Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-05-2016, 02:33 PM   #61
Staphoent
Connoisseur
Staphoent began at the beginning.

Device: PW3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Do a long list ('ls -l ./luajit') and copy&paste here into a pair of 'code' tags (use the 'advanced' editor).
its suddently out of nowhere without me chaning anythign as far as i can see, started working lol

Does anybody know if theres a setting within the kvncviewer.lua file to enable 'inverted colours'?

regards
Staphoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:49 PM   #62
abasba
abasba began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Anyone got a kual script that makes things easy?
I dont want to mess with ssh, telnet or usbnetwork
abasba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:24 AM   #63
N46AN
N46AN began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staphoent View Post
I have finally got this thing working on the pw3
Hi. Can you share how did you get over the "undeclared or implicit tag 'mxcfb_update_marker_data'" problem as described in #48? I've encountered the same problem on a KPW3 and have been unable to get through it.
Thanks!

Last edited by N46AN; 07-22-2016 at 02:30 AM.
N46AN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:50 AM   #64
N46AN
N46AN began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by N46AN View Post
Hi. Can you share how did you get over the "undeclared or implicit tag 'mxcfb_update_marker_data'" problem as described in #48? I've encountered the same problem on a KPW3 and have been unable to get through it.
Thanks!
I have finally got it working on the Kindle PW3. Although I do not have a programming background, I've worked out a solution by WAG

1. Apply the fix in #47 (Disable model autodetection, always use carta_mxc_wait_for_update_complete)

2. Edit ffi/mxcfb_kindle_h.lua and add definition for mxcfb_update_marker_data
Code:
struct mxcfb_update_marker_data {
  unsigned int update_marker;
  unsigned int collision_test;
};
(https://github.com/koreader/koreader...b_kindle_h.lua)

3. Edit ffi/framebuffer_linux.lua in function kindle_carta_mxc_wait_for_update_complete(fb)
Change the ffi.C.MXCFB_WAIT_FOR_UPDATE_COMPLETE in return() to 0xc008462f
So that it looks like:
Code:
	return ffi.C.ioctl(fb.fd,  0xc008462f, carta_update_marker)
It should work on Kindle PW3 after the above changes.

Last edited by N46AN; 07-22-2016 at 05:18 AM.
N46AN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 01:09 PM   #65
philip_goule
Enthusiast
philip_goule began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I used some spare time to hack a bit on the VNC viewer I published here before, KindleVNCviewer (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150434).

It is a major rework. It's not tested on Kindle 2, 3, DX, but it hopefully still works on those devices. It is however tested on Kindle PW1 and will probably run on K4, K5 (KT), KPW1 and KPW2. Also, a version for Kobos is available (announced in the Kobo developer forum). Thus, I decided a slight rename: It is now known as "kvncviewer" :-)

Source code is available on github in the old place: http://github.com/hwhw/kindlevncviewer

As it is a major redesign, I opened this new thread. For some scenarios, people might want to continue to use the old code.

The new code brings some new options. It is written in Lua, and that I took a bit further than with the old codebase, which used Lua for configuration, too. The new code is implemented using LuaJIT. It re-uses the framebuffer code from Koreader and is quite versatile. It allows for rotation options, b&w dithering on all devices, configurable refresh timeouts (though this won't make your screen faster than the hardware can do, but you might want to fiddle with the options and report your experiences here) and some more things I forgot about.

Attached is the compiled version for Kindles.
Could you please show me how to install this vnc to kindle,thanks!!!
philip_goule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 01:10 PM   #66
philip_goule
Enthusiast
philip_goule began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite2
Could you please show me how to install this vnc to kindle,thanks!!!
philip_goule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:17 AM   #67
phoenix512
Enthusiast
phoenix512 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PW2
I read all the post in this thread. However I could not find any instruction from scratch. I really need to run this trick. I have PW2, jailbrocken, with KUAL installed.
The instruction says, you have to unzip the folder into root. OK, but what about the rest? Where should I enter the command for initiating the connection!? I use windows 10.
I have sensitivity to LED lights and this is my only chance to make my eyes relax. Please help
phoenix512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:41 AM   #68
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
This will not help you.
The frontlight of your PW-2 also uses LED lights.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:07 PM   #69
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix512 View Post
I read all the post in this thread. However I could not find any instruction from scratch. I really need to run this trick. I have PW2, jailbrocken, with KUAL installed.
The instruction says, you have to unzip the folder into root. OK, but what about the rest? Where should I enter the command for initiating the connection!? I use windows 10.
I have sensitivity to LED lights and this is my only chance to make my eyes relax. Please help
Your only choice to avoid LED lights is to buy a basic kindle.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:26 AM   #70
phoenix512
Enthusiast

