Notices

Old 07-09-2021, 05:15 AM   #1
redlob
Connoisseur
redlob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura H2O edition 2, Kobo Libra 2
Calibre crashes a lot when sending books to Kobo

Hi Guys,

Long time Calibre user here (currently on Mac Big Sur) and have been using different Kobo devices in the past.

Now using a Kobo Aura H2O 2nd edition for the last few years and syncing has always been great.

Recently, when I try to send books to my device, calibre crashes a lot. First I thought it had to do with maybe some weird stuff in de ePubs, so I ran the book editor, did some cleaning up and everything was well again.

But now, even after cleanup Calibre will crashing when sending books to the device. Not always, but definitely a lot more than before.

I've been on a MacBook Air M1 for a few months now and I can't recall that syncing was this problematic when I first got it. It seems to have gotten worse in the last few weeks.

Anyone experiencing the same?

Edit: Just tried to send 2 books at the same time and Calibre crashed. Then I tried to send the books one by one and it worked fine... so strange....

Crash log: here

Last edited by redlob; 07-09-2021 at 05:23 AM.
redlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:19 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Are you using the kobotouch extended plugin, IIRC that does a bunch of parallel processing that might be the cause.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2021, 01:19 PM   #3
redlob
Connoisseur
redlob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura H2O edition 2, Kobo Libra 2
Yes I am. And indeed, when I use the regular kobotouch driver all is well. I'll make a note of this in the kobotouchextended-thread. Thanks!
redlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 01:24 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlob View Post
Yes I am. And indeed, when I use the regular kobotouch driver all is well. I'll make a note of this in the kobotouchextended-thread. Thanks!
There is a new version (3.5.1) of the KoboTouchExtended driver which limits the number of threads. If calibre hasn't informed you of a new plugin, try installing it manually from the first message in the Kobo Touch Extended Driver thread.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 10:07 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
There is a new version (3.5.1) of the KoboTouchExtended driver which limits the number of threads. If calibre hasn't informed you of a new plugin, try installing it manually from the first message in the Kobo Touch Extended Driver thread.
For some reason that version hasn't been picked up by calibre. Other updated plugins have been, so it is something about this one. I remember it happening before, but, I don't remember the solution.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2021, 07:42 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
For some reason that version hasn't been picked up by calibre. Other updated plugins have been, so it is something about this one. I remember it happening before, but, I don't remember the solution.
Guessing: it could be the indirection when version is set in plugin.../device/driver.py. I looked at the plugin update check code and it does its processing using abstract syntax trees, not compiled code. It isn't clear what the code does, but it seems to save {'version': xxx} where xxx is what it finds in the main plugin class. In this case a reference to a global, not a tuple.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:13 PM   #7
anesthezea
Groupie
anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2
Did you ever resolve this issue? I'm having the same problem with my Kobo and Calibre. I'm also on an M1 Macbook.
anesthezea is offline   Reply With Quote