhanced version of xpdf. I have no experience with it.

xpdf itself is completely open source and is my favorite PDF reader.

Is there some feature of XpdfReader that you need?
Thanks so much for your reply!

I don't need any particular features from XpdfReader, I just severely need a PDF reader that I can trust is looking after my privacy and security.

EDIT:
I really want to make a choice for which PDF reader I ought to use that will protect my privacy so I can make progress

Last edited by FatGuy; 03-21-2023 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2023, 06:57 PM   #11
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatGuy View Post

I don't need any particular features from XpdfReader, I just severely need a PDF reader that I can trust is looking after my privacy and security.

EDIT:
I really want to make a choice for which PDF reader I ought to use that will protect my privacy so I can make progress
Is there some reason you can't use xpdf? (As opposed to XpdfReader.)

Note that I don't use windows or mac so I can't address what would or wouldn't work for them.
Old 03-22-2023, 03:26 AM   #12
brouer
Enthusiast
brouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipedia

Device: Various Android devices
If privacy is the overriding concern, I'd pick Okular.

From KDE's privacy policy:

Some software produced by the KDE Community may include telemetry components, which provides details on the device it's running on to us. Where this functionality exists, it will always operate on an opt-in basis and be disabled by default, with the ability to change your preferences at any time.
brouer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 05:10 PM   #13
FatGuy
Groupie

Quote:
Is there some reason you can't use xpdf? (As opposed to XpdfReader.)

Note that I don't use windows or mac so I can't address what would or wouldn't work for them.

I'm just looking for a PDF reader I can trust with my personal information. I figured that open source would be the best way to go...

I sincerely hope I can find a solution to my problem because this is really holding me back from reading PDF files

Old 04-19-2023, 10:47 AM   #14
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatGuy View Post
I'm just looking for the most secure and privacy friendly PDF reader for cross-platform use.!
If your use is that sensitive, I suspect what you need to do is a wired sideload onto a device that is permanently in airplane mode.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 02:26 PM   #15
FatGuy
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
If your use is that sensitive, I suspect what you need to do is a wired sideload onto a device that is permanently in airplane mode.

Can you explain your idea a bit more? I just want to "lock down" a PDF reader so that it cannot send data back to the Internet.