Quote:
This will not help you.
The frontlight of your PW-2 also uses LED lights.
This would definitely help me. I do not turn on LED on Kindle. However, If I do, it doesn't bother me. The backlight technology used in monitors is quit different from frontlight in kindle.
I can read with my kindle for hours.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:51 AM   #71
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This would definitely help me. I do not turn on LED on Kindle. However, If I do, it doesn't bother me. The backlight technology used in monitors is quit different from frontlight in kindle.
I can read with my kindle for hours.
No fair.

You are basing your response on information you failed to provide in your original post.

My crystal ball has been off-line for a long time, I can not channel into your mind, I can only respond to what you write.

= = = =

You post that you have read this entire thread, but do not mention if you have read any of the references.
Things like the directions:
https://github.com/hwhw/kindlevncviewer

A copy of which is hidden in the release zip archive, using the filename: "README".

Last edited by knc1; 06-23-2017 at 05:00 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:16 PM   #72
phoenix512
Enthusiast

Quote:
No fair.

You are basing your response on information you failed to provide in your original post.

My crystal ball has been off-line for a long time, I can not channel into your mind, I can only respond to what you write.

= = = =

You post that you have read this entire thread, but do not mention if you have read any of the references.
Things like the directions:
https://github.com/hwhw/kindlevncviewer

A copy of which is hidden in the release zip archive, using the filename: "README".
With all the respect, but I think you need no crystal ball to know that kindle is much easier on eyes. In fact, that is one of the main reasons it was manufactured at the beginning. And anyone can guess that the reason I want to use my kindle as a monitor is that I have already used my kindle and it's been OK.

I have already read the README file. But I failed to see any clear instruction at least for windows users. It seems this is for Linux/GNU.

However, some windows user claimed that they applied the trick and I wonder how.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:24 PM   #73
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
With all the respect, but I think you need no crystal ball to know that kindle is much easier on eyes. In fact, that is one of the main reasons it was manufactured at the beginning. And anyone can guess that the reason I want to use my kindle as a monitor is that I have already used my kindle and it's been OK.

I have already read the README file. But I failed to see any clear instruction at least for windows users. It seems this is for Linux/GNU.

However, some windows user claimed that they applied the trick and I wonder how.
See the thread title:
Kindle VNC viewer
This is the viewer, it installs on the Kindle, and yes, the Kindle is running gnu/Linux.

The Windows (or other machine you want to watch) must have a VNC server installed.
The directions to install that are included with whatever VNC server you choose to install.

VNC (Virtual Network Computing) is a 'standard' and has been around since the late 20th. century.
Google or your favorite web search engine can tell you more than you probably want to know about it (and answer your questions on how to get a VNC server running on your Window machine).

Last edited by knc1; 06-24-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:10 AM   #74
phoenix512
Enthusiast

Quote:
See the thread title:
Kindle VNC viewer
This is the viewer, it installs on the Kindle, and yes, the Kindle is running gnu/Linux.

The Windows (or other machine you want to watch) must have a VNC server installed.
The directions to install that are included with whatever VNC server you choose to install.

VNC (Virtual Network Computing) is a 'standard' and has been around since the late 20th. century.
Google or your favorite web search engine can tell you more than you probably want to know about it (and answer your questions on how to get a VNC server running on your Window machine).
Thanks. I installed VNC server from realvnc.com. But how should I connect to the server from kindle? I have installed other apps like Koreader. They have a extension in KUAL so you can run them. But in this case, there is no KUAL extention. It is said to just copy the kvncviewer folder into the root. Should I install some other app?
Old 06-25-2017, 05:59 AM   #75
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
There is a README in the archive.
Read it.
Then:
1) extract the archive on your kindle
2) install KTerm
3) open it from KUAL
4) cd <folder_where_you_extracted_the_archive>
5) ./luajit vncviewer.lua <ip_of_your_vnc_server>:<port_of_your_server>
encol is offline   Reply With Quote