Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 12-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #16
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
It is easy - always use latest one
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #17
entodoays
Zealot
entodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1
So, I followed the recommended procedure:

1. Flash Disable-all
2. Flash restore set sd (requires an sd card but works like a charm and shows "Updating" and at the end "Please reset manually"
3. I tested my PRS-T1 briefly and everything seemed to be working properly. The unit became faster and the hanging problems gone. However the test was not exhaustive so I cannot be sure.
4. I did a factory reset, copied the "Sony Reader" folder back to my Reader and the problems returned!
So I reflashed the restore set. Problems remained.

My conclusion: there must be something wrong in the "Sony Reader" folder.
SO: I deleted the Database folder and now I'm testing to see if the situation is resolved or not. Will report back soon.
entodoays is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #18
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
I am interested in your conclusions, as my T1 is acting up, too, when trying to use the dictionary.

I had it rooted for a while, but unrooted it again. It always was stable. Then I installed the "June" reader (non-rooted version), which works great, but after a while the device became shaky. But there can be so many reasons for this, so I would not bet on June reader being the culprit. (Might be badly formatted books as well, or a damaged file system).

I might try going back to the stock reader and watch it for a while.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:05 AM   #19
entodoays
Zealot
entodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enough

Unfortunately, deleting the database folder did not help: I'm still experiencing the same problems.

I suspect my Reader has been hacked somehow and there's malware somewhere not touched by the rooting and restore packages. Kernel? Boot?

I even upgraded to the latest Sony firmware 1.0.05 and the problem persists.

At the moment I have an unrooted Reader with the latest Sony firmware with problems.

Any ideas? Is it possible to connect to the unrooted reader through recovery console?

What diagnostic steps would you recommend?

Thanks.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #20
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

entodoays

Most likely you have a bad book, may be several - deleting database has nothing to do with it. Scanner service either hangs or loops indefinably sending error to log and that explains the behavior. We have seen all of this many times

I suggest taking a look at your books...
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #21
entodoays
Zealot

What is a "bad book"? Is it one that Media scanner doesn't recognise, the ones for which it creates a book thumbnail?
Or do you mean something else?
Can you please give hints on what a "bad book" is?

Last edited by entodoays; 12-19-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #22
entodoays
Zealot

So I tried removing all suspicious books, large ones, books with many internal links, pdf's. one not recognised pdf (that when opened gives "invalid page" error) and so far the situation seems improved but I would have to test further to be sure.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks a million Rupor.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #23
rupor
meat popsicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by entodoays View Post
What is a "bad book"? Is it one that Media scanner doesn't recognize, the ones for which it creates a book thumbnail?
Or do you mean something else?
Can you please give hints on what a "bad book" is?
I have no idea what Sony (and Adobe) considers to be bad. I just know that sometimes software misbehaves - corrupted PDF, corrupted or difficult to parse) epub files, etc.

This is especially true with some Calibre converted books which people download from the internet - MOBI's converted to EPUB's are notorious for that...
Old 12-20-2012, 04:12 AM   #24
entodoays
Zealot

OK. I removed most of my books but the problem remains. The problem might be related to Calibre. I rely on it to convert personal documents to read on the Reader. I cannot find any other software which does the same job.

Furthermore, the online conversion services use Calibre too. So I'm sort of stuck.
One possible but ugly solution that came to mind is to root my unit, put all the Calibre epubs in a folder with a .nomedia file to avoid them being scanned by mediascanner, then use Coolreader to read these files.

Any other ideas?
Old 12-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #25
dedgod
Enthusiast
dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kindle PW2
I have a similar problem. When I select a word to look it up in the dictionary, it works ok for a couple times, but after that, it starts by showing the select options, but pauses for about a minute before opening the dictionary definition. Sometimes the definition is gibberish, or the option to "Force close" or "Wait" comes up. Mine seems to be a memory leak. After a reset, it works well.

I have tried numerous restores, factory resets etc. and thought they fixed it, but after a few tries, it does it again.

I think it is in the dictionary itself, because I once tried to open the dictionary from outside a book and it did the same thing.

Mine started having problems after I installed Modified Reader by morkl.
dedgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:13 AM   #26
entodoays
Zealot

I'm currently running my PRS-T1 unrooted. My problem seems associated with epub's created by Calibre. The dictionary seems to go berserk when I use it in a Calibre generated book. I'm not sure of this but there seems to be an association.
Maybe, one of the recent updates to Calibre caused some incompatibility of the epub format with the PRS-T1 Reader.
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any good alternative to Calibre for ebook creation.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #27
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by entodoays View Post
I'm currently running my PRS-T1 unrooted. My problem seems associated with epub's created by Calibre. The dictionary seems to go berserk when I use it in a Calibre generated book. I'm not sure of this but there seems to be an association.
Maybe, one of the recent updates to Calibre caused some incompatibility of the epub format with the PRS-T1 Reader.
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any good alternative to Calibre for ebook creation.
If you think you've uncovered a calibre problem then why not post a query in the calibre forum, kovidgoyal is pretty good at dealing with genuine bugs...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #28
entodoays
Zealot

I've just done that here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2349856
Old 12-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #29
entodoays
Zealot

Kovid Goyal does not believe it is a problem with Calibre created books.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #30
rupor
meat popsicle

I guess the first step would be to actually determine what book(s) causes the issues, right? Than it would be possible to easily reproduce it and may be debug/look for workaround. Simply claiming the problem without giving an EXACT details and a way to repro rarely helps...

Last edited by rupor; 12-20-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Tags
amr, hanging, prst1, sony