Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-28-2018, 12:51 PM   #1
Victor Sh.
Victor Sh. began at the beginning.

Device: Aqua 2
Pocketbook Aqua2 problems. Please help.

Hello fellow readers. I've bought Pocketbook Aqua 2(Model PB641) and so far it brought nothing but disappointment for me. I'm borderline considering getting a refund. The only thing going for it is form factor. It fits perfectly in the pocket I've intended to place it in. Anyway, I was hoping some of my questions may be answered here. I've done a google search and so far have not found answers to these questions/problems sorted from least problematic:

1. A minor thing, but I would really like to import some bookmarks into the browser can that be done at all?

2. I wanted to remove logo screen. I've tried to create a simple white screen sized .BMP file and put it onto device under /system/logo and set it in settings to be new logo. But it still shows the default one. I've tried other logo options and not random nor book cover work. It still shows default screen about Aqua 2 and it's features.

3. I sometimes read articles online and I would not like to lose my progress when I need to put the device into my pocket. Obviously I don't want to have unnecessary touch enabled whilst the device is in my pocket. Since there is no option in settings to have device restore browser page and place when returning from power off, like the option for books, my only reasonable choice is sleep mode. Which I found is enabled by double taping on power button. But after several minutes(about 5-10) my device resets to main menu if it's in sleep mode and disables said mode. I have all power saving features turned off.

So if anyone can help with at least some of these problems, please do so.

P.S. The device did a firmware update the moment I turned it on, so it's on latest(I hope) version U641.5.17.971. Software update says it is latest.
Victor Sh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:55 AM   #2
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Sh. View Post
1. A minor thing, but I would really like to import some bookmarks into the browser can that be done at all?
Check out /system/config/bookmarks.xbel

Quote:
2. I wanted to remove logo screen. I've tried to create a simple white screen sized .BMP file and put it onto device under /system/logo and set it in settings to be new logo. But it still shows the default one. I've tried other logo options and not random nor book cover work. It still shows default screen about Aqua 2 and it's features.
When you select "logo" or "random", then it displays the logo, but when you select the book, it should show the cover of the last book that was opened. Does for me (I have bought and fiddled with a Pocketbook Aqua 2 and then I gave it away).

Quote:
3. I sometimes read articles online and I would not like to lose my progress when I need to put the device into my pocket. Obviously I don't want to have unnecessary touch enabled whilst the device is in my pocket. Since there is no option in settings to have device restore browser page and place when returning from power off, like the option for books, my only reasonable choice is sleep mode. Which I found is enabled by double taping on power button. But after several minutes(about 5-10) my device resets to main menu if it's in sleep mode and disables said mode. I have all power saving features turned off.
In my assessment, the webbrowser is too minimal to be properly usable. It does not even zoom the text or scroll by Back and Forward keys. I generally stay away from the webbrowser.

The screen can be locked without shutdown. But I expect this to have bad effects on the webbrowser and the wifi connection, probably will close them (I have not tested this point specifically).

A Pocketbook ereader is no good for webbrowsing. If you bought it mainly for that, you are out of luck.

Pocketbook is okay for reading epub and pdf files. To make it even better at that, you can install Koreader and Cool Reader3 (the latter only does epub, the former does epub, pdf, and some other formats). To install those apps you don't even need to root or jailbreak the device the way you have to with Kindle or Kobo.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:48 AM   #3
Victor Sh.

Thank you, for your answers. Reading online was not my main reason, but certainly one of uses I intended it for. I will be using it for epubs as well. (I'll try out your suggested applications to see what suits me best)

If one can install other reading applications, is it the case for browsers also? Quite possibly I just need another browser. And I think they updated it as mine does scroll with buttons.

As for screen lock, as I've said it does lock. It shows the lock with zzz text on power button double press. But after about five minutes it unlocks self and resets to main menu.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:52 AM   #4
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Quote:

I have the Touch HD - on that I configured an image, saved it to the pictures folder on the reader, then selected the image using the Gallery app, long hold the image in the centre to get a menu option in the top right and selected to save as power-off logo.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:01 PM   #5
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If one can install other reading applications, is it the case for browsers also?
The other browser would have to be specifically built or modified for Pocketbook. Koreader and Cool Reader are available on this forum. Maybe we can find a browser too, if we search hard enough. I haven't found it.

Quote:
As for screen lock, as I've said it does lock. It shows the lock with zzz text on power button double press. But after about five minutes it unlocks self and resets to main menu.
Is wifi on or off when the screen is locked?
Old 01-29-2018, 03:57 PM   #6
Victor Sh.

Thanks to everyone 2 problems down 1 to go. There is hope for this device yet. I think for the last problem I will just buy a case so nothing is pressed while in a pocket and turn off all power saving options. But, if someone does know why the heck my sleep mode auto disables every 5-10 min, I'd be glad to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
I have the Touch HD - on that I configured an image, saved it to the pictures folder on the reader, then selected the image using the Gallery app, long hold the image in the centre to get a menu option in the top right and selected to save as power-off logo.
Thank you, that worked perfectly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
Is wifi on or off when the screen is locked?
I don't turn it off by hand, so I assume it is on, but I don't mind if it turned the module off while in locked mode. I don't need it to run anything in the background while locked, just not to lose page and, preferably, scroll position on said page.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:19 AM   #7
mobama
Evangelist

Quote:
I don't turn it off by hand, so I assume it is on, but I don't mind if it turned the module off while in locked mode. I don't need it to run anything in the background while locked, just not to lose page and, preferably, scroll position on said page.
Yes, I meant if the wifi is turned on when you lock the screen.

So you expect the webbrowser page to stay nicely put across screenlocks. Not a too unreasonable wish, but the browser is erratic even for general purposes, so I personally don't expect niceties.

Just now I did a test on Touch HD:
1. Open up the webbrowser and go to a heavy page
2. Navigate to the middle
3. Lock the screen and soon unlock
Result: Still on the same spot in the webbrowser
4. Lock the screen, do nothing for 5 minutes and then unlock
Result: Same.

My autoshutdown time is 20 minutes and it really shuts down in 20 minutes, not less. Maybe that makes a difference. Or maybe that it's Touch HD, not Aqua 2.

I bought an Aqua 2 as a gift to someone who likes to do some reading in bath...

Tags
aqua2