Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-23-2010, 03:25 AM   #16
debteb
Connoisseur
debteb doesn't litterdebteb doesn't litterdebteb doesn't litter

Device: NOOKcolor, EVO, HP Touchpad
So can someone post link of a youtube video they are able to view on NC? I guess if I can't play then maybe wortwhile calling tech support.
debteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:04 PM   #17
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I've watched several videos that play at full screen with no distortion. In that regard it's not a POS design.
Your NC is rooted so you might be using a different video viewer. Mine in not rooted.
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #18
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Your NC is rooted so you might be using a different video viewer. Mine in not rooted.

Mine is NOT rooted and I have no trouble watching YouTube either, so it is not a rooting issue.
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #19
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by leday View Post
Mine is NOT rooted and I have no trouble watching YouTube either, so it is not a rooting issue.
There is no way you can watch YouTube videos from their fullsize website since Android 2.1 does NOT support Flash. If you are watching YouTube videos it is the small, crappy ones on their mobile site.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:00 PM   #20
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
I was referring to this part of your post:

Quote:
What is the point of having video capability on the NC and using a 16:9+ screen if they only play at about 720 x 42x? At least that was what I saw in another thread. If the NC cannot play videos at fullscreen then it is a POS design as far as video goes.
Prior to rooting I was able to view videos at fullscreen with the stock videoplayer. I haven't installed a different one.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 11:26 PM   #21
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I was referring to this part of your post:

Prior to rooting I was able to view videos at fullscreen with the stock videoplayer. I haven't installed a different one.
Again same here. I still have not rooted anc still view at fullscreen too? Iam stillnot seeing anything "crappy" or "small". I can only tell you wnat I see....
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:19 AM   #22
s52m3
Enthusiast
s52m3 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Someone pease link to a video that works.
s52m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #23
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by s52m3 View Post
Someone pease link to a video that works.
Yes, please! I would like to find one that actually works. I suspect the NC is extremely picky on the codices and settings. The only thing I've found is the YouTube mobile site and those are CRAPPY--slow, pixelated, small sized.

And if you read the manual some of the formats supported can only be a maximum of 8xx pixels wide, and for other formats there is nothing SPECed. From reading many threads it seems other formats allow a maximum of only 720 pixels wide. The screen is large enough to show 1024 x 576 in 16:9 format. However, if you have to stretch (or zoom) a 720 x 405 (16:9 format) video out to 1024 x 576 you are watching a video with 291,600px stretched to twice the size at 589,824px. It might not make a hoot to some of you, but to me that is like watching analog TV stretched out to HD TV size. It will look like an inferior quality video. That is, it is interpolated and is using about half the resolution the screen is capable of using.

Or perhaps a better analogy is when DVDs first became popular and movies that had originally been released in VHS format were merely copied onto DVDs. You basically got a VHS low quality video that did not degrade with each viewing. It looked like crap and it was crap. Whenever you compared those VHF to DVD movies with the ones that were formatted especially for the new DVDs, the difference was like night and day.

If you want to see a demo of this in action, find a decent quality 720 x 405 video and play it on you computer at 100% size. Now increase the zoom to 200% and watch it again. That 200% viewing is about what you are going to get on the NC in fullscreen if you view the 720 x 405 video on it. The quality is definitely degraded at 200% zoom and sharp details will disappear.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-24-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:56 PM   #24
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We have a thread devoted to video issues and advice on how to enjoy high quality video output the device is capable of (as stock).

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=107571

Many of us are watching full screen videos using the stock video player with no degradation in quality.

Last edited by SCION; 12-24-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:20 PM   #25
jswinden
Nameless Being

@scion, I read through all the posts (over a 100) and see absolutely no reference to anyone getting a video wider than 854 pixels to play. So even though I eventually got an 854px x 480px video to play full screen, the video is zoomed about 143% which equals loss of detail.

