Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-14-2022, 04:45 AM   #1
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Are there 10 inch ereaders with good text sharpness?

Recently, I bought a Max Lumi 1 to try out a bigger screen. I'm quite happy with my Nova 3, but would prefer a bigger screen both for reading normal e-books and for complementing that with comics (/manga), PDFs and maybe split screen reading for language learning (have a book and its translation open at the same time).

The Lumi is the perfect size. Unfortunately, the PPI at 207 has the text looking blurry, which makes it impossible for me to read. My eyes get tired trying to focus on the washed out letters. I'll therefore have to return it.

I'm considering buying a 10 inch reader in its stead. They have a PPI of 226. Would that be enough of an improvement to make for a comfortable reading experience?

Does anyone have any experience comparing a 13" to a 10"?

I'd be happy to hear your experience using a 10" reader for reading and any recommendations for which actual reader to get. I'd prefer one using Android, but that seems out of the question at the moment (Note Air 2 is using a pre-applied screen protector that seems to lower the contrast). Maybe the Kobo Elipsa?
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:03 PM   #2
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
I'm surprised text is blurry at 207 PPI, but I've never used larger e-ink tablets to know. I'd be feeling nervous about the possibility 10% better resolution won't make a significant difference.

The Elipsa is kind of a failed device. Most people buying a 10 inch or larger e-ink tablet want note taking functionality as a primary feature and the Elipsa isn't competitive. And if you're going to make the Elipsa all about the ereading experience, not giving it a comfort light makes it arguably worse than it's competition along that dimension, too.

As much as it sounds like I'm trashing the Elipsa, the above factors actually make it an attractive option on the used market. I've seen them available at half their new price; at that price point it becomes a much better value proposition. I think I'll end up with one, eventually.
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:17 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I think it is the surface screen layer causing the blurriness. I recently bought a Max Lumi 1 and am disappointed at the blurrines. (I specifically avoided the Max Lumi 2 because of a video review showing increased glare compared to the Lumi 1.) I have had for some years a 9.7" kindle DXG, a 9.7" Onyx m92 and a 13" Sony DPT-S1, all 150dpi. Text looks fine to me on all those 150dpi devices.

I was looking forward to the (slightly) higher dpi and even more to the frontlight. I'm disppointed by the blurriness in ambient light and with the frontlight on. Glare is also worse than I have come to expect from e-ink.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:28 PM   #4
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
My Elipsa is arrived today: with 227 ppi and a 10.3" screen the text is very clear.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:30 PM   #5
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am also surprised at the blurriness. I was expecting the possibility of slight pixelation of text, as the PPI is lower than my other devices (300PPI and 270-280 on my A5 Pro), but not the blurriness. It almost makes my eyes water reading for a long time.

It could be either the flush glass screen or the way fonts are rendered that in combination with the lower PPI leads to this effect.

The question then is if Note Air 2 is any better in this regard?

The thing is that low PPI in and of itself, as j.p.s. rightly points out, isn't a big obstacle for reading. I read on my Kindle 2 for years. It has horrible contrast and low PPI with clear pixels showing, but fantastic sharpness - no touch layer, no frontlight, no flush glass screen, etc.

I would prefer to buy an Android device, which would allow me to use all my dictionary software and sync my book collection seamlessly between my devices. But if the Note Air 2 screen is also bad, there'd be no point in getting it.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:37 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post

It could be either the flush glass screen or the way fonts are rendered that in combination with the lower PPI leads to this effect.

I think you have already seen the post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...95&postcount=4
which to me implies it will be worse, since it should be like the Max Lumi 2 which is worse because of the nature of the surface foil. (Not so much the flush screen, but the type of material used.) I suspect the Max Lumi 1 has a similar material, but not as extreme.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:22 PM   #7
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I have my Note Air 2 next to me right now. If the frontlight is off, then contrast is not that good. It would not be suitable for reading with the frontlight off - at least not for me! With the frontlight on, contrast is fine. I see no blurriness. Glare is not a problem when I read indoors by a lamp. I can see glare if I am at certain angles to some light sources, but I have to hunt for those angles. The text looks sharp. I don't see pixels at normal reading distances.

I have done a fair amount of reading with my Note Air 2. The only adjustment I needed to make compared to my Nova 2 is the larger size of the device. After a while, the larger size becomes normal!

Overall, I am very pleased with my Note Air 2. Feel free to ask any questions that might help you decide if this device os or isn't for you.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 06:04 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Are there larger than 8" eink with more pixels than the top resolution 7.8" and 8" models?

I have a 7.8" Mars and was thinking of a larger one for old scanned books. Many I want to read have been out of print 50 to 150 years. The 10" Yoga LCD and the 7.8" eink Mars are both tiring on those for different reasons.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 06:06 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is no eInk screen larger then 8" at 300DPI.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 10:04 AM   #10
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
Quote:
I am also surprised at the blurriness. I was expecting the possibility of slight pixelation of text, as the PPI is lower than my other devices (300PPI and 270-280 on my A5 Pro), but not the blurriness. It almost makes my eyes water reading for a long time.

The thing is that low PPI in and of itself, as j.p.s. rightly points out, isn't a big obstacle for reading. I read on my Kindle 2 for years. It has horrible contrast and low PPI with clear pixels showing, but fantastic sharpness - no touch layer, no frontlight, no flush glass screen, etc.

I would prefer to buy an Android device, which would allow me to use all my dictionary software and sync my book collection seamlessly between my devices. But if the Note Air 2 screen is also bad, there'd be no point in getting it.
There's a guy on youtube who does a lot of reviews of e-ink tablets and he was wowed with the Kobo Elipsa's screen. It's the main reason I have interest in getting one. I am quite sure it would correct the problem of blurry text.

I'm watching and waiting to see which manufacturer is going to be first to release an 8 inch or larger device with e-ink's On-Cell screen, which supposedly eliminates the need for the touch layer and thereby improves contrast (and hopefully clarity, too).
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:26 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It's an integrated touch layer, so will slightly improve it, but not as good as the last Kobo H2O with IR touch (no extra layers).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 03:43 AM   #12
kandwo
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
I have my Note Air 2 next to me right now. If the frontlight is off, then contrast is not that good. It would not be suitable for reading with the frontlight off - at least not for me! With the frontlight on, contrast is fine. I see no blurriness. Glare is not a problem when I read indoors by a lamp. I can see glare if I am at certain angles to some light sources, but I have to hunt for those angles. The text looks sharp. I don't see pixels at normal reading distances.

I have done a fair amount of reading with my Note Air 2. The only adjustment I needed to make compared to my Nova 2 is the larger size of the device. After a while, the larger size becomes normal!

Overall, I am very pleased with my Note Air 2. Feel free to ask any questions that might help you decide if this device os or isn't for you.
Is the contrast worse than on your Nova 2 with the frontlight off?

I mostly read with the frontlight off, so that would make it problematic.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:11 AM   #13
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Is the contrast worse than on your Nova 2 with the frontlight off?

I mostly read with the frontlight off, so that would make it problematic.
I have never tried either device with the frontlight off, so I'll check that out.

With the frontlight off, the contrast in both devices is nearly identical. That said, I wouldn't want to read on either device this way. There isn't enough contrast for my tastes. One more thing to be aware of: glare is noticeable on the Note Air 2 with the frontlight off. It's not terrible, and it's possible to shift position to eliminate it, but it's a factor.

If you usually read with the frontlight off, you might want to look elsewhere. I always read with the frontlight on, and am very satisfied with the Note Air 2.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote