Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-11-2022, 02:51 PM   #1
White_Cat
White_Cat began at the beginning.

Device: N/A
Looking for a simple e-reader with good A4-sized pdf rendering

Dear friends,

I happen to have a few DRM-free PDF files on my hard disk. Their page size is always A4.
I 'm looking for a simple portable e-book reader where I 'll be able to load these files (via a USB cable for example), so that I can comfortably read them when I go to bed.
I don't really care if it offers WI-Fi connectivity or any other complex capabilities. I need something that offers good PDF rendering, so that I can comfortably read A4-sized pdf files while being in bed.
Are you aware of any models that could offer what I 'm looking for ?

Thank you very much,
Really looking forward to your replies,
A humble White_Cat from Greece!!!
White_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 03:20 PM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
In order to be able to read A4 pdf well, you need an A4 device (13.3 inches), or A5 (~10 inches) for half page display.
There are no "simple" devices.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2022, 04:19 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
If the margins are big then KOReader installed on a 10" eInk, or native PDF reader if it autocrops. A lot of my PDFs work on my Elipsa or wife's Remarkable, both the 10" approx screens that are about 227 dpi (which despite ads doesn't include handwriting conversion and doesn't have library features of Kobo, just file browser).

But that doesn't work on ANY approx 10" device I have for magazines. They have small print and small margins compared to data sheets or text books.

Also even 10" approx is heavy compared to a magazine or 8" ereader (mostly 300 dpi). The 13" approx devices are expensive and quite heavy.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 05:23 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The 13" approx devices are expensive and quite heavy.
The long discontinued 13" Sony DPT-S1 is surprisingly light and comfortable to hold and might be available second hand. Only 150 DPI and no frontlight and PDF only, but it does have a microSD expansion slot. For most text on a 13" screen 150 DPI is adequate. Higher would be nice, but is not necessary unless there is a lot of fine print.

The 207 DPI 13" Onyx Boox Max Lumi is heavy but makes up for it by being blurry enough to look considerably worse than the SONY. It has a frontlight but that just makes the display look even worse and I am not able to read with it in a dim or dark room. The Max Lumi II is reportedly blurrier still (having to do with a layer intended to improve writing experience).
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 04:55 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I thought the Sony digital paper models are mostly only available to load with PDFs via the Sony application (Windows and maybe Mac), or maybe a sort of printer device to Windows. I was considering it, but the 150 dpi and "walled garden" put me off. I was disappointed.

So I upgraded ext screen on laptop to 23" @ 2K (Benq) and most recently 28" @4K (Samung), though the 24" 4K LG was tempting. All under £300.

Maybe in the future there will be a device with good library management, at least 220 dpi and 13" to 14" in 1.414 aspect rather than 1.33 (4:3) or 1.78 (16:9 which is pointless except for WS TV aspect video).

The 10" approx works for almost all PDF except my collections of ancient magazines, though I had to install KOReader on the Kobo Elipsa to margin Crop. The Remarkable is OK to view PDFs in organised folders, no library management and total pain to load content to compared with ANY kobo and Calibre. I got a Remarkable cheap S/H for wife to read some old novels only in PDF, it and less functional Remarkable2 are massively hyped compared to reality.
Advert
Old 07-12-2022, 12:10 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I thought about the OP title more...

ALL eink ereaders are very simple compared to any feature phone, smart phone, smart watch, tablet, Chrome Book, Mac or PC (any OS). Or setting time on car/Cooker/VHS etc.

The WiFi (or BT if it exists) is easily ignored. The Notetaking on the few models that have it is easily ignored.
Old 07-17-2022, 01:19 AM   #7
crAss
Connoisseur
crAss began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I was looking for an A4 reader for a long time unsuccessfully. In the end I got an - expensive- MS surface and with SumatraPDF I can read my electronic magazines (e.g., Economist, national geographic) and research journal papers. For everything without photographs I simply reflow on my smaller readers.
There is no inexpensive no compromise solution currently available for A4 unfortunately.

Στάλθηκε από το SM-A528B μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
crAss is offline   Reply With Quote