@everyone, Here is a personal video I shot last February during the worst snowstorm I've ever seen in Texas. The quality of the videography sucks because I shot it with a handheld dSLR camera while trying not to fall on the ice. The video was shot in full HD 1920px x 1080px at 24fps. I used Handbrake to convert it to an 854px x 480px MP4. The NC flat refuses to show a video with 1024px wdth no matter what I do. The difference in watching this video on the NC zoomed and watching a true 1024px x 576px video is great. The NC basically degrades video in order to show fullscreen. If this is an Android thing then Android sucks even worse than i thought. Hey Google, can you at least spell TABLET you freaking idiots! Enough with the small screen smartphone crap adapted to larger screens!

http://w5jck.com/NOOKcolor/Snowmegeddon-2010.mp4

Old 12-24-2010, 02:27 PM   #26
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
@scion, I read through all the posts (over a 100) and see absolutely no reference to anyone getting a video wider than 854 pixels to play. So even though I eventually got an 854px x 480px video to play full screen, the video is zoomed about 143% which equals loss of detail.

@everyone, Here is a personal video I shot last February during the worst snowstorm I've ever seen in Texas. The quality of the videography sucks because I shot it with a handheld dSLR camera while trying not to fall on the ice. The video was shot in full HD 1920px x 1080px at 24fps. I used Handbrake to convert it to an 854px x 480px MP4. The NC flat refuses to show a video with 1024px wdth no matter what I do. The difference in watching this video on the NC zoomed and watching a true 1024px x 576px video is great. The NC basically degrades video in order to show fullscreen. If this is an Android thing then Android sucks even worse than i thought. Hey Google, can you at least spell TABLET you freaking idiots! Enough with the small screen smartphone crap adapted to larger screens!

http://w5jck.com/NOOKcolor/Snowmegeddon-2010.mp4

So, to you, this video is poor quality because it's not a true 1024 width?:

http://www.mediafire.com/?h4afcqnxieo9dnv

Did you gasp with shocking disappointment when you viewed this? I doubt others will say Android sucks for video viewing, and specifically the NOOKcolor with a price of $250.

This is my first Android device, so I'm not on the Android bandwagon by any means. My phone is Windows Mobile 6.5.

Last edited by SCION; 12-24-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:54 PM   #27
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm a perfectionists and I do notice the degraded quality. Being a pretty fair amateur photographer, I can see detail that perhaps others don't. Off topic, but I also get rather upset when many of my U-Verse channels are only letterboxed, widescreen versions of shows originally produced for standard TV resolution. They merely interpolate the frames out to HD (1920 x 1080) and it looks like very old film that is about to deteriorate. So yes, it does make a difference and yes it matters to me that a device with a 1024px x 600px screen, a gorgeous screen BTW, cannot show videos in that actual size. I realize it is most likely a limitation of Android, and not a NC thing. But it also urks me that we have to convert nearly all videos just so they will play at all. We seldom have to do that for Windows or Mac computers, but almost every smaller device whether a smartphone, iPod/iPhone, Android tablet, etc. requires this. To me that is a huge gaping hole in any OS be it iOS4, Android, WebOS, etc.

Be that as it may, I love my NC, flaws and all! But the video experience definitely can be made much better all around, and I hope B&N does make it better.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:56 PM   #28
SCION
Séduisant

I understand your point of view, and it's a valid one.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:18 PM   #29
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Jack, I hear what you're saying, too. The handheld devices and their software just aren't quite there yet. Give it another couple of years things should come around a bit.

The biggest problem that I have with all these handheld devices is a bit more fundamental. I want it to fit in my pocket, but I also want a screen the size of the NC (or better) so the device is actually usable. We're a good bit off from holographic technology, so for now I'm going to have to go back to parachute pants with giant pockets.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:21 PM   #30
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
... We're a good bit off from holographic technology, so for now I'm going to have to go back to parachute pants with giant pockets.
fashion faux